The Firearms Forum banner

Received my bullet molds today

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  JLA 
#1 ·
My Mail Lady honked her horn this morning so she could give me a package from my brother in Rockport Tx.. He sent me two bullet molds, one .454 for .45Long Colts and the other for .45ACP (.452).
I am waiting to receive the next bot he has mailed. It contains a full Lee reloader set, press, dies, scale and powder dippers and more.
He has been trying for years to get me into reloading, I guess he finally won the battle.
My work shop has a 2x12x24"wide shop bench 16 feet long, so plenty of space for reloading. Now I just need to find the best prices to buy all my supplies.
Powder
Primers
Cases
Lead
Lube
I do plan to purchase a tumbler when I find a good buy on one, New or Used.
Any ideas on a good lead hot pot?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Those look like LEE molds. Good deal. if they are. I find LEE molds are so much easier to cast with than steel.

Deacon, i didnt reaslize you were going to cast as well. I have an offer for you if you are interested. I sold all of my casting equipment last year and got out of it altogether. I still have my homemade stick molds for making both solid and hollow lube sticks, all my silicone pans for pan lubing, and a whole pot thats still about half full of bullet lube I made myself from beeswax and SBGO. It isnt BP lube, But I found it superior for smokeless pistol loads. Ill donate it to your new found hobby. PM me and we can work out the details if youre interested. I am probably going to be making a trip out your way to Lone Star off I20 to grab some powder sometime this weekend. Id be glad to meet up with you and bring you all of it.

#5 ·
For your melting pot, I recommend a Lee bottom pour model. I have the 10lb kind and I love the bottom pour feature. It really is easy to cast this way. For a tumbler, there are many kinds out there. I have the vibratory kind. It will hold a lot of brass although if I have a lot of brass to clean, I do it in separate batches.

#8 ·
i priced the name brand vibe tumblers.. they all looked exactly like the harbor freight one.. except costing 2-3x as much. i got mine on sale 20% off the low price.. even got the extended +3 yr warranty on it.. still came in 2-3x under the name brand units. works great.

used to have a roller tumbler for rock polishing. it worked.. but I don't miss it now...

#13 ·
ok so what does a bullet mold do?
pour a lead/alloy in, it cools.. pop it open, and you have cast projectiles for reloading..e tc..
Beth I was gonna be a smart ass and say... molds bullets, but I was afraid youd reach thru the computers and smack me silly.. :D

Attachments

#14 ·
Those look like LEE molds. Good deal. if they are. I find LEE molds are so much easier to cast with than steel.

Deacon, i didnt reaslize you were going to cast as well. I have an offer for you if you are interested. I sold all of my casting equipment last year and got out of it altogether. I still have my homemade stick molds for making both solid and hollow lube sticks, all my silicone pans for pan lubing, and a whole pot thats still about half full of bullet lube I made myself from beeswax and SBGO. It isnt BP lube, But I found it superior for smokeless pistol loads. Ill donate it to your new found hobby. PM me and we can work out the details if youre interested. I am probably going to be making a trip out your way to Lone Star off I20 to grab some powder sometime this weekend. Id be glad to meet up with you and bring you all of it.
The generosity of the members and moderators of this site never cease to amaze me. I love this site

#15 ·
JLA sent me some of his Bullet Balm! I have been using it reloading 45lc over Trail Boss powder. IT WORKS GREAT!! good thing he gave me the recipe for it, since hes no longer making it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.