The Firearms Forum banner

Recoil Spring Plug Doesn't Look Right

3K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Hawg 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok I was field stripping my pistol and for some reason let the factory Springfield recoil spring plug go flying, can't find it, and ended up ordering a new one from MidwayUSA.

I got the weapon assembled and noticed that the end of the plug sticks out past the bushing about 1/8".

Is that the way it's supposed to be because my Springfield part was flush with the bushing before.

Should I just take a grinder and grind on it to get it flush, or does anybody know if there is a manufacturer that makes them right? This is an STI part because I wanted the blued/parkerized color.

Could I just call Springfield to get a new one?

BTW, the STI part I have is perfectly flush with the thick EGW bushing I have, only problem is the thick EGW bushing is loose as heck and I don't use it.

I just can't seem to find a replacement one anywhere.

#2 ·
Ok I was field stripping my pistol and for some reason let the factory Springfield recoil spring plug go flying, can't find it, and ended up ordering a new one from MidwayUSA.

I got the weapon assembled and noticed that the end of the plug sticks out past the bushing about 1/8".

Is that the way it's supposed to be because my Springfield part was flush with the bushing before.

Should I just take a grinder and grind on it to get it flush, or does anybody know if there is a manufacturer that makes them right? This is an STI part because I wanted the blued/parkerized color.

Could I just call Springfield to get a new one?

BTW, the STI part I have is perfectly flush with the thick EGW bushing I have, only problem is the thick EGW bushing is loose as heck and I don't use it.

I just can't seem to find a replacement one anywhere.
Don't grind it. There all kinds of plugs on eBay and GB do a search you'll find one that will work.

#4 ·
The spring plug is fine.

Didn't you buy a Springfield Loaded model ?
Yes but during re-assembly, I - like a dingbat, let the factory one go flying and I was unable to locate it. Then as a replacement I ordered one from MidwayUSA and it sticks out past the bushing (it's not flush). It is for the two-piece full length guide rod and I just wanted to keep it around in case I ever want to sell the piece so I have all the original parts it came with.

I sent an e-mail to Springfield to see if I could possibly get another one, but I haven't heard back yet.

#6 ·

Here are some pics of it. It just seems like it should be flush with the bushing and not stick out past it like that.

#9 ·
Looks like it's for a "thick" flange bushing, which look nice the look of it wouldn't bother me

#10 ·
shoot that aint even a sixteenth of an inch. I say leave it. Nobodys gonna notice. ;)

#11 ·
does anyone know if there's one like this but made for a standard bushing? i've looked all over but all i can find are stainless ones. no parkd or blued.

#12 ·
What do you mean std bushing? A 1911 barrel bushing is a 1911 barrel bushing. they all fit the same and serve the same purpose. The spring plugs are different, there are hollow ones for use with FL guides and there are closed ones with checkered ends for use with std guides. That what you mean?

#13 ·
What do you mean std bushing? A 1911 barrel bushing is a 1911 barrel bushing. they all fit the same and serve the same purpose. The spring plugs are different, there are hollow ones for use with FL guides and there are closed ones with checkered ends for use with std guides. That what you mean?
Yes hollow recoil spring plug but that doesn't stick out far like the one I have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.