red dot sights for .22 LR rifles?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Neil, Dec 19, 2004.

1. Neil

Neil New Member

I have been looking at BSA red dot sights for the .22 i might be getting for xmas, what do you think of red dot sights?
    Any pro's or con's?BSA .22 red dot
    that's the one I'm looking at.
    cheap and kinda cute.

Bushnell also has one that claims to be 100% waterproof. It's a couple more dollers.
    I want to play sharp shooter for really cheap so that's my goal.
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Go with the Bushnell if you insist on having a red dot on your .22.
    I sold BSA scopes for a while and replaced almost all that were sold.

Red dot scopes are fun to use but hard to zero. So if it's sharpshooting you want instead of getting on target fast, buy a scope with crosshairs. JMHO
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

Neil:

When I started shoting handguns regularly back in the 1980's I was intent on getting better. Every time I went to the range the results were depressing making it not fun. I decided I needed some positive reinforcement when I shot, so I put a red dot on my Ruger 357 mag (shooting 38 spl). While the red dot didn't directly make my shooting better it did show that my hold was shakey allowing me to work on it. I also took up shooting a precision pellet gun in the garage every day and that really helped. The red dot thing is good. I have several red dots, all Tasco, and they are fairly reliable. The trick, I believe with red dots is to pay enough so that they are quality (around $100). They take a beating from the recoil so the better the quality the longer they last. Some of the cheap ones don't have windage adjustment, either. Some have lifetime or long time warentees. I had to exercise it on one of the Tascos.

LDBennett
  4. Neil

Neil New Member

I believe the Bushnell one has Windage adj. LDBennett. Bushnell also makes a regular .22LR crosshair scope.

My buddy just told me to go Iron sights for a while, he said it will teach me more. Does that sound right?
  5. Bullseye

Bullseye New Member

I have used a dot sight like the one you included in your post. Mine is a Tasco but looks just like the one you have except for the finish. There is a Simmons that looks the same as well. I suspect the same factory produces this particular dot sight for various optical names.

I used mine on a Beeman air rifle with good results - for an inexpensive dot sight ($30) it performs to my satisfaction and has held up well on the air rifle.

If you have not learned to shoot iron sights yet I would be inclined to agree with your friend and learn to shoot standard sights first.

Attached Files:

6. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

Neil:

My point was that to get satisfaction use the red dot but to get better practice, practice, practice with iron sights.

As an aside for the iron sights, I found that my old eyes were having trouble focusing on the front sight (your focus is suppose to be there and not on the target-let the target be fuzzy but keep the front sight sharp). I started using a Merrit Sighting Aid (an adjustable iris that rubber suction cups onto your shooting glasses). In the smallest setting it makes the target, the front sight, and the rear sight all sharply in focus. It is hard to not have the correct sight picture when everything is in focus!

Also I found that hard trigger pulls upset my accuracy a lot. I typically do a trigger job on all my guns. 2.5 to 3.5 lb pulls are ideal. Much less pull and they may become too sensitive and too easy to set off at the wrong time.

LDBennett
  7. Colonel Plink

Colonel Plink New Member

I've had an el-cheapo BSA on my Marlin 7000. With the ATI stock, it more than looked cool, it was an unbeatable out to 100 yards. My brother called it my "Tactical Squirrel Rifle".
  8. Neil

Neil New Member

thank you LDBennett.
    I jsut got my xmas gift from the wife and it is a Rem. 597 22LR so I will use Iron's for a while.
    I have the eye problem that you described.
    I tried shooting one of those Berreta pistol/carbines with the pin/hole sights. coudn't see beans nor hit the broad side of a barn.
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2004
  9. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

Neil:

The device I suggested is not a "peep" sight afixed to the gun but a small aperature placed on your glasses to increase the "depth of focus" of your eye. You need to try one. To see the effect take a piece of electricians black tape, punch a large needle through it and put it on your glasses over your dominant eye. View the target set at 50 ft or so and both the front and rear sights through the hole. The view will be dimmer but all will appear to be in focus. The Merrit device allows you to control the size of the hole but I found indoors or outdoors the smallest setting almost always works fine.

Know which is your dominant eye? Put your finger at arms length and point at a far away object with both eyes open. Quickly alternate between each eye, one eye at a time, other eye closed, without moving you head or your finger. The eye where you finger stays on the distant object is the dominant eye. I shoot pistols right handed but aim with my left eye. Many other people have this cross dominance of eyes to shooting hand.

LDBennett
  10. Neil

Neil New Member

Ok I now I understand. I wouold like to try one of those. I am left eye dominant. so how would you purpose I shoot right handed rifles with my left eye. I'll ask my gun tech here if they have any.

thanks again LDBennet

Neil.
  11. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

Neil:

You could shoot left handed. I too am left eye dominant. I shoot pistols sighting with my left eye. For rifles I shoot right handed-right eyed but I make sure to either close my left eye or block it off with a blinder attached to my left lens of my glasses. Dominance is only important for quick shooting where the tendency is to leave both eyes open, like you might in pistol shooting. I do not know if dominance relates to a tendency to use the eye that happens to have better vision but that is my case.

Most of my modern guns have scopes on them. Most of my lever action guns have peep sights (which really do help if you use them right). I still use my Merrit sighting aid with the peep sights as well as with open sight on rifles or I may use another sighting aid that also clips to the glasses. This latter aid is a magnifying lens about the size of quarter that comes with as a set of lenses that you select from to sharpen up the front sight. With it you compromise the focus sharpness of the target to get the front sight in focus. You obviously have to use different power lenses for pistols than for rifles as the front sight is a whole lot farther from the eye on the rifle.

One of the advanges of using a red dot is that since it has no magnification you can leave both eyes open. The view is just as looking at the target but a bright red dot appears over the top of the target. Most all the Bullseye shooter and the run around and shoot metal target guys use Red Dots. They lead to more accurate shooting due to more accurate sighting. I use Red Dots and open sights. For the challenge I like open sights. The one pistol that I have with a Red Dot has it because it was too light without it and it danced all over the place when I held the gun out. It needed the extra weight. I have one on a Thompson Contender Rifle setup because it needs accurate sighting and lends itself well to a sight placed on the barrel away from the eye. It also is of a caliber that does not perform well at extended ranges so a scope is a waste. Older shooters (like me) have a lot of trouble with open sights (without the Merrit aid). For them the Red Dot is a revelation. New younger shooters should practice with open sight and perhaps have a gun with a Red Dot on it so that their shooting efforts don't seem so dismal while learning to shoot with open sights.

LDBennett
  12. Bill

Bill New Member

The posts have covered the Red dot scope question well. I agree that if your eyes are normal, first learn to shoot with open sights particularly on pistols.

Cheap red dots seem to work perfectly for me on low recoil guns like pnenumatic pellet guns and .22's. For High recoil pistols or rifles one should invest in the best more expensive models to ensure fixed alignment.

To bench shoot or shoot as accurate as possible, a scope is far superior due to the magnification and precise crosshairs. However, for hunting I think the red dot is a wonderful thing especially for us oldsters that can't see sights clearly and still want an open, unmagnified view. Bill
  13. Neil

Neil New Member

I'll try left and right hand at the range this week LDBennett.
    I have become ambidextrous from work so it shouldn't be a problem just need to see how the brass is flung from the rifle befor I go sticking my face near it :p

Thanks for all the info it is Most Welcome