Recoil/ flinch

Discussion in 'Informational & Technical Archives' started by ruffitt, Feb 24, 2003.

1. ruffitt

ruffitt *TFF Admin Staff* In Heaven Now

Smoky14
    (12/1/01 10:54:45 am)
    | Edit | Del All Recoil/ flinch
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Help guys. All of a sudden I seem to be experiencing recoil anticipation. I caught my self doing it during some deliberate slow fire.
    Is there some way to stop this problem in its tracks?
    I've seen other people do it to the point they almost shot themselves in the foot but since it wasn't happining to me thought little about it.
    Any suggestions.

warpig883
    (12/1/01 11:12:25 am)
    | Edit | Del Re: Recoil/ flinch
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Smoky I don't know if this will work for you but it does for some. Balance a dime on the barrel and practice your trigger sqeeze so the dime will not fall off when the firing pin falls. Your trigger squeeze should be with the tip of your finger and slow and gental so it is a surprise when the firing pin falls. The point is a jerk of the trigger and a flinch because you know it is going to happen versus a slow squeeze and boom it catches you by surprise and no flinch. It also helps to have a light trigger pull and not a very heavy one.

When all else fails get out the .22 and practise a few 1000 rounds.

It is all a mental thing unless you have recently done something to your gun to make the recoil hurt?
    Trust and forgive

Different name
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (12/1/01 2:48:24 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Recoil/ flinch
    Only thing I can think of....
    Smoky, check with Agunguy, he's the most
    literate person on this subject I know.
    Gunguy is a most interesting an intelligent person.
    He never stops talking. (Days and days ata time!)
    Charlie D

gpostal
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (12/1/01 3:20:34 pm)
    smoky

i only get it after a day of shooting
    .44 mag hot loads
    then like warpig said a few rounds of .22 rimfire
    brings it back to normal
    as soon as i notice the flinch i stop shooting anyway
    it becomes involantary and
    can't hit crap

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (12/1/01 7:57:05 pm)
    Flinching comes in two varieties. Some shooters try to anticipate the shot and push forward on the pistol just as they think it is about to go off. this usually causes the shots to go off to the left. The second type is the shooter can't stand the tension as he is waiting for the pistol to go off and jerks the trigger. This usually throws the shots off to the right.
    One of the best ways to stop flinching is the "ball and dummy". Have someone load a magazine with mixed live and dummy ammo. Not knowing for sure if the pistol will go off, the shooter will flinch on a dummy round, and can definitely see his sights move.
    Until you are convinced you are flinching, this is a hard habit to break.

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/1/01 8:06:13 pm)
    shoot slower. squeeze slower. be surprised.
    shoot something non-punishing for a while.

Xracer
    (12/1/01 8:28:24 pm)
    Are you flinching....or "pulling" the trigger? Try squeeeeeeezing the trigger slooooooowly, so you don't know when it's going to go off. Try doing this.....if it eliminates the problem, just shorten the time of the squeeze a little at a time until you're back to your normal shot time.

A Professional
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/1/01 8:29:51 pm)
    Buy some snap caps and practice your trigger pull ALOT. I found that once I got a really good feel for how my trigger worked, it helped my flinching a ton. I'd rather not be suprised myself. Remember its ALL in the head.

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (12/1/01 8:58:35 pm)
    When target shooting, you should never know when the pistol is going to fire. Keep your sights aligned and as much on the target as possible.
    As you stop your breath, apply a gradual but steadily increasing pull on the trigger.

Smoky14
    (12/1/01 9:03:11 pm)
    I seem to be going left and low. I shot again this afternoon and I seem to be pushing more that jerking. With a rest under my hands the gun shot at point of aim.
    It's as if my wrist is breaking downward in anticipation of the discharge.
    Maybe it' time to get the Mark II out and smoke with it for a day
    Thanks for all the tips; I'll try them all...Keep'em coming

polishshooter
    (12/1/01 10:33:24 pm)
    Shoot with a friend, have him load the weapon, use ONE dummy round where you never know where it is in the mag or cylinder, have him stand behind you, shoot the entire mag for a group, and if the weapon moves at ALL when it goes "click," have him kick you right in the ass HARD.

Sooner or later the kick will be what you anticipate, not the recoil...it works...

We did that in our IPSC days when somebody developed it...and believe me my ass was SORE some days...
    We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

Xracer
    (12/2/01 9:33:48 am)
    OK Smoky.....sounds like you might indeed be "breaking your wrist"......but....

Let's go back to square one. What kind of gun are you shooting? What kind of loads? Range? Targets? What stance are you using?

AGunguy
    (12/2/01 9:45:12 am)
    Awww, Charlie...I ain't that bad am I???

Gunguy

polishshooter
    (12/2/01 10:25:28 am)
    But now that I think about it, the best medicine I've found for eliminating flinch is to buy and shoot a flintlock...no kidding. Even a rifle will work.

Even a good flint has a tiny bit of lock time (Click-flash-boom)no matter how good the conditions or how clean it is...but as it gets dirty, or conditions change, it can get longer, sometimes in the same string...when you get the Click-Flash.............-boom...you know exactly if you are flinching...because you miss. You really have to concentrate on holding the sight picture and follow through even with hammers and frizzens flying in your peripheral vision, and sparks and flashes in your face...

Maybe it's because you CAN'T fire continuously and keep repeating it without diagnosis is what makes it work, but whenever I think I have it, I haul out the old flint rifle...to hit consistent Xs you simply CANNOT flinch at all...

I really think since I got my flint rifle about 15 years ago I've become a better all around shooter, even with my handguns.

And I got my first deer at 75 yds with it, in the freezing rain, it went "click" twice before it fired, (stupid young deer) the second click I jerked the hell out of it, flinched like crazy, if it would have went off I'd have missed by a mile, the third time was a charm, concentrated this time, Click..flash......boom. Lung shot, 75 yds, dead deer.
    We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915