Reconditioning Wood Pistol Grips

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 24, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/3/02 1:43:41 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Reconditioning wood pistol grips
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have refinished a lot of rifle stocks with BLO, and been happy with the results. I now have a bunch of checkered wood pistol grips that look like they have been bleached and dried. Will the BLO work well on the close checkered type grips, or is there another type treatment that finishes out better? You really can't rub or steel wool them due to the checkering.

Inquiring mindless wants to know.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/3/02 4:55:27 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Reconditioning wood pistol grips
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Boiled linseed oil will work. I would smooth the areas that are not checkered, stain, apply the BLO to whatever luster is desired, then recut the checkering. The oil will have soaked into the wood so the checkering pattern will not look 'raw.'

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Master Dealer for Kimber, Wilson Combat and Dan Wesson

bullelk
    (7/21/02 7:21:37 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Reconditioning wood pistol grips
    Bob,
    I have used a good med brass bristle brush and some paint remover to remove and clean the checkering with good results. You just have to use a little extra care doing it.

"If All Else Fails, Read The Directions"

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/21/02 6:27:04 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Reconditioning wood pistol grips
    A toothbrush dipped into thinned BLO will work fine, Bob. Just scrub the brush into the checkering like the dickens!
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"