Red Dot sight for MKIII

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by 3/2 STA SS, Feb 13, 2012.

1. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Can anyone recommend a good red dot sight-not a lazer- for my MKIII that won't kill my bank account? Thanks one and all.
  2. Curlyjoe_99

Curlyjoe_99 Member

tough question...

cheaper cost usually equals lesser quality. Sight Mark makes several lower cost models & they resell to manufacturers like browning and others. just shop around on the net and see what you like and then search for reviews as well.

wish i had more,

curlyjoe
  3. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

I'm with Curly. There are a bunch of similar ones in the less than $100.00 mark. I have one with the AIM label and a couple of the Old Guys have the same sight. Another Old Guy has a similar sight with BSA label. One suggested piece of advice is to get a sight that has a manual adjustment to the intensity of the dot as opposed to those that have the auto adjust to dot intensity.

If the budget allows I have not heard a bad thing about the Ultra Dot line of sights in particular the Match Dot but we are talking $200.00

Here is my MK III wearing the AIM red dot, manual adjust.
    View attachment 58917

Here is another MK III wearing the Burris FastFire red dot, auto adjust.
    View attachment 58918

Here is a link to the Ultra Dot

http://www.theshootersbox.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=393
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  4. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I like the look of the Burris...thank you. I put the mount on the pistol the other day and said to myself '' I need a sight''.
  5. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

The Burris is a good one. But it gives me a bit of a problem shooting under the roof of my shooting table when the trees are all leafed out. The dot flares and gets large, too large for distances over 25 yards. Get out from under that roof and it works fine even in bright sunshine. Battery lasts a looooong time if I remember to turn it off, ha.
  6. Neverhome

Neverhome Member

I put a Tru Glow red dot on mine with 11 different brightness settings. The dot also gets larger with the higher power. I choose the 40 MM tube which is very big but works better for my old eyes. They also come in a 30MM tube. I paid around $65.00 at Cabelas. Just this weekend I say one at Walmart made by Tasco with a 30MM tube for around $35.00.

Neverhome
  7. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Good choices guys...now to get it done. Thanks.
  8. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Todd, those are FINE looking "systems" you have there!!!
  9. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Thanks Dale, I haven't had a chance to shoot the 5.5 Target other than a few test rounds into the basement bullet trap after I put the trigger kit in it. One of these days it will warm enough for the old man to get out and shoot. The Hunter is now wearing a Burris 4x long eye relief scope.

All the Old Guys have a .22 lr semi auto pistol with a red dot scope and I got to tell you they are a lot of fun. 3/2STA SS you are really going to enjoy shooting that pistol.
  10. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

This is the one I put on mine. I was at my local gun shop one day and he had three of these that he had just got in. I thought $20 was a fair price so I took all three of them and put one on the Ruger 22/45 and stuck the other two in the safe.

It is just a cheapo Simmons, but it is very accurate on the .22, my 11 yo granddaughter shoots a lot of bullseyes with this one.

Attached Files:

11. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

There are two basic type red dot: tube type and open frame type. The tube type have a longer distance from the LED to the reflecting surface, the back of the front lens element. That is equivalent to a longer sight radius with steel sights and give more precision sighting.

Some of the open types have the battery compartment located such that you have to remove them, loosing your zero, to change out the batteries. Some like the Burris Fast Fire have auto intensity and no way to turn the dot intensity up or down which can lead to blooming of the dot. Both types that have changeable patterns for the dot use a mechanical system for the different dots and if not perfect may require re-zeroing for each pattern. And the cheap ones of either style can suffer poor reliability from the pounding they take while riding on the gun.

The least expensive best red dot on the market is the UltraDot one inch single dot tube type red dot. They are durable, proven accurate, reliable, and come with mounts. UltraDot red dots are the favorite of most Bullseye competitors. You can shop around and find them for less than $140.

LDBennett
  12. Clint KY

Clint KY New Member

I bought an inexpensive Barska for less than $40 for my S&W 22A. In spite of all the "don't buy a cheap sight" advise I got, it works very well. I love the ability to turn the dot intensity up and down to suit the light situation. One thing to look for is make sure the sight uses easy to obtain batteries. My Barska uses ones that I can get at Wal*Mart while I saw one of the 'name brands" that used one that I could not find on the local battery rack.
  13. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Good to know...sometimes the batteries are what kill your wallet. I know my Surefire flashlights do...
  14. clamman

clamman Member

I'll second the Tru Glo. I have one on my Mark II and it works great.
  15. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

At Wally World right? I will check it out soon. Have to go to MI for the weekend...kids need to see snow...none here in FL.
  16. Neverhome

Neverhome Member

I haven't seen them at Wal Mart here in Maine. Cabelas has them. You might also try Gander Mountain if Wal Mart doesn't pan out.

Neverhome
  17. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Will do and thanks.
  18. jce07a

jce07a New Member

i put a little Tasco one on mine...its a tube style and was only like $30. i got it at academy. but i dont know what other states academy has stores in.
  19. Tom

Tom Member

My MK II678GC with the Ultradot L/T mini holosight.

Attached Files:

20. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I ended up with the Tasco 30mm red dot(1X) and 11 power settings for the red dot...$32 + tax at Wally World...Looks good and the red dot is very nice and came with a battery!. The clerk didn't even know that. Now to go shoot it....