rec's for a truck gun w/ hog in mind

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by soundguy, Dec 6, 2012.

1. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I agree it would as far as the round goes but Id be a little aprehensive to toss a fine ruger carbine, that cost me 500 bucks or more, into the bed of my pick up truck next to the tow chains.. A cheap mosin rifle though.. Meh, the scratches and dings make it look normal..
  2. Country101

Country101 Active Member

An old marlin or even winchester 30-30. Small, compact, good for short range. Cant beat it for a truck gun in my opinion, unless your of the opinion that a .22 mag would fit the bill better. :D
  3. bamajoey

bamajoey Well-Known Member

As recently as two years ago landowners were getting permits to shoot hogs and deer at night in this area because of the overpopulation. We have seen as many as thirty deer in the field at one time.
    When I was growing up in this same ares we never even knew there were deer around.
  4. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

I like the mosin idea but I use an old remmy 7400 chambered in 270. I don't mind if gets dinged up cuz it's an abused pawn shop special. The guy that owned it before took good care of the bore but didn't know about oiling the outside, gun had more rust than bluing on it.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Thats a good one anyway Howln. The 7400s are the worst autoloader designs ever made IMO. I wouldn't be saddened to let it bang around the bed of the truck.
  6. savage170

savage170 Member

I guess my truck guns lead a sheltered life they get to ride behind the seat
  7. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

if I could find another cheap type 53 that would be great.
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Whats cheap to you soundguy.. I got a periodical from one of my suppliers and I wanna say they had Type 53s, Ill have to find the periodical. but They were pretty dang cheap.
  9. soundguy

at gun shows MN's are still hitting around 200$

I can't see paying that. really would like to find one half that.

I have a c&r so if I found J&G or SOG or someone like that.. AIM.. etc.. that had one.. I could be good to go.
  10. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

mine are extremely sheltered also! my rifle gets it's own seat and airbag...:D
  11. soundguy

mine would have to be out of site.. I like my windshield too much.. :)
  12. cranky1

cranky1 New Member

i'd get a bubba 303 lee enfield. 10 shot mag. lots of power. ugly to begin with so no issue about beating a nice gun up. but hey, i'm canadian "eh".
  13. bamajvc

bamajvc New Member

savage hog hunter series rifle(111) in 338 will knock them down
  14. Twicepop

Twicepop Well-Known Member

For a rifle my pick would be a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington. It holds about 5 rounds in the tube plus another up the spout. It packs more energy than a .44mag. revolver and makes a better club than any pistol. They are faster to keep the magazine charged than a hand gun. There're are a lot of these for sale most of the time in pawn shops and the back racks in gun shops. If a handgun is the desired choice , how about a 1911 in .460 Rowland, 7 or 8 rounds in the mag, plus another in the spout. You can carry it cocked and locked with 8 or 9 rounds of .44 mag. power at your disposal, plus the ability of quick magazine changes.

those who beat their guns into plowshares, will plow for those who didn't