recovering a serial number

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Helix_FR, May 26, 2010.

1. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Imperial, MO
    Need a little advise. I got a guy that want me to restamp his serial number on his handgun. It was stolen from him but recovered but 2 of the numbers on the serial number were defaced. He has a police report with the actual serial number on the report and the original box with numbers and the bill of sale with numbers. Does this still require a call to my ATF agent to square away or does anyone know what the answer is.

2. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

Yes, but don't let the morons try to re-stamp it.

3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Dec 6, 2009
    It is a CYA exercise, but I would get BATFE's advice.

Jim

4. i would suggest not restamping,no matter what anyone says.keep paper work and multiple copies and shoot away.i had a harley stolen once and the numbers were removed.i still had to reapply for a new title and numbers.it was not worth it old semperfi