rec's for a truck gun w/ hog in mind

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by soundguy, Dec 6, 2012.

1. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

gonna be doing some (road)work for a few months on private property. plenty of hogs inthe woods according to the owner.. have been given permission to remove any / many as possible as they are destructive here in florida..

what's a good rec for a truck gun? shotgun? ( i deffinately have a beater 12g that would qualify.. was someone else's truck gun.. etc. ugly, but in top mechanical shape.. :)

other options would be a boltgun or semi auto.. and as a last option.. a lever gun.. ( bolts my fav )

opinion?
  2. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

AK I would say....
  3. soundguy

i'd have to iron site it.. i got no optics on my ak.. but that's fine. 762 is quite capable IMHO.. i think I even have a 5rnd clip for it...
  4. GunnyGene

GunnyGene New Member

Are you asking for protection while working, or sport? Wild pigs are dangerous, fast, smart, hard to put down, and can get to 400-500 lbs easily and they may charge you, especially if you stumble across a sow with piglets. If the former I'd recommend at least a .41 mag revolver with BuffaloBore 265 gr. LWN or 230gr Keith bullets on your hip, or similar caliber semi-auto with one in the chamber ready to go. You may not have time to pick up a long gun.

If you plan on hunting them don't go alone. Find someone with experience, and use trained pig dogs.

Good luck and keep your head on a swivel. :)

PS: Here's some good advise from Chuck Hawks: http://www.chuckhawks.com/feral_hog_cartridges.htm
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  5. soundguy

oh, hunting for sure.. but I hear ya on protection.

I love hog hunting. do it as often as possible... when I plan on going out.. I take a nice bolt gun and a large revolver. this will be unplanned and I do't want my nice expensive boltgun living in my truck for that long.. or.. at all really.. :)
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Why would that matter?

I just checked the current regs. Wanted to make sure they had not changed on me since the last time I hunted.

http://myfwc.com/hunting/regulations/taking-game/

>Prohibited methods and equipment for taking game

Centerfire semi-automatic rifles having magazine capacities of more than five rounds when hunting deer

Nonexpanding full metal case (military ball) ammunition for taking deer<

So a 30-rounder is fine for pig.

I also found
    http://myfwc.com/hunting/regulations/general-information/

>Wild hogs

On private property with landowner permission, wild hogs may be hunted year round with no bag limits, size limits or license required.<
  7. GunnyGene

GunnyGene New Member

Ok. You've got experience so you know what you're doing. A few bubba's around here hunt with just a revolver and dogs up by the Tombigbee. About 4 miles from my house. Haven't seen any sign on my property or the neighbors, yet, but we're expecting them any time. Most of us have taken to carrying whenever we go outside just in case. I carry the Blackhawk I mentioned above if I'm out in my woods/field for any reason. Wife thinks I'm nuts, but I'm 68 and don't run fast anymore. :eek: ;)
  8. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

Basic 30-30? How about a Mosin Nagant, bolt action, cheap to buy , accurate and powerful.
  9. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

AK is pretty cheap still (about the same as a handgun) and they work forever and reliable. The round is plenty to take down hog (not the perfect round but certainly adequate) and the gun is compact, especially if you put a folder stock on it!

No fancy schmancy optics or gadgets needed, just point and blast away, and you have 30 rounds to try and connect! I would say whatever you choose, pick a rifle; a shotgun is just too limited in range if you get a longer shot chance.
  10. soundguy

i'm real picky about taking 5 or less capacity guns when i hunt. game officials in my area are too darn picky.

if there has ever been a deer within a mile of where they find you, then you are deer hunting.. :) and at least around here nyway.. stat officers will come onto private property.

I know i would probably bo ok sfter court was done.. but my gun , time and hassle might be up for grabs. I hear that impounded guns are almost never returned, even if you get out of the charge...
  11. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

I don't care for any of the black rifles, but me thinks the AK would be just about right for what you want to do. I doubt you'd ever get more than five rounds off anyway; hogs can be in fourth gear in, like a second! You would probably be able to connect quite a bit farther out than you would with a shotgun too.
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Cant believe it took 8 posts for someone to mention the only real choice. You cant beat a 100 dollar bolt action for exactly that purpose. They are mind numbingly simple, accurate and reliable and the ammo is cheap and easy to find. and on par with a .30-06 in power
  13. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I was gonna flame the Mosin for it's length but a carbine would certainly fit the bill. Or chop down a 91/30....

the M44 I've got with bayonet and all would be pretty decent. and certainly cheaper than an AK. I just love firepower and gas guns!
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Id go with an M44, M38 or a chinese type 53 carbine. all of which are dirt ass cheap.
  15. savage170

savage170 Member

If you can find one the Ruger 44 mag Carbine makes a good hog buster. ruger also just came out with a 44 mag bolt action carbine
  16. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I agree it would as far as the round goes but Id be a little aprehensive to toss a fine ruger carbine, that cost me 500 bucks or more, into the bed of my pick up truck next to the tow chains.. A cheap mosin rifle though.. Meh, the scratches and dings make it look normal..
  17. Country101

Country101 Active Member

An old marlin or even winchester 30-30. Small, compact, good for short range. Cant beat it for a truck gun in my opinion, unless your of the opinion that a .22 mag would fit the bill better. :D
  18. bamajoey

bamajoey Well-Known Member

As recently as two years ago landowners were getting permits to shoot hogs and deer at night in this area because of the overpopulation. We have seen as many as thirty deer in the field at one time.
    When I was growing up in this same ares we never even knew there were deer around.
  19. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

I like the mosin idea but I use an old remmy 7400 chambered in 270. I don't mind if gets dinged up cuz it's an abused pawn shop special. The guy that owned it before took good care of the bore but didn't know about oiling the outside, gun had more rust than bluing on it.
  20. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Thats a good one anyway Howln. The 7400s are the worst autoloader designs ever made IMO. I wouldn't be saddened to let it bang around the bed of the truck.