1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Recomendations on bullets and powder

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by hero0526, Jun 2, 2009.

1. hero0526

hero0526 New Member

Hello all,

I am about to venture into reloading with the assistance of my Grandfatehr who has reloaded before, but has been a few years. I intend to reload .45 ACP for a glock g30sf and .38/.357 magnum for a Colt python. This ammo will primarily be for target practice and I am looking for recomendations on bullet and powder combinations that work well in these pistols. I would like to get a powder that will work for both is possible. Please let me know what you guys think. I already have dies and press (lee) if that is usefull as well.
  2. retired grunt

retired grunt New Member

I shoot titegroup myself here is the link to hodgdon powder reloading data, pick the bullet weight and type you will be shooting and choose a powder that is available. http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp
  3. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

HP 38 works fairly well in both..................it really depends on what grain/type of bullet you are going to use. Myself I load a bum full of 38's with trailboss, just about my favorite powder. Good luck and be safe......
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  4. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

Oh and be careful of your wallet, its addictive as all get out..........
  5. doug66

doug66 New Member

Welcome aboard,

158gr for 38/357
    200gr for 45ACP
    I use Unique for both, most importantly buy and read a modern reloading manual. I enjoy Lyman's.
  6. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I have burned up a lot of Blue Dot in both those calibers over the years. My advice is to buy a brand new reloading manual like a Speer Manual as that will contain instructions, safety considerations and equipment choices for you to make. There may be a lot of new stuff out there since your Grandfather loaded and you can both learn together. The main thing is to stay safe and then have fun. Good luck.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

unique and bluedot are excellent all arounds for both cartridges. I also like the hp-38. some real good suggestions here...
  8. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

I don't like Blue Dot for 45 ACP or 38 Special, it is too slow for these applications. Blue Dot needs a lot of pressure to burn cleanly, more pressure than you will develop in any 45 or 38 load and it takes more BD to do the job than most other powders. Yeah, I know they publish data for it..... Unique is the slowest powder I will use in these cartridges and it works good enough and you can use it to load near magnum in 357, 44, etc. it also works well in 9mm. For most 38 and 45 loads I prefer Titegroup but HP38 is good too.
  9. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

check out the thread "glock cast boollit help please" its a good one to keep in mind...... you may shoot lead cast bullets in your python but avoid shooting cast in your glock due to the rifling in these guns. Just a tip to consider. Have fun!
  10. hero0526

hero0526 New Member

Some great suggestions here, thanks guys. Sounds like I got some research to do. But sounds like HP38 might be a good starting place to see what bullets I wanna use.
  11. 38 special

38 special New Member

I dont load 45's but for 38's I like red dot, bullseye, and unique
  12. medalguy

medalguy Member

I load .45 with 230 gr FMJ, and I like Unique. Burns fast, good for short barrels, little flash & soot, meters very well. But you will find that most of these choices come down to simple personal choice. There's no one perfect powder or bullet.
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2009
  13. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I started about 4 months ago and have reloaded several thousand .45 acp's using HP-38 and 185 gr. LSW bullets. It has worked well for me.

Just for grins, I just loaded a couple hundred using 3.5 grains of Bullseye to see if I see a difference. So far, to my untrained palate, I can't. I still miss the "X". It must be time to buy a new fiddle as it sure can't be a problem with the fiddler.
  14. Bboomer

Bboomer New Member

I use Unique in all my pistols and revolvers along with a rifle or two. Bullseye also occupies my shelf space but use it seldom.