Recommendations Please

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by Psycho-82, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Psycho-82

Psycho-82 New Member

Hello, im looking at getting a rifle with the ability to accurately hit to 1000y or close to it. Im in the U.S. Army and have been for over 7 years but have only got to play with the M16 and other normal toys (M2, MK-19, etc), but nothing for precision long range. Im currently on my third tour to the sanbox and am looking at having everything ready for me when i get back from this 15mo tour in May 09. Im looking at mating this with a Leupold Mark 4 scope. I am aiming more for the 6.5-20X50mm ER/T M1 FFP with TMR reticle as that is what was recommended by the tech that ive been talking to regarding the type of shooting. Im looking for a full weapon system price of preferably no more then $5,000.00, with the scope going to take approx 12-1400.00. Im an expert shot (according to army standards) when it comes to iron sights but want to explore into long range precision shooting with optics. Ive been looking heavily into the Springfield M1A, but seeing as their site isnt the most descriptive as to what comes with each rifle its a bit hard to judge based on the prices ranging from about 1500.00 (standard) - 5300.00 (M25). I know they vary greatly on quality but that is a HUGE gap. Anyways The ammo i want to stick with is .308 Winchester (7.62x51mm NATO). The rounds i was planning on using for this is the Black Hills 168 grain Match Hallow Point and most likely the 175 grain version as well (yes i know the ballistics are slightly different). The idea is to be accurate at about 600y then go for the longer range shots with the rounds that are noticeably different for that range shooting. Okay now that ive laid everything out that i can think what are your suggestions to possibly different weapons with the same cartridge. Oh yeah the reason i was thinking of the M1A is because of the detachable magazine and the reliability and reputation of the weapon, but im open to any suggestions you guys may have! Thanks for reading and thanks in advance.
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Supporting Member

Welcome to TFF. There are several threads in this forum answering your questions.
  3. Psycho-82

Psycho-82 New Member

Yeah im sure there were, it was just getting rather late and wanted to leave a question up that could possibly be answered based on my specs versus someone elses while i was passed out.
  4. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

I'm a retired Army Shooter and I'd recommend that you contact the US Army Marksmanship Unit at: http://www.usaac.army.mil/amu/ They can answer all your questions.
  5. thakidc

thakidc New Member

At my local gun center they have a .50cal berrett single shot for 3 thousand and some change robably around four with tax, that can hit 1,000 yards.
  6. FJF0311

FJF0311 New Member

You might as well start reading the reloading forums, "cause your'e gonna be there soon!
  7. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    First and foremost: educate yourself. Find your nearest CMP affiliated rifle club and go watch some matches, maybe participate if they have loaner rifles. Talk to the shooters and find out how to become involved. You'll pick up a lot of knowledge in a hurry.
  8. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

I second the recommendation to contact the Army Marksmanship Unit, Ft. Benning, GA. Also, looking up CMP mayches like USMC is pretty easy...you might have to do a bit of driving to get to a match but it'll be worth it.

Also, if you haven't yet, log on your AKO, look up Army publications and get a copy of FM 23-10 to study.

And go to your S-1 and submit a DA 4187 to attend Sniper School and learn to shoot to 1,000 meters....Uncle Sam will be happy to pay the bill as long as your commander is game.
  9. tom vito

tom vito New Member

First let me start by saying Thank you for your service. You are a great Americian.

I may be a bit of base here. But I'm not convinced that a big money gun is what you need. And I say this with the upmost respect for you, and your abilitys. I also say this, because there is a range close by me, that holds 1000yrd shoots almost every weekend. And I have seen one gentleman shoot 2 out of three shoots into a gallon milk jug at 1000yrds with an off the self Savage 110. Not to take anything away from Savage, but I would have never thought this to be a 1000yrd gun. After talking with him, he tells me it comes down to three things, 1) understanding and respecting the ballistics of what your are shooting, 2) good glass a bad scope will make a good shot bad, just a great scopw will help make a bad shooter better, 3) your ability.
  10. Canadianhoss

Canadianhoss New Member

I also am looking to get into long range comp. shooting. and was looking for a recommendation for a good starting cal. I am in the Canadian forces but i am primarily a light machine gunner, so i dont get to play with long range weopons. any advice?