Recs for a good knife

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by Rommelvon, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Rommelvon

Rommelvon New Member

I currently carry a gerber, I also have a bayonet, a kbar and a bootknife made by colt, but I want a good all around knife, one that will have use in a SHTF situation...any recs for a nice blade to attach to my LBE's
  2. pickenup

pickenup New Member

Do you want a straight blade, curved blade, a serrated blade, or a half and half, or?
    Folder, non folder?
  3. Rommelvon

Rommelvon New Member

A good fixed blade, wouldnt mind a partial serrated edge, something that will stand the test of time and be useful if I had to become a Grizzly adams type
  4. patrol

patrol New Member

Im a Police Officer and I always have a knife on me usually one that I can open quickly with my non gun retention hand and I have several I carry with a pocket clip and a neck knife fixed blade Cold steel. I like my Emerson's and My Benchmades and Spyderco's but for the money Cold Steel has excellent quality blades both folding and fixed blades. My two I carry a great deal are the Tanto edged combo serrated and half straight blade Large Voyger but for a better quality with the G10 handle pay the twenty extra and get you one of those Cold Steel Recon folders. My favorite knife though is my Emerson CQC 8 with the bannana blade and my Benchmade Ruckus 610. Both those folding knives will take off limbs with ease.:cool:
  5. Lead Lobber

Lead Lobber Former Guest

SHTF? I have always carried multiple blades since childhood, and have the scars to remember them. I don't think one can depend on any one knive, and why do so when several types can be carried easily all the time? Have a sturdy Bowie type fighter at hand, one or two high tech folders, and on and on. Guns are another matter - the ammo weighs a lot, but does canned food. But, I wander from the original question. A good dog would be good in a SHTF situation, as would a tough woman. You could eat either if things really got tough .... kidding!

Bow and arrow making skills, atackexj (sp) that lever thingy that advanced spears, and plain rock throwing is really scarey. I almost killed a bicyclist by accident on Highway 1 in California while throwing at a road sign. You can't hear those suckers coming!

I think we are all too comfortable in hour homes with all our guns. If the SHTF, I mean really, don't count on vehicles to carry all your gear. Plan on your legs, which means at the most a long gun, and maybe a short gun, along with the other stuff you can CARRY. And ammo weighs a lot, like water and canned food.

Just my worst nightmares that I share with you ....

LL
  6. bunnyhunter12

bunnyhunter12 New Member

I love knives. Let me get that out of the way. Now for the money that you will spend on a beauty of a knife like a Ka-Bar (I have 1 too, USMC Globe, Eagle, Anchor sheath, love it) you can get five or six of my favorites. My favorite knife for eveything from skinning and field dressing to my "tag along" at family barbeques is a Frosts Mora. Cheap as all get out, I pay $15 Canadian for them, and as far as the steel goes, I find they hold an edge longer than a Buck or Schrade and are just as easy to sharpen to a razor edge. Good non-slip plasic handles and plasic sheaths that are easy to strap/bolt to anything make these knives practical in any situation (unless you need a heavy weight = Ka-Bar).
  7. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

I'll second the Mora recomendation Smitty!

I saw a post about 'em here & I bought 6 of them from Sportsman's guide. From what I understand they're issued to the swiss military? When I bought mine they stated the Frost Mora's have carbon steel blades & I think tha'ts right, but I saw another add for the that says Frosta uses stainless on them. Mine sharpen like they're carbon. I like how they work so well i Bought 8 more & gave them out to friends & family & they love them too.

Also, if you're interested in survival knives, I've gotten a few lately from Big-5 sports. I've gotten a half dozen different types from $9.99ea to $39.99ea that were marked down from three times those prices. The knives seem to be decent & I've stashed some in my cars & trucks.
  8. bunnyhunter12

bunnyhunter12 New Member

Pop, my blades say "Frosts Mora, made in Sweden, Stainless Steel," but they do sharpen like a carbon blade. Would I be wrong saying Ka-Bar USMC fighting knives use a 1095 carbon steel?
  9. Don Buckbee

Don Buckbee New Member

I'd look for a knife made from S30V or S60V steel, with a blade around 4" long. Get one with a guard, or one that has a dropped blade to protect you fingers from slipping out over the blade in hard use.
    The steels mentioned above are excellent for edge holding and are tough. The Vanadium in the steel provides for the good edge holding properties in the steel.
    I've used a lot of these steels in making knives, and know that it is about the best available today.
    I don't know how much money you want to spend on a knife, but good knives cost some money.
    Get a copy of AG Russel's catalog on knives he sells and see if he has something for you. There are many custom knife makers who will make a knife special for you when you come up with a design.
    Other good steels are D-2 and ATS-34. David Boye's Dendritc steel is also excellent, and I have a couple of his knives, as well as making some knives using his steel. His blade's steel will hold and edge equal to the ones with Vanadium in it.

Don
  10. martbo

martbo New Member

I like the SOG fixed blades. Especially the Seal Pup Elite.

