1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

references

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sovanna, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Sovanna

Sovanna New Member

I have absolutely no clue what in the world I'm talking about here. So please excuse any mistakes and my ignorance.

/disclaimers

I can't find a picture showing the top view of a pistol. The pistol has to be magazine loaded and a beretta of some type. I really need reference pictures for both art and fiction projects. The more futuristic the gun looks the better.

I'm also looking to find someone, heck maybe all of you can help me with fleshing out the main character in this piece of fiction (I have until September -- oh thank GOD! -- to finish the story itself) and he's supposed to be an expert in all types of weaponry. The only premise I was given was to create a masochistic, lone wolf, anti-hero who's in his late teens to early twenties.

I don't want my hero to fall into the cliched tall, dark and handsome nonsense. The main character can be anti-hero, but I don't want him to be a cookie cut out copy of every other hero out there. Would you like to give me some ideas? Help me out a little?

I need to know how to clean a weapon...any type. I need to know how to put it together. I need to know what all the parts of a gun are. I desperately need to know what would be the preferred weapon of a man who was raised in a military family and who's father was a sniper.

First hand experience would be even better if you're willing to share it with me.

A link to a how-to site with clear, crisp pictures would help quite a bit. I would thank you forever if any of you know of a site like that.

Sovanna
  2. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

Well hello there, Savanno. First post hey.

Most folks usually get to know each other a bit before asking for such meaningful information as writing a book.

How do you feel about the 2nd Amendment and the RKBA, how do you feel about the anti gun people trying to remove our firearms from private ownership.

How do you feel about GK.

Like to hear your opinions on those questions.

What other type of books have you written.

Welcome aboard.

Gunguy :rolleyes:
  3. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Sovanna.....welcome to TFF.

Wow! That's all a tall order.

First.....the Beretta. http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg108-e.htm

Look in the left hand column under "Italy".....lots of 'em there. Don't think there are any top views, though.

The most futuristic looking pistol, to me, is the Mauser HSc: http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg103-e.htm

"I need to know how to clean a weapon...any type. I need to know how to put it together."

OK....here's how to do it to that old standby, the Colt M1911:

http://www.sightm1911.com/ .....in the left hand column, click on "Care and Use", and when that page comes up, click on "Maintenance".

" I need to know what all the parts of a gun are."

Well, different guns will have different parts, but here's a page full of exploded diagrams and parts for a large variety of guns:

http://www.okiegunsmithshop.com/lvl25.html

"I desperately need to know what would be the preferred weapon of a man who was raised in a military family and who's father was a sniper."

Hmmmmm....what are we talking about here, sidearm or rifle....and what would it be used for.....and where and when was his father a sniper.

For instance, if we're talking sniper rifles.....if his father was a Marine sniper in WWII, he might prefer a Springfield Model '03, if he was an WWII or Korean war Army sniper, he might prefer an M1-C or D. If he was a sniper in Vietnam, a Remington Model 700.

Give us a little more info, and maybe we can make some better suggestions.
  4. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

Welcome to TFF Sovanna
    A beretta Neos is the most futuristic gun they make, Not very much $, I would through out the suggestion that you buy one at your local gun shop, take the pic's you want , read the safty and cleaning manual that comes with it, When your done with it, put an add in the paper "for sale" OR.......shoot, shooot, Shoooooot it

Beretta U22 NEOS Rimfire 22 long rifle pistol, 4.5 inch barrel, 10round magazine, INOX stainless steel finish.Specifications:Caliber: 22 LRAction: Single, Semi-automaticSafety: Ambidextrous safety leverMag Capacity: 10 rdsBarrel Length: 4.5" or 6"Sights: Adjustable Target Rear, Low Blade Front.Overall Length: 8.8" or 10.3"Overall Width: 1.5"Overall Height: 5.2"Weight: 31.7 oz or 36.2 ozGrips: PlasticSight Radius: 7.4" or 8.9"Finish: Matte Black or INOX Stainless Steel
  5. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

What the heck is an anti-hero? Sounds like a bad guy to me.

If this book is going to be used to propagate the myth that all gun owners are "masochistic, lone wolf, anti-heroes", then I want no part of it.

What is the setting of this story? Does it take place now? Or in the past/future?
  6. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

My thoughts exactly, Sniper. Story line sounded diffinetly anti gun to me. A teener gunman who's pappy was a sniper...gimmie a break.

The only teener gunmen I know of are in the Hood, or the US Army or Marine Corps.

The difference in the Hood and the US armed forces is the military are trained by professionals...they don't hold their pistols side-ways to look cool.

GG
  7. Sovanna

Sovanna New Member

Thanks for the welcome, I've actually been lurking for awhile. This is for an excersize in researching details for a college project. I'm not publishing it for anyone but myself and the professor to see unless I think it's going to be good enough to deserve permancy. I'm rather anal retentive in just about everything I do so I wanted to actually know what in the world I'm talking about first before typing a single letter.

The 2nd Amendment's about the right to own guns. I have the RKBA bookmarked prominantly and I'm all for both. But my Father perversely isn't. (Has an issue with his baby girl holding anything more dangerous than a sparkler. *grimacing* Which is why I'm doing online research. Father: Where did you get that gun? How did you afford it? You've got fifteen males in the family and two of them are living with you, why do you need one? What did I say about this topic? Me: Uh...research? Father: I told you college is no good for you. You're a goddamned girl...*coughs* In fact, I just had a good portion of that arguement earlier today.) Between the various males in my family, Father included, they could outfit a small country's army. We also have a lot of children so they know about responsibilities and gunlocks.

The anti-gun people need to get their heads out of their arse. Better yet, they should live a day in the country I was born in. They'd be running for weapons (any kind, heck a 2x4 studded with nails and glass would do) so fast their shoes would shred...if they are even lucky enough to be able to afford a pair of shoes that is.

I'm not sure what GK is and did some hunting. Anti-aircraft guns?! German Project, something called GK 2041? That's what I got on the search engine.

Xracer:
    Thank you for all the links! Especially of that maintence and parts site. That what I was looking for. Thank you so much!

The character's father was in the Vietnam wars and was transferred all around the Southeast Asian area. He carries three sidearms and two rifles. (What I see when I look at photos of my father. He was not a US soldier, so I don't know if I can use that information for some one still in the US army.) I see a lot of rifles in my father's collection, but he won't let me go anywhere near them so I don't know what make or model they are. When he refers to them its all in my language, so I don't know the English versions. His favorite is the long, black one used in Black Hawk Down by the US soldier shot dead in the remains of a helicopter.

1952sniper:
    An anti-hero is the type of hero who doesn't want to be one but is forced into the role because the so-called competent guy couldn't get it done. This story takes place in a parallel history of our world. Meaning that it's still 2004, but technology has advanced a bit (not so much that the average reader gets lost or have problems identifying kitchen appliances), countries have changed alliances and even sometimes borders and in some cases like China and most of the Mediterranean countries have even been dissolved. This world already has space colonies and the world is a lot smaller than my hero likes it to be. Most of this, however, is not what I'm concentrating on. That's for the others in my class to deal with.

My hero will be just your joe who happens to be from a military family. His father and father's buddies from the army taught him most everything he knows of guns. He's not exactly handsome and works out only because he has too not for vanity/other's opinions of him. He has no qualms about living by himself with no girlfriend or friends period. He's also at home in a party atmosphere and has no problems in getting women if he feels a need for companionship...which most of them he doesn't.

His stand on owning/using guns is if someone uses