1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Recomendations on Cleaning Rods and Accessories

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Bioman, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Bioman

Bioman New Member

Any particular make that is decent but wont break the bank account?
    Also what accesories for usage with it, brushes, mops etc.:confused:
  2. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Pop into your local gunshop and take their advice. A good gunshop wont sell you more than you need.

To keep the cost down, and do a better job, I use a lot of other brushes, old tooth brushes are good, I use my 12g brush on rifle receivers and often a 1" paintbrush to dust out rifle mag wells etc.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2009
  3. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I quit using cleaning rods and have gone to bore snakes. I have one for each caliber I own. They are convenient and for several of my longguns that happen to have storage in the pistol grip they stay with each gun instead of my needing to lug a cleaning kit around. Rods can damage your bore and crown if not used carefully; bore snakes avoid that problem. I paid around $16.00-$17.00 a piece for mine.
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I've got rods and jags and brushes and all that happy horse kaka, but it pretty much sits in the corner, while I use Ballistol on a boresnake.

Toothbrushes used to be good, but the nylon they use now for both the brush and the bristles will melt when it is used with many gun cleaning liquids. I suggest a brush made especially for gun cleaning. The M16 brush is excellent.
  5. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

For rilfe and shotguns I like single piece stainless steel and for pistols the plastic ones like Glock puts in their cases.
  6. Bioman

Bioman New Member

I am told to be carefull of the barrel rim. Do you use a guide?