Recs for a good knife

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by Rommelvon, Mar 27, 2007.

1. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    Yes, Pistol, even a stopped clock tells the correct time twice a day...
  2. ROFLMAO! Sorry, USMC, I just couldn't resist. :p It must be all those old dormant Army genes acting up again. :D;):p

All kidding aside, the Marine K-bar is definitely one of the finest general purpose knives ever built. I carried one myself for a year in Vietnam, though it wasn't regulation for us Army grunts. In fact, I own one now and often carry it if I'm hiking. They built that knife of 1095 high-carbon steel and it will take an edge sharp enough to shave with. It's heavy enough to perform just about any chore necessary. As I recall, I probably used it most often for opening C-rat cans. :D
  3. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Yeah, I would leave ALL my knives home if the alternative was leaving my 'hawk home...

The best knife in the world still can't hack enough boughs fast enough to make a quick shelter, or travois, or splint, BUT my 'hawk could STILL gut and skin a buck if it had to...
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  4. stash247

stash247 New Member

Bought a 'Ghurkha Kukri', of 'Cold Steel' manufacture, a couple of years ago, and, while it might 'stir some shi*, for serving military, out of size alone, it is a fine and well balanced tool of war.
    My misgiving about this thread is that, unless things have changed a lot, nobody in the 'conventional' Military at any significant level of authority, has made any effort to teach the troops the skills and mindset necessary to make a knife a 'combat tool'
    Much like Bayonet Training; We had a 'smartass' NCO, teaching that, in basic, with the comment that, If you messed up, and got the bayonet stuck in bone, "Crank off a couple rounds; It'll 'loosen up'!"
    Hell, if I had ammo, in a functional rifle, why would I be using a bayonet?
    I did not think then, nor do I now, that this was a well thought out program of instruction.
    In the civilian world, a cop must 'qualify', ie, demonstrate proficiency with, every weapon he carries, on or off duty: this is to protect his enployer from lawsuits, but a good idea, anyway.
    A Boy Scout must demonstrate knowledge of, and proficiency with, an axe or a knife, before he can carry either; difference here, is only 'Adult Leadership".
    35+ years ago, the Gym at Ft Bragg (The one on the Hill, at least) was open 24/7, and we could always find a competent instructor, within our Group, or another, to teach and critique, regardless of the subject.
    Where 'edged weapons' are concerned, however, the 'rules of engagement, and decorum', are as diverse as the choices, in weapons; a Gerber Mk I or II is basically a 'sticking' blade, and so designed; the KaBar, an 'utility' design, better suited to 'slashing', than 'stabbing'; the Kukri, or it's cousin, the Barong, I suppose could be used to stab, or slash, but are basically 'chopping' weapons. And all have different 'rules'.
    It is not unreasonable to ask a 'top heavy', Military, IMHO, to teach our kids how to stay alive, with every tool they may encounter, whether ours, or those of the enemy!
    Years ago, I 'defaulted' on the then 'Reliable as a Lady Democratic Legislator' M-16, in favor of the AKM; It drove my counterparts in the field, absolutely nuts, because I did not 'sound' like a 'round eye', when shooting at them!
    But, I was in an 'uconventional warfare' unit, one with a trove of such wepons, here, in the states, and taught them as conventional units teach their troops about 'our' arms.
    I fel the same about edged weapons; a young man, carrying a fine knife, with no training in it's purpose, or use, is less than a zero; it will take two or three of his comrades, to carry him out: Given the trainung he needs, he can acomplish miracles, in total silence!
    Just my .02
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2007
  5. A-Zo

A-Zo New Member

Ever look into SOG, they make some good blades. They have a bunch of different models. How much you lookin to spend?
  6. stash247

stash247 New Member

A-Zo, read my most recent post, again; "First, learn the rules, Then, choose the tools" summarizes it succinctly.
    My second, and third tours, in RVN, I 'took more ears' with edged weapons, than with firearms; I was in a wierd, quiet business, in the 'Triborder', and had no need of noise, if it could be avoided; the Barong was good, but the forward weighted Kukri, even better, to 'delete' a 'forward observer', 'outpost sentry', or any other item that needed quiet 'cancelling'; yet, all this time, my tired old 'Plain belly' Gerber Mk I was always close, high and left, butt down, for 'close work', and then, perhaps now still, the finest tool in inventory, for a skilled worker.
    Yet, lead lobber made a good point in his post, six months ago; consider a dog, if the SHTF.
    Years ago, my 'pet poison' was Dobies, good dogs, if managed, but requiring entirely too much 'hands on' time, compared to my now pick, the 'Australian Cattle Dog', often called here, 'Red', or 'Blue', Heelers. Half the weight, and twice the dog!
    'Brandy', a four to five year old Bitch, over bred, taken too soon from the litter, a 'rescue dog', sits at my heel, as I type; she will give me a 15 second 'heads up' before anybody is at the door, and is perfectly willing, released, to 'punch their ticket' then and there; this is an animal still in 'recovery'; she just gets better and better!
    She will load a full ton of mean bull, 90 seconds, or less, onto your trailer, and ask for nothing but having her belly rubbed; this is a 50 pound dog,with a full hundred pounds of heart!
    SHTF, the dog loads first, all the rest is optional; she will cover my 'six', 24 /7, with no reguard to anything but my 'six' until told different!
    Imagine a 'road trip' without a leash, with three dogs, and 'no issues', for it's total duration, of over three thousand miles, and you are starting to 'get the picture'; we travel a lot, but have no issues, because these are of the finest works of God, albeit on four feet!
    They 'load up', or unload, on a word, and are more reliable, than most men;
    they will 'fetch' me anything they are asked to, and bring it to my feet, and hold it, right there!
    As much as I like knives, a good dog is a better tool,for survival.
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2007