The Firearms Forum banner

recomendations on 338lapua

3K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  JLA 
#1 ·
any recs on a gun 338lapua? kinda partial to bolt guns.. etc..

#2 ·
Im partial to the savages. the 110BA is a hard one to beat IMO..

#6 · (Edited)
dunno why but that made me LOL.. Typical forum commando talk I suppose.. A bullet in the X is a bullet in the X. The Savages will shoot with the AIs I have seen it with my own 2 eyes..

In fact the ONLY reason the military doesnt use the Savages is because of the bolt head design. they are rought enough with them to make the cross pins fail in extreme torture tests. Thats it..

#7 · (Edited)
having carried and used AI's for some 20+ years when assigned so , and owned a number of savages ,

i bought Mcmillan as it was the lightest , and i got a great deal as i had them, build me a .416 custom ( a .416 Che Tec wild cat experiment i had them copy on one of theirs )

ALL of them can outshoot any human on the planet , maybe there'll be some freak out there who can do windage and drop and rotational offset in his head and be 100% every shot ,

but theres a awful lot of rifles that will outshoot the freak

go for your needs

short on cash custom 700 actions are competative now

out of the box savage and good glass

something that'll take a knock but cost more ?

AI or a REM made to order ( then you can add another barrel or 20 for other cal rounds ) , its a AI advanced kit on the cheap )

i bought for weight cause i gotta lug it and i got a great deal because of another rifle

so paid Weatherby money for Mc

Sako and Tikka have offerings that they are pushing hard ( or are here)

i do these here from the factory rifle

you can do better and cheaper in the US ..

Attachments

#8 ·
I kinda got it in my head that if you ain't gonna move up to a 50; is the 338 lapua all that much better than say a 30-378, 340, or any of the custom wildcats in 338. My Weatherby bedded in that Mcmillan stock with super light trigger is pretty dang good for long range hunting purposes I guess out to 1000 yards. I see guys with 308s shooting 12 inch plates at 800 yards, consistently, across the river with all the changing winds; kinda amazes me.

I've kicked around having a 338 lapua built (couple friends have big bucks into their Lapuas), cried to the wife how bad I need a 50, end up buying something used on AK list when I can get them cheap enough or buy another nice AR, which is more applicable for my hunting purposes. Drove 400 miles down and back to Tok (ice mud & snow) to pick up that new SCAR yesterday. I figure if she'll let me buy that, I could have a 50 if I act nice for awhile. SO, what caliber would you all buy for 1500 yard shots if you were to buy one or have one built; for moose, caribou? I'd say grizz too, but have had the experience of shooting a grizz too far off.

I get up on our summit and see moose & caribou way off, 1500 yards, I know, I know; waste of time. Then I watch ole Tubbs making those mile shots and get the me too syndrome, ha ha.

#9 ·
Shoot in your case Zhurh. id go with the big fitty and 750 gr Amaxes. Oughtta kill anything on the planet inside of 2000 yds.

#10 ·
if you had to choose between a 338 and a 458lott which would you choose?
All depends on what my needs were, but if it was a free gun, I'd opt for the 338 for longer range options.

#14 ·
JLA, I've heard those low end Barret 50's can be had for $4700. I keep dreaming and talking about one; I was going on last year if ya remember, ha ha.
Armalite AR50 goes for 2500ish and will shoot right along with a barrett.

Bohica manufactures an upper for the AR15 that will handle the big fitty. singleshot tho. and damn affordable. 1800 or so.

#15 ·
what's the practical limit on 458lott?

is it a beater cartridge or something? how would it compair to 416 rigby?
.458 lott is essentially the special version of the .458 win mag. its an african big 5 hunting cartridge. not to be taken lightly. inside of 200 yds it is like a shoulder fired howitzer.. I say 200 because of the rainbow trajectory of the meteor like projectiles. They run out of velocity fast and gravity reminds them that they arent airplanes rather quickly. But boy do they hit. Dont hold me to it but I think the lott generates in the ballpark of 8500 ft lbs of energy on target at 100 yds. Thats 3 times the .30-06

#17 ·
ouch that's alot of foot pounding!

when you refer to big 5? what do you group in the 'big 5'

375 h&h or 338 lapua in there?

any of the 416 in there ( rem/rig/etc )

thanks
Cartridges suitable to take the 'big 5' are anything equaling or exceeding the power of the .375 H&H. The .375 ruger is quickly becoming very very popular because its flat shooting and more powerful.

I think the .338 lapua would be a good choice for longer range shots at the big 5 but you have to use top end bullets. Barnes TSXs for sure., and Id still be hesitant to use it on the bigger cats.. Its got the velocity and the accuracy. problem is the bullets are on the light side due to bore diameter.

#19 ·
African Big 5 are:

Leopard
Lion
Cape Buffalo
Black Rhino
African Elephant

Hippos are not considered game animals.

#21 ·
I have a two friends that have the Savage JLA is talking about and they are great guns...........but when you look at the cost of the ammo.......why not just get a 50 cal?

#22 ·
Problem with the big fitty is finding a range that will allow it. 99% of them wont because of its extreme range.

G
#23 ·
.458 lott is essentially the special version of the .458 win mag. its an african big 5 hunting cartridge. not to be taken lightly. inside of 200 yds it is like a shoulder fired howitzer.. I say 200 because of the rainbow trajectory of the meteor like projectiles. They run out of velocity fast and gravity reminds them that they arent airplanes rather quickly. But boy do they hit. Dont hold me to it but I think the lott generates in the ballpark of 8500 ft lbs of energy on target at 100 yds. Thats 3 times the .30-06
Got a buddy that uses his 458 Lott for a ground hog gun. That thing sounds like a Howitzer recoils like a Howitzer and hits like a Howitzer inside 200 yards. He shot 1 the day we went out didn't even had to throw that one in a hole. After it blew his guts out (REALLY) it dug a crater that looked like a meteor the size of a smart car hit right there. All we did was push some of the dirt back in the hole with our feet.

Almost as cool was when he took his 270 weatherby out for ground hogs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.