The Firearms Forum banner

Received Enfield No.9 Mk.1 bayo - now need gun (Bob?)

1K views 0 replies 0 participants last post by  cointoss2 
G
#1 ·
RobC in Missouri
V.I.P. Member
(1/1/02 8:15:35 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del All Received Enfield No.9 Mk.1 bayo - now need gun (Bob?)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Secret Santa sent me, among other things, a very nice Enfield No.9 Mk.I bayo, complete with matching scabbard. The sticker on it says it's for a No.4 Mk.II. Only problem is, I don't own any Enfields. Would anyone care to help out? Bob in StL, you're local, got any Enfields you can part with?

BTW, prefix on bayo and scabbard is PF. Is that an arsenal abbreviation?

Also received a mint Yugo bayo among other items, but that Enfield bayo sure is cool looking.

RobC in Missouri

Bob In St Louis
Senior Chief Moderator Staff
(1/1/02 9:14:22 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Received Enfield No.9 Mk.1 bayo - now need gun (Bob?)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dang Enfields and their numbering system - I have some Enfield No. 4 Mk I rifles, and the spike bayonets for those are marked "No. 4, Mk II" - now if I remember right, the No. 9 Mk I is a blade bayonet version with the socket base. I believe it will fit on the No. 4 Mk I rifles (the No. 4 Mk II is just a one step further variation, and I believe it has the same bayonet mounting system).

I currently have some No. 4 Mk I rifles that came out of some middle eastern or eastern country - on one of them is some strange script (Indonesian?) These have very dark wood stocks, and some of the metal parts black painted. These are going around $125. I currently have some arsenal rebuilt No. 4 Mk I rifles on order from Navy Arms. These should be in a lot better condition, and I believe they have a lighter colored wood stock. These will be about $175.

I also have some No. 1 MK III rifles with Arabic writing on the arsenal disks, plus more on order from SOG. I am also waiting on some "2A" No. 1 Mk III rifles (.308 caliber, made by India in the 1960s) to come in.

Anyway, building up the selection of Enfields, and should have a good spread at the MACA show in St. Charles, MO (weekend of Jan 1 and at the Machinist Hall Show, weekend of Jan 25.
Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

RobC in Missouri
V.I.P. Member
(1/1/02 11:18:32 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Enfields
Well shoot, I'll have to make it a point to track down your tables at either or both shows and see what you can set me up with (I think I may actually have some cash by that time). Perhaps even take that adj. sight JW-15 off your hands as well.

I've probably asked before, but just in case, do you do trades other than Spanish steel?

Thinking about hitting the upcoming Columbia show and see what that's all about. Understand there's one in KC coming up as well, but that's quite a drive.

BTW, and this is to the other board members out there who haven't met or dealt with Bob. I've been attending gun shows since the mid '80s or so, and Bob ranks up there with one of the best - one of the nicest guys you could meet. There are some unsavory characters out there, but Bob ain't one of them.

RobC in Missouri

TallTLynn
(1/1/02 11:22:43 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Enfields
Rob,

Bob is indeed a very good man. I had the pleasure of meeting him at a BBQ in Missouri last year.
TLynn

Bob In St Louis
(1/2/02 1:30:05 pm)
Well, UPS just came with a shipment from Navy Arms - I'll have to let you know what they look like. I also still have the Chinese 22s.

Later -

Bob In St Louis
(1/3/02 8:14:48 am)
OK - the five arsenal reconditioned No. 4 Mk I rifles from Navy Arms look excellent. I got two that are Long Branch marked dated 1943, two that are unmarked dated 1942, and one unmarked dated 1944. The rifles have been completely redone - the stocks almost look like new wood, well finished. The metal work has all been repainted (of course, the ubiquitous black paint used on Enfields) but in some places you can see a hint of pitting from it's previous life. The bolts are nice and shiny, and halfway look like they may have a brushed chrome finish. The bores are very good to excellent. On one of the rifles, one side of the magazine had not been repainted, and was showing a worn original blueing. I grabbed my trusty can of flat black barbecue grill spray paint, and gave it a quick pass over - voila! Enfield black. That is about the only problem I saw in all five rifles.

If you are looking for an excellent Enfield No. 4 Mk I and don't mind the arsenal refinish, these are an excellent deal.

RobC in Missouri
V.I.P. Member
(1/3/02 1:09:22 pm)
Well, I'll just have to have a looksee at what you got at the MACA and/or Bridgeton shows to put this bayo on an appropriate rifle. We'll see if you can fix me up with something?

One more question - the bayo has a "PF" prefix - I've seen talk that certain serial number ranges in the PF series were Burmese contract rifles. Any thoughts? What manufacturer is "PF" anyway - or is it just some generic code?

BTW, you going the the SLAAA meeting Tuesday?

RobC in Missouri

Bob In St Louis
(1/3/02 1:31:04 pm)
Now that I am getting back into these Enfields, I need to dig up some reference literature on them. I am not sure what the "PF" prefix means (Parts Failure? Puppy Farts? Purely F***ed-up?). I also have a bunch of No. 4 Mk I rifles with no manufacturer name on them, that I am wondering if something can be gleaned from the serial number sequences. I have figured out the Long Branch rifles are serial numbered with 2 numbers, then "L" then 4 or five numbers. Ah, a whole new world of history to delve into.

As far as I know, I will be at the meeting Tuesday night, God willin' an' the creek don't rise.

Bob In St Louis
(1/3/02 9:34:56 pm)
By the way, I was ordering some bayonets today to stock up for the gunshows, and ordered some Enfield No. 9 Mk I bayonets. I don't expect these to be in too great of condition though.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.