Recognizing a Stroke

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TRAP55, Jun 28, 2009.

1. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member

Last thurs night my dad had a mini stroke that dropped him to his knees. We've suspected that he's had at least 4 in the last two years. But dad is an old hardhead and would never let my mom call 911. After I learned about it from her, I told her not to take any crap off of him, and do it anyway, it saved his life this time, and so far no ill effects.
    He got a real wake up call in the ICU, the lady in the bed next to him waited 4hrs to call, she's still in a coma.
    A friend of mine posted this, I made a copy and gave it to mom, thank God she remembered it. If you even think someone is having a stroke, quickly give them this three step test. If there's any doubt they passed, call 911 ASAP!
    That first golden 3 hours can mean all the difference in the outcome, the sooner the better.

Recognizing a Stroke

A Neurologist says that if he can get to a stroke victim within 3 hours he can totally reverse the effects of a stroke...totally. He said the trick was getting a stroke recognized, diagnosed and getting to the patient within 3 hours which is tough.

RECOGNIZING A STROKE
    Thank God for the sense to remember the "3" steps. Read and Learn! Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify.
    Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim may suffer brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of a stroke.
    Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three simple questions:

1. Ask the individual to SMILE.

2. Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS.

3. Ask the person to SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE (Coherently) (i.e. . . It is sunny out today) If he or she has trouble with any of these tasks, call 9-1-1 immediately and describe the symptoms to the dispatcher.

After discovering that a group of non-medical volunteers could identify facial weakness, arm weakness and speech problems, researchers urged the general public to learn the three questions. They presented their conclusions at the American Stroke Association's annual meeting last February. Widespread use of this test could result in prompt diagnosis and treatment of the stroke and prevent brain damage.]
  2. pinecone70

pinecone70 New Member

Everyone should know what the signs are, timing is very important in stroke treatment. I hope your dad is doing okay.
  3. ckill1

ckill1 New Member

Prayers sent for your Pops, Trap...hope he gets better quickly!

Old men with "hard heads" are the toughest nuts to crack when it comes to patient teaching in the ICU, they are so set in their ways and hate to ask for help from ANYONE that sometimes help comes to late. It is always a breakthrough moment when one has a close enough call to scare the beejeezus outa them but not serious enough to cause irepairable(sp?) harm.

Chris
  4. Blackhawk Dave

Blackhawk Dave New Member

Trans-aschemic attacks can mimic a stroke, but leave you with no lasting damage. But it really, really doesn't hurt to assume it's a stroke unless proven otherwise.

Step No. 1 - if you think it's a stroke, take an aspirin. It's a blood thinner and will help. If you're 60, take one every day (unless you're already on blood thinners). Do that before anything else.
  5. Excellent post, Trap, and information that could easily save someone's life.
  6. pawn

pawn New Member

prayers sent and thanks for the info.

the 1st time i witnessed a person experiencing as stroke was downtown Minneapolis back in the early 90's. a group of us were in a japanese restaurant and an older gentlemen in the group suddenly began slurring his words heavily. 911 was called immediately and my associate was fortunate to receive the care he did as quickly as it was provided. that event has stuck with me to this day.

in the years there after i've had to call 911 twice to assist others with stroke symptoms.
  7. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Active Member

Are you sure about that? I thought that a stroke was caused by blood leakage in the brain. The last thing that you'd want is to thin the blood more.

I do know, that if you are having a heart attack....eat an aspirin as soon as possible. A heart attack is caused by a clot.
  8. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Chief sent me an item similar to this last week. It contained a FOURTH sign with which to check for stroke. It is as follows:

[FONT=&quot]
    New Sign of a Stroke -------- Stick out Your Tongue[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]

NOTE: Another 'sign' of a stroke is this: Ask the person to 'stick' out his tongue.. If the tongue is 'crooked', if it goes to one side or the other[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot], [/FONT][FONT=&quot]that is also an indication of a stroke.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
    Thought I'd add it here. One can't have too many ways to check for this serious condition.[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
  9. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Strokes are caused by clots/blockage. A burst blood vessel is a hemorrhage/aneurism. My wife had a mini stroke about 3 months ago, she is doing well at this time. Her crooked tounge was the only sing she exhibited. She also suffers from clots, and is on Cumindin (spelling), her doctor still has her taking 1 baby aspirin per day, just something about aspirin I guess. All should be taking a baby aspirin every day, if you are over 50.
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
  10. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Some great reminders that we WILL run into eventually, Thanks for posting. I wasn't aware of these simple methods, glad I am now.
  11. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Talk to your doctor before going on the asprin regimine. I happen to know personally someone who died because he already had "thin" blood and started the aspirin regimine.

Asprin IS definitely recommended for someone with the signs of heart attack.

Pops
  12. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I had a heart attack and five bypasses 4 1/2 years ago. I have been taking one baby aspirin (81mg anyway) every day since then. Thanks for the signs of a stroke, I did not know this and it is some great information