recoil help

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by jchief, Aug 16, 2009.

1. jchief

jchief New Member

Good day eveyone. Lousiana changed thier law and now allows center fire rifles for the primitive weapons hunt. See list below:
    SINGLE SHOT BREECHLOADING RIFLES WHICH ARE PRIMITIVE WEAPONS:
    Sharps rifles or replicas
    Remington Rollingblock rifles or replicas
    Ballard rifles
    Maynard rifles or carbines
    Burnside carbines
    Frank Wesson rifles
    Farrow rifles
    Remington Hepburn rifles
    M1873 – 1888 Springfield (Trapdoor) Rifles and Carbines and replicas
    Snider (British) rifles or replicas
    Wesson & Harrington 1871 Rifles
    New England Firearms or Harrington & Richardson Handi Rifles in caliber larger than .38
    Winchester M1885 Hi Wall or Lo Wall rifles or replicas (Also Browning B78 or 1885) .38 or larger
    Knight KP-1 in caliber .38 or larger
    CVA Optima Elite in caliber .38 or larger
    Traditions Pursuit break-open single shot in .38 caliber or larger

Anywho, looking for one of the above in about a $$300 to $400 price range. Issue is I have had several surgeries on my neck and have to worry aobut too much recoil. I am afraid the 45.70 wll be too much entirely. I have spoke to several who have the Handi-rifle in the 45.70 and love the gun. Is there any other caliber that would not have that much recoiln and still be accurate out to about 150 yards. Should i look at other rifles also? the Handi with a scope is in the $350 range.

thanks for any help.
  2. quigleysharps4570

quigleysharps4570 New Member

If you could find one chambered for the 38-55 cartridge it would be easy on you.
    I reload that particular cartridge for a friend who has a levergun...he deer hunts with it every year.
    Far as that Handi-Rifle in a 45-70...I've a smokeless load with 535gr. bullets that they wouldn't love shooting out of it.
  3. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

45 Colt / 44 mag, either would be good from one of the single shot rifles. I would only use the 45 Colt if you reload. It is not a strong cartridge otherwise. 44 mag would be fine right off the shelf, better if reloaded with 300 gr bullet.

You could go 500 mag but they are super expensive.
  4. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

if you're hunting white tails you might try a handi rifle in 357. it will bring one down if you can shoot decent
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    The Harrington & Richardson Handi Rifles come in .44 Mag.(might be a little too much for you), and .357 Mag. a great deer round, and the recoil shouldn't be too much.
  6. Sandman

Sandman Member

Technically, the .357 won't be legal (.38 caliber and above). I know about .38's through a .357, but the local game warden might not accept that argument. Be better to stick with the .44 to be safe.
  7. Oldeyes

Oldeyes Member

A NEF Handi-Rifle in .45-70 is not a real neck snapper or shoulder bruiser if you stick to mild loads like the Remington .405 grain loads listed as "safe for use in all rifles". Those are pretty mild .45-70 commercial loadings and they are pretty much ideal for usage in lighter rifles and Contender pistols. Those lighter commercial loads can also be approximated quite easily by hand loading. Once you get out of the "safe for use in all rifles" .45-70 commercial loadings there are number of neck snappers and shoulder hurters out there.
  8. carver

carver Moderator

SINGLE SHOT BREECHLOADING RIFLES WHICH ARE PRIMITIVE WEAPONS:
    Sharps rifles or replicas
    Remington Rollingblock rifles or replicas
    Ballard rifles
    Maynard rifles or carbines
    Burnside carbines
    Frank Wesson rifles
    Farrow rifles
    Remington Hepburn rifles
    M1873 – 1888 Springfield (Trapdoor) Rifles and Carbines and replicas
    Snider (British) rifles or replicas
    Wesson & Harrington 1871 Rifles
    New England Firearms or Harrington & Richardson Handi Rifles in caliber larger than .38
    Winchester M1885 Hi Wall or Lo Wall rifles or replicas (Also Browning B78 or 1885) .38 or larger
    Knight KP-1 in caliber .38 or larger
    CVA Optima Elite in caliber .38 or larger
    Traditions Pursuit break-open single shot in .38 caliber or larger

.38 is legal, as would be the .357 for primitive hunting in LA
  9. carver

carver Moderator

http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/pdfs/hunting/regulations/2009-2010 Hunting Regulations.pdf

"It is illegal to hunt or shoot deer with firearms smaller than .22 caliber center-fire or a shotgun loaded with anything other than buckshot or rifled slug. Handguns may be used for hunting".

Untill around 1975 this used to read as follows: "It is illegal to hunt or shoot deer with firearms smaller than .22 caliber or a shotgun loaded with anything other than buckshot or rifled slug. Handguns may be used for hunting".

That's when the words, center-fire were added.
  10. tim peterson

tim peterson Member

Howdy,heres something you might think about. I to have a lot of screws and plates in my neck. Back in 2004 I bought my first 12ga in 3.5 inch shells. The first time I shot a magnum 3 1/2 inch shell felt like I had been hit in the face by a 10lb hammer ! Thats when I found Simms recoil pads there simply the best. The new model can cut felt recoil by 50 60 percent or more. They work so good for me that I can shot a 338mag and a 300win mag. there made by Simms vibration lab, and I belive they are standerd equipment on some American made shotguns. Best of luck, and good hunting !