Red dot, Green dot

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by flintlock, Oct 28, 2012.

1. flintlock

flintlock Active Member

I am thinking of putting a dot/reflex sight on my Ruger MkII, and was wondering what has worked well for you folks. Any preference as to dot color, or MOA size? I'll mostly be using it for target shooting, and maybe some squirrel hunting. Thanks.
  2. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

As far as a Reflex sight, cannot add any input but on my Ruger MRIII Hunter, I had a Red Dot scope on it for a time and loved it....spot on and has the red/green dots on 5 different settings.
    Some you will find, only come with the 5 moa (dots) and they will basically cover a pop can out at "about" 30-40yds.
    My preference on a (dot), would be something (smaller) than a 5 moa dot.
    As far as color, I use both the red and green when I had it on the MKIII as per background color and or, target color/background and time of day shooting. (cloud cover/sunny, etc.,)
  3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I put an inexpensive Simmons red-dot on my Mark III 22/45. It isn't pretty but it is accurate. It has a 5 moa dot and it works just fine out to about 25 yards, after that it is like zane says, it covers up your target!

My 12 YO granddauaghter likes shooting it but gets kind of bored with all the bullets going into the bullseye. I got to where I am setting up shotgun hulls and old rifle brass as targets for her.
  4. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Several of the Old Guys have various low cost reflex red dots on their pistols. Three of them have failed and been sent back for warantee repair. My suggestion is save a little more and buy a quality sight first time. For target work you are going to want as small a dot size as possible. As Zane says the 5 moa dot is just too large for target work. Get a sight that has adjustment for intensity (brightness) of the dot. The Ultra Dot/Match Dot seems to have a big following and a lot going for it. It will be my next purchase of a red dot when that happens. The red dots are great for those of us with old eyes and really enhance the shooting experience for us Old Guys.

http://www.ultradotusa.com/
  5. flintlock

flintlock Active Member

Thanks for the ideas guys, I start by looking for sights with a 2 MOA dot. The Aimpoint TR1 looked great but wow, nearly $600! The Ultra dot might be the ticket. Christmas is just around the corner after all!
  6. ozo

ozo Active Member

7. Zane71464

I do know what you mean!
    And also as far as my experiance, I like the larger "tubes" on them for the fact of my "old-age" eye sight. ;) I have the Tasco Pro Point 40mm and it is much easier for be to get the sight picture quicker then the smaller dia. tubes.
  8. A square 10

A square 10 New Member

i also like the smallest dot available , but i prefer the smaller sight , i put the doctor sight on my browning

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  9. Zane71464

Nice looking setup and like the holster as well!!!