Recovered P38

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by trw2058, Jun 1, 2009.

1. trw2058

trw2058 New Member

I have a Walther P-38 ac44, serial #4269 b ac44 with deep brown grips in really good condition (No rust on the exterior and the interior of the barrel is clear – no pitting). The weapon has its serial number on every removable portion (Barrel, frame, firing pin housing & slide). The numbers 359 appears under numerous eagles. The frame has definite milling marks on it on the frame around the trigger guard. What is unique are initials engraved on the left side of the grip and the date on the right side of the grip. The initials are of the previous owner (German soldier) and the date is when it was recovered from his body or so the story goes.

Was the weapon manufactured in 44?
    What would the possible resale of it?

T. Williams
    Trw2058@yahoo.com
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

I'm not up to date on the values so I will let someone else address that. However, German soldiers did not carve their initials on their firearms. No Western military does. So that's just a story and will distract from the value.
  3. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Too bad somebody ruined the grips. A common date P38 like yours ordinarily brings about $650 in decent condition. The condition of your grips knocks about $100 off the value. If there are any importer markings on the gun the value is reduced another $100.