Reduced loads

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by todd51, Oct 1, 2009.

1. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

I am looking at data for making some reduced .30-06 loads to fire in a 1903 Springfield. I am looking at the data in the Speer Reloading Manual No. 10. I plan on using IMR SR-4759 powder. I see the comment "Red Load" next to the lowest loading for that powder using any of the bullets listed. I don't know what that comment means. Can any of you tell me it's meaning? I hope this doesn't turn out to be a dumb question but I have searched the manual and find no reference to "Red Load".

I plan to use to 150gr. spitzers because I have them on hand. These rounds will be just for some plinking fun in an old rifle.
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

That might have confused other people. In the Speer #12, in little fine print next to the SR4759 loads, it says, "Reduced Load". I notice, with the 150 grain bullet, the loads go from 1620 to 1957 fps, vs. around 2500 to around 2800 the other loads do.

I'm going to take a SWAG that, in the #10, the RED was an abbreviation for Reduced.
  3. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Thanks Alpo,

Your SWAG may be spot on. I was just cautious when I see "Red". Usually means "Stop", "Whoa", or something similar. I have never loaded a reduced load in a rifle cartridge and want to proceed carefully and only use a tried and proven load. So the "Red Load" stopped me from proceeding.

I have sent an email off to Speer and asked them the same question but have not received a reply yet.

I really hate to bring up a controversial topic but what are your feelings on adding some tufting to reduced loads in rifle cartridges. That old Speer manual speaks to it but lots of folks say it is not necessary. I am not after great accuracy here just some safe reduced loads for some fun plinking.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

The 30-06 cartridge will produce velocities around 2750fps with a 150 gr bullet. If the velocities are much lower than that Id bet its an abbreviation of 'reduced load'. Reduced loads can be good fun from any rifle especially if the rifle generates big recoil from normal ammo. My Recoil comfort level is full power .30-06, anything more gets downloaded for general purpose shooting. I hate recoil, it takes all the fun outta shooting...;)
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Packing over the powder to hold it in place. I know lots of folks used to do it. I know some people still do do it. But the whole idea of it scares the hell out of me.
  6. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Thanks to Alpo and JLA!

I am 71 years of age and into comfort and fun in all things. The Springfield that I want to shoot the reduced loads is older than I am so it will appreciate some comfort levels too.

I looks like if Speer had put a period after the "Red" this old man would have caught on to what was meant but they didn't so that lead to my confusion. I believe if you are not sure ask and check it out.

Alpo, I too don't like the idea of stuffing something into that cartridge that is not normally there. I am not concerned about the variation in performance that might occur do to powder position. What I am concerned about is the possibility of detonation do to the extra space of reduced loads. That is why I only want to go with a tried and proven load.

Thanks again fellows for the assistance to this old man.
  7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

You might try Trail Boss. New Hodgdon powder (relatively new. 4 or 5 years old). Designed for use in light loads in large capacity black-powder era pistol cases. Very fluffy powder. Takes up a lot of room. Works good for reduced loads in rifles, too. Their website gives this data for 150 grain bullets, in ought six.
    150 GR. NOS BT - IMR Trail Boss - 3.250" OAL - 13.3 grains minimum at 1061 fps for 14,700 PSI up to 19.0 grains maximum at 1477 fps for 26,400 PSI
    http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I like the sound of that Alpo, .30-06 with the percieved recoil of a lever action .45 colt. NIIIIICE... That is solid gold information for recoil sensitive handloaders;)
  9. Lost One

Lost One New Member

Speer 13 doesn't list IMR SR-4759 powder for 150 grain bullet. It does show IMR SR-4759 reduced loads for 165 gr. bullet.
    I know this isnt the powder you mentioned but Speer 13 says:

LAB NOTE...

Look at the H4895 data above The start load of 42.0 grains duplicates the performance of the 30-30 with the same bullet weight. This is an excellent load for training new shooters.

The data is:
    30 BT Spitz-SP......COL: 3.250"
    30 Spitz-SP...........COL: 3.250"

150 grain bullet

Powder..........Wt. Grs.............Mzl. Vel.
    H4895............42.0.................2427

For the reduced load listing it does say:

150 grain bullet
    Powder...........Wt. Grs............Mzl. Vel.
    XMP................26.0................1933
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  10. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Thanks to all for the help. I am going to proceed with the IMR SR-4759 and follow the listing in Speer #10 because I have that powder and the 150gr. spitzers on hand. I will not be stuffing and Dacron in there, ha. If I take a liking to these reduced loads I will give Trail Boss a look see. Maybe by then the supply chain will have caught up.
  11. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Only thing about trail boss is it looks cheaper than it is.

Because it's so fluffy. They put it in the standard 1-pound-size Hodgdon black plastic jug, but it takes up so much room that there is only nine ounces.

http://www.grafs.com/search?q=trail...5*bdDhwg|a:1:{i:0;s:18:"_swat_form_process";}
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

yeah I know, I use cheerios in my cowboy guns and reduced .44 mag loads. Great powder and damn near impossible to overload a cartridge with it.;)