recoil spring question

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by skullfr, Aug 12, 2012.

1. skullfr

skullfr New Member

I have a cz-82 in 9x18.I need to replace the recoil spring.Wolf spring has 3 weights.14,16 and 18lb.It says the 14 is factory but was considering the 16 because when the 12 round mag is full it is pretty stiff to strip rounds.Would this be a good idea.
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Why not buy the 14 AND 16 springs? They can't be that much and the shipping cost will be the same for 2 as 1.

Jim
  3. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

However, I don't see how an increase in recoil spring strength will aid in striping cartridges from the magazine.. are you having problems in feeding now?
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

skullfr:

It is possible that the increase in recoil spring will help striping rounds off the top of the magazine...more force to push on them, but there could be a problem.

Any semi-auto gun is usually set up at the factory to feed the lightest recoil normally available ammo. As the gun ages the recoil spring can loose some of its strength. So regular replacement is not a bad idea. I'd buy the 14 and the 16 pounders and try the 14 pounder first. If it makes feeding better than use it. If it doesn't then try the 16 pounder.

But there is a problem with increasing the spring strength. It may eliminate the possibility of using lighter recoiling ammo. And it may beat up the gun more as the slide is slammed closed harder. It is almost always best to stick with the recoil spring strength originally in the gun. The manufacturer probably has already tested all possibilities and what he recommends is probably the best compromise. Just a new spring in and of itself may solve the feeding problem. You may also try loading one less round in the mag.

LDBennett
  5. skullfr

skullfr New Member

Thanks guys.I think Ill just get both.It is the original as far as I know and I bought it used.Every once in a while it will fail to go in full battery and only requires a small tap to fully close.I was kinda afraid of using a stiffer one.Thanks.I only fire one kind as a primary,Hornady critical defense and use silver bear for plinking.Both are same weight and have the same characteristics except the hornady uses the XTP bullet.
  6. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

The CZ 82 is a military firearm and is designed to use full power ammo from a 12 round magazine. . If it fails to sometimes go into battery I would first look for other problems . Either way, replacing the original 14 pound or replacement 16 lbs would be an upgrade and would do no harm.
  7. skullfr

skullfr New Member

I dont think it is ammo related.The ammo is 1000fps at muzzle and the best ammo I can find.The only drawback with the silver bear is it is not as reliable on expansion as the hornady and I bought it used as it is a surplus weapon and I have ran over 2000 rounds through it.I feel it may just be a lil weak.