recurve bow hunting??

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by remington1990, May 18, 2011.

1. remington1990

remington1990 New Member

Anybody uses a recurve bow to hunt anymore I don't heard anybody around here talk about hunting with them and what pound recurve bow would I have to use to hunt whitetail. Thanks
  2. J.D. Bass

J.D. Bass New Member

I've used long bow and re-curve. Every shooter is different so it depends on your capabilities. If you have the strength, I recommend no less than 45# but no more than 60#. I know that there are a few different schools of thought but, in my opinion 60#s should be pretty much the max because there is no let off. No let off is fine for shooting at a target but game animals move, so you will not be able to hold full draw for long without shaking. I limit myself to 15-20 yard shots so I don't have to rely on arrow speed as much. Also, if the animal is closer then the target is easier to hit. I shoot about 50#s and have been successful.
  3. J.D. Bass

J.D. Bass New Member

4. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Got my 35# Bear recurve when I was 12 years old and it was the minimum. but 45 is better. My Uncle was a state champion in the field archery class and took all his trophies and a deer every year with a 50# bow. Hard to believe almost 60 years has gone by since then and I have been reduced to using the crossbow.

My cousins went to compound bows but some of us old dinosaurs like the no complication, light weight simple easy maintenance stuff. Could be why my favorite deer rifle is a single shot, handgun is a revolver and shotgun is a single shot. The less that can break in the woods makes it an advantage over all the whistles and bells.
  5. tim peterson

tim peterson Member

On christmas in 1975 I got a bear recurve 50# draw.The black bear model I made my first-second archery kills with this bow two muledeer. Still have it and its in perfect condition. I could hunt with it tomorow what a great bow and what great memories.
  6. CallMaker

CallMaker New Member

I have hunted for quite a number of years with a recurve bow. Deer, bear and turkey mostly.

50 pounds will kill anything in the lower 48 presuming proper arrow placement. Of course shooting distances must be kept as close as possible. I prefer 20 yards or under. Most of my hunting was done with bows in the 48-50# range, however of late that has decreased to the lower 40's.

Be aware of course that hunting with traditional archery gear is a challenge and that it is also highly addictive:)