Red Dot Pistol Sight

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Tony Mig, Sep 21, 2003.

1. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

While at the range today shooting my Beretta .40S&W and Colt .22LR, one of the range instructors let me shoot his Glock...(also chambered in .40S&W)...and he has this really cool red dot sight that's afixed to the rear of the slide...(where the rear sight would normally be).....it's not a scope, but just a glass eye piece that displays a red dot, line the dot up on your target, and it was a guarenteed hit. I nailed 10 steel plates in 10 shots....and I've yet to do that with my Beretta using iron sights.

This guy told me that these sights he has are no longer made, but he thinks there might be other companies producing similar devices.

Any clues to who, what, when or where.......?
  2. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

These are not at the rear, but are they similar?

ATN

There are a few companies that make sights like these. Some IPSC shooters use them alot.
  3. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

Just checked them out. Looks similar to what this guy had, but mounts differently. The ATN website shows the sites, but they don't show any mounts. Says it takes standard Weaver bases, and pictures it mounted on a semi-auto pistol, but no information about such mounting bases........:confused:
  4. bompa

bompa New Member

What you saw was the Tasco optima,no longer made or sold..There are two similar sights to be had..The J-point and the Docter sight..Niether one is cheap but they are great units.. The J-point can be found at Midway USA and a couple of other places..
    The Docter sight is a bit more expensive,but better in my opinion,
    can be found by a google search..
    Check them out and take your pick...Have fun..
  5. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

You're right Bompa, those J-sights aren't cheap......:eek:

I'd rather stick to iron sights, and spend that 200 plus dollars on ammo........

One of these days I might try out one of the cheaper red dots on my .22, just to see how it works out. I even thought about getting one for my M1A someday, but the 2 bills those J-sights cost, diesn't even cover the cost of the mount to get it on my Beretta 96....assuming they make a mount for my gun.....
  6. bompa

bompa New Member

Your right that the sights are not cheap but when you can't see the open sights they are the only way to stay in the game.. A tube sight might be less money but when you do the drilling and tapping and the cost of a decent mount you will have spent a bit more than the cost of a J-point and mount..And it won't be as convient to use.. I have both systems and like the J-point type much better..
    The Docter is indeed the best but it will cost about a hundred more than the J-point and mount set up..It is also made of metal and glass instead of plastic.. Brighter dot also in dimmer light,like a indoor range..
  7. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

Does the J-point come with a mount, or is it an optional purchase....?

And do they make a mount that will bolt right to a Beretta 92/96 without expensive alterations needing a gun smith......?

I looked at the ATN's, and it appears that you need to install a Weaver style baseplate to mount those, and I assume that would require a gunsmith and drilling & tapping to the slide......

If I decide to go back to iron sights, or sell the gun, but keep the sight, I don't want to alter the gun to the point that the rear sight can't be re-attatched....if you know what I mean.....
  8. bompa

bompa New Member

I am not sure that a mount is made for the Beretta Pistol but I am sure that the maker of the sight,JP Rifles,would be able to tell you..As to how the sight is attached is to remove the rear sight and the mount goes in the sight slot in the slide..No holes to drill and can be returned to original sights with ease.. If JP has no mount perhaps EGW or some other maker might offer one..Just have to look around..Oh by the way the mount is not included with the sight but is not that expensive..I don't know if Tasco ever made one for the Beretta or not, but if they did it should be inexpensive..Again check around...