Recurve bows

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by alex.cirabisi, Oct 1, 2012.

1. alex.cirabisi

alex.cirabisi Member

So I have been eye ballin a recurve bow. I wanna go no sights with a decent 50-60lb pull. Any of you have suggestions on brands? I am coming from a compound bow background, never shot a recurve, i just want it for recreational, not gonna hunt deer, i wanna try rabbits, squirrels etc. So when I say I'm coming from compound bows, it worries me with the prices... a decent compound runs $400-$700 and looking on recurves they are running from $109-$400... Am I gonna regret getting a $200 bow?

PSE MUSTANG BOW CABELA'S
  2. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

Be careful, those things are addictive. Soon you will need a leather quiver, wooden arrows, broadheads etc. A good place to shop is 3 rivers archery. I'm determined to take a deer with my bow. My middle son and I made it from parts bought at this store. (My son made a "form" and "oven" and we worked on it for a month - lots of sanding and sanding again). They take more practice than a compound, but it's most satisfying when the arrow hits the target.
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I perfer the one piece bows myself, but can't shoot much of anything except a cross bow now days. There is a learning curve, but lots of "good" practice will cure that. Take a quick trip to a bow range and get some advice from those that shoot recurves. I don't know anything about the Mustang, but the 8 reviews were all very good.
  4. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

I prefer a Bear Kodiak or Grizzly
    The one piece just feels better on release.
  5. Telcotech

Telcotech Member

Alex-

PM sent.....

TT
  6. oldfartrr

oldfartrr Member

that is one beautifulllll bow,, how does it shoot ?
    almost tooo prettyyy to take out
  7. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

Thank you...It's the second one we made for me. Ther first was a lighter color, but two years ago, I became ill and left it in the car for a couple hours under the sun. The limbs seperated. (kicked myself good for that one). Then we made this one and I am determined to harvest a deer. It shoots great. It measures out at 42# @ 28". (one of the reasons I went to stick and string is a bad shoulder). I'm comfortable at 20 yards, tickled pink at 15 yards. My game camera caught me with it the other day. Actually, might take her out tomorrow.
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  8. tim peterson

tim peterson Member

I would look at Bear one peice 50lbs. I got mine for christmas in 1975 and still shooting it. Hard to beat, thats my 2cents worth good luck and have fun.
  9. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Have you ever pulled a 50 or 60 pound recurve? Unlike a compound, there is no drop-off. And the further you pull it, the harder it gets.

I just shoot mine in the back yard. It's a 45#. Bear Grizzly. 60 pounds seems awful overkill for rabbits.
  10. mcgreen85

mcgreen85 New Member

Hey guys, not to change the subject but I thought this was a great opportunity to ask a question about recurves. I just purchased a recurve #45 samick sage takedown, I was told that there are things you can do to help quiet it such as putting mole skin under the limbs & string leaches. Is this correct ? If so how exactly do I put the mole skin under the limbs & are there any other things I can do to it to help ?
  11. Rockyja

Rockyja Former Guest

Living in Burnsville, MN, a Transplant from Los An
  12. Rockyja

Rockyja Former Guest

The history of horseback archery stretches back to the very beginnings of civilization, and was employed as formidable and devastatingly effective method of warfare by many early nations, particularly in Asia and the Mid East. The Scythians are thought to be the first to develop an equestrian martial art, but they were followed by the Koreans, the Mongols, the Huns, the Turks and the Magyars. And the horse bow has been identified as one of the most important of all the historical weapons that have had a profound effect on the political and social makeup of the world we live in today. One interesting bit of archery folklore has the ancient Greeks inventing the mythical half-man, half-horse centaurs after their first exposure to horse archers.

Today there is a tremendous resurgence of interest in all forms of historical archery; Medieval Archery as practiced by the Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA) Japanese Kyudo and, of course, horseback archery. But you don't have to ride a horse to enjoy shooting a horse bow. They are great fun all by themselves, and with a little practice and the right arrows, they are capable of great accuracy.

NZAP carry a few of the more popular horse bows in stock, and we have formed an alliance with Horseback Archery NZ, the local agents for Lajos Kassai of Hungary. Kassai is a world class archer is his own right and is the world's leading proponent of Horseback Archery. The bloke on the horse in the photo at right is Robert Schreiner of Horseback Archery NZ.
  13. Rockyja

Rockyja Former Guest

14. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

15. BigBandy417

BigBandy417 New Member

Man is right no let off. Drawin a 50-60lb recurve is NOT the most enjoyable thing
    on earth. I got a PSE Kingfisher bowfishing kit to stick carp and gar back in March
    Only cost $130 w/ shipping. The bow itself is a takedown model with a smooth 40lb
    draw, its a tad big for my intended purpose but will serve well as a target/fun shooter
    and for those pesky, but tasty rabbits