Attached Files:

11. stash247

stash247 New Member

Depends on purpose; I have a Gerber Mk I that saw a lot ot use, forty years ago, seven inches of double edged satisfaction, now, some etched, as to the finish, by blood, over the years, but as sound today as the day it was built, if an open carry, fighting knife, is your desire; mine has no 'Hallmark', never did, only the serial number under which it was issued. It's in my 'bug out bag', and has been a long time friend.
    On the 'flipside', a tiny, 1 1/2" 'assisted opener' a Ken Onion dedign, by Kershaw, is forever in my watch pocket, on it's clip, and sees use every day, though way too small for a 'defensive' knife, unless one was attacked by squirrels!
    In the big middle are the 3 1/2-4" folders, slim in profile, but long on edge, that can almost 'do it all'!
  12. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

I agree with Don, S30V is a great steel, and so is 154CM. I'm a big fan of D2 also. It's not classified as a stainless, but it's so close I wouldn't want to call it either way.
  13. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    My hand tool inventory in the field was much the same as Stash. I carried a Gerber Mk II, double edged subdued blade, within east reach on my H-harness.

Also, a small Gerber folder for utility use, but these days I'm using a Smith and Wesson HRT folder with a partial serrated blade. I like the one hand opening and size of the grip better than my old Gerber.

I also carried an early Leatherman on my trousers belt so it was always with me even if my gear wasn't.

When the officers present didn't complain about a lack of uniformity, I liked to have a tomahawk handy on the outside of my pack. I always preferred them to a bayonet, much more of a multi-tasker. Still carry it when I'm out in the wild, such as the wild is these days.

As far as one single all around, general purpose, SHTF knife, the K-bar is hard to beat.
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2007
  14. You have that right, USMC. See, even Marines get it right sometimes! :D;):p

::::::ducking::::::: ;)
  15. travihanson

travihanson New Member

My Ka-bar is in the mail, just bought it from Wholesale Hunter. It is a short one, i think 9.5 overall, I should have it tomorrow, can't wait to get it.
  16. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    Yes, Pistol, even a stopped clock tells the correct time twice a day...
  17. ROFLMAO! Sorry, USMC, I just couldn't resist. :p It must be all those old dormant Army genes acting up again. :D;):p

All kidding aside, the Marine K-bar is definitely one of the finest general purpose knives ever built. I carried one myself for a year in Vietnam, though it wasn't regulation for us Army grunts. In fact, I own one now and often carry it if I'm hiking. They built that knife of 1095 high-carbon steel and it will take an edge sharp enough to shave with. It's heavy enough to perform just about any chore necessary. As I recall, I probably used it most often for opening C-rat cans. :D
  18. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Yeah, I would leave ALL my knives home if the alternative was leaving my 'hawk home...

The best knife in the world still can't hack enough boughs fast enough to make a quick shelter, or travois, or splint, BUT my 'hawk could STILL gut and skin a buck if it had to...
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  19. stash247

stash247 New Member

Bought a 'Ghurkha Kukri', of 'Cold Steel' manufacture, a couple of years ago, and, while it might 'stir some shi*, for serving military, out of size alone, it is a fine and well balanced tool of war.
    My misgiving about this thread is that, unless things have changed a lot, nobody in the 'conventional' Military at any significant level of authority, has made any effort to teach the troops the skills and mindset necessary to make a knife a 'combat tool'
    Much like Bayonet Training; We had a 'smartass' NCO, teaching that, in basic, with the comment that, If you messed up, and got the bayonet stuck in bone, "Crank off a couple rounds; It'll 'loosen up'!"
    Hell, if I had ammo, in a functional rifle, why would I be using a bayonet?
    I did not think then, nor do I now, that this was a well thought out program of instruction.
    In the civilian world, a cop must 'qualify', ie, demonstrate proficiency with, every weapon he carries, on or off duty: this is to protect his enployer from lawsuits, but a good idea, anyway.
    A Boy Scout must demonstrate knowledge of, and proficiency with, an axe or a knife, before he can carry either; difference here, is only 'Adult Leadership".
    35+ years ago, the Gym at Ft Bragg (The one on the Hill, at least) was open 24/7, and we could always find a competent instructor, within our Group, or another, to teach and critique, regardless of the subject.
    Where 'edged weapons' are concerned, however, the 'rules of engagement, and decorum', are as diverse as the choices, in weapons; a Gerber Mk I or II is basically a 'sticking' blade, and so designed; the KaBar, an 'utility' design, better suited to 'slashing', than 'stabbing'; the Kukri, or it's cousin, the Barong, I suppose could be used to stab, or slash, but are basically 'chopping' weapons. And all have different 'rules'.
    It is not unreasonable to ask a 'top heavy', Military, IMHO, to teach our kids how to stay alive, with every tool they may encounter, whether ours, or those of the enemy!
    Years ago, I 'defaulted' on the then 'Reliable as a Lady Democratic Legislator' M-16, in favor of the AKM; It drove my counterparts in the field, absolutely nuts, because I did not 'sound' like a 'round eye', when shooting at them!
    But, I was in an 'uconventional warfare' unit, one with a trove of such wepons, here, in the states, and taught them as conventional units teach their troops about 'our' arms.
    I fel the same about edged weapons; a young man, carrying a fine knife, with no training in it's purpose, or use, is less than a zero; it will take two or three of his comrades, to carry him out: Given the trainung he needs, he can acomplish miracles, in total silence!
    Just my .02
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2007
  20. A-Zo

A-Zo New Member

Ever look into SOG, they make some good blades. They have a bunch of different models. How much you lookin to spend?