recently inherited marlin 783 .22 mag rifle problem..

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by conservative-texan86, Dec 30, 2009.

1. conservative-texan86

conservative-texan86 New Member

I recently inherited a .22 wmr bolt action marlin 783 model micro groove rifle form. My grandpa whom I never knew. He passed on while I was in my mommas womb, but my dad gave his rifle to me for christmas. I oiled up the rifle real good and got all the rust outta the barrel ( it hasn't been shot it in about 15 years) and went to a local academy to buy some rounds to test it out.. the guy at the register said the wmr rounds didn't matter so much, even though the barrel says to only use those rounds. I shot it that day and it worked good as if right out of the box but wen I loaded the rounds in the tubular magazine, they wouldn't kick up into the chamber . I don't know if its cuz its old or its because the jackass at the counter sold me the wrong rounds. The rounds tilt right, but when I slide the bolt closed, they cock and inhibit them from entering the barrel. Please excuse me if my terminology isn't correct, I'm 23 and am a recent gun nut. Can anyone help me with this problem?
  2. muddober

muddober Active Member

Your terminology is just fine but feeding problems like you are describing at least for me to help I have to see. I would think that if you found a good gunsmith it shouldn't cost much to have him fix it. I am pretty sure it is some little tweak or just a good cleaning and it should work.

You make mention of perhaps the wrong ammo and as far as know 22 mag ammo is all the same but your comment has caused me to question if perhaps you got your hands on some new manufactured 22 WRF which looks very close to 22 RFM. You might want to take a look just for fun. 22 WRF is a 100+ year old cartridge that has become popular enough that some new ammo has been produced and that could be your problem. I think (not sure) you can chamber 22 WRF in a 22 RFM but not the other way around which would account for you being able to shoot it but they won't feed because the rim diameter and thickness is slightly different.

I hope I helped and did not confuse you.

Ron
  3. REPEATER

REPEATER New Member

you need the right round. mine will hand load them, but when you slide the bolt back the casing stays gripped to the bolt. also a weak round in comparison. the wmr are twice as loud and are at the verge of a slight kick lol. i believe slightly longer as well. could be wrong on that, but thats what my memory serves me( 5 years later)
  4. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

did u completely strip it down
  5. REPEATER

REPEATER New Member

Mine is as we speak.. new stain, urethane and blackening. the scope will be back on it within a week. gonna shoot for a blackish stain. just finished sanding it merely hours ago.
  6. REPEATER

REPEATER New Member

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012