Recomendation on Ammo for the Glock 19 9mm

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Insulation Tim, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Bear with me here. I'm a 61 year old gun newbie.

Last week I purchasesd a new S&W 8 shot 22 cal revolver. Neat little gun that is very inexpensive to go to the range with.

Today, I purchased a new Glock 19 in 9mm caliber. I purchased a box of 20 Federal super killer somethings as the Home Defense round but they were over a dollar a round. Now my question. What would be the recomendations on ammo for the range? I'm looking to save money....not necessarily make the loudest noise.

As you gents gave me good guidance on my first gun purchase (of many I suspect) I thought that I'd start here.

Thanks in advance.
  2. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

I don't like steel case ammo but the Glock should be able to run the cheapest ammo you can find. You will have to try different types to find what works best for you.
  3. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

as much as i dislike glocks or any other plastic pistols i will say this. the glock will feed just about anything you feed it. go to walmart and buy some cheap white box 9mm and bang away. non reloadable blazer 9mm works well too. as do most reloads/range ammo. this covers the practice now for serious shooting/homedefense stick with the good stuff corbon,federal,hornady,remmington stc 115 ,124,5 gr . cocbon +p 115 gr has great results in stopping power tests. just opinions mind you.
  4. Oscar pretty much hit the nail on the head, Tim. Glocks are designed to be self-defense (or military) pistols, not target arms with super fine tolerances. Generally, they will feed just about everything reliably. As Darren has already mentioned, I think it best to avoid steel-cased ammo simply on the theory that it tends to be harder on chambers. The Winchester white box stuff works quite well and I have used it often with absolutely no problems. One thing to remember with a Glock, however, is that it has an octagonal barrel, not a traditional grooved one. Don't shoot leads in it, they will foul the barrel! Stick to jacketed (FMJ, hardball) rounds with a Glock. If you really get into this shooting thing, you may well end up doing some handloading. Properly produced handloads work quite well, just make sure your OAL (overall length) is within stated parameters and the casings are properly resized. Glocks are also extremely strong pistols and shooting +P ammo in them is no problem, though I generally don't shoot many of those on the theory that there is no point in subjecting the pistol to higher pressures merely for target work. With a 9mm (I have a G26), I do carry +P ammo. Personally, I prefer the Speer Gold Dot round, but there are many others out there that are equally effective, the Federal Hydra Shok, for example. Also, even though it is a bit expensive, you should run at least 100 rounds of whatever ammo you choose for self-defense through the pistol simply to make absolutely certain you have no feeding problems. I seriously doubt you will have any problems with any good hollow point round, but it is best to be certain when using it for self-defense.
  5. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

pistol... have you tried the hornady 124 gr jhp tap. non +p. excellent feeder, great expansion when fired into wet phone books. i shot it out of my browning hp and s&w model 39-2 and have been pleased and surprised by ther performance thus far. oh and great catch about the lead loads in the glock, i forgot since i traded the glock off once i got the must have one fever cured and had to see what if anything i was missing.
  6. kevinleif37

kevinleif37 New Member

winchester ammo...works fine for the range and is cheap on the wallet, even comes in 100 round boxes
  7. DoesItMatter

DoesItMatter New Member

Cheapest ammo is usually Wolf Brand or CCI Blazer (not CCI Blazer Brass)

Wolf is usually lacquered steel cases

CCI Blazer is aluminum cases

either way, no reloading at all with these.

CCI Blazer brass is pretty good stuff, and the cases are reloadable.
  8. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

at the risk of coming across poorly. wolf ammo is indeed a cheap ammo and functions well, but i do believe right now more than ever we need to BUY AMERICAN. and before i get over-run with remarks about the american cars being put together with parts from mexico and other such remarks it's just a opinion pay the extra couple bucks and buy your ammo from a american company.oh and stock up before it's taxed beyond belief. i suspect they (dems) wont fight the 2nd ammendment but will plan a sneak attack such as the once tossed around idea by our next pres. to raise the tax 500% on a box of ammo
  9. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Oscarmayer........AMEN on that 1, just to piggyback for a second, .....don't buy PMC ammo anymore either...they shut the plant here down, sent all the employees down the road, and farmed it out to Korea! Notice the PMC box has changed from the red and white to the black and bronze "PMC bronze" label. I really like Federal American Eagle ammo for the range. The 115 fmj states on the box muzzle velocity is 1160 and my chronograph proved it true....every one of 100 shots was between 1150 -1170 thats very good QC in my book. Its also good brass for us reloaders as well.
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2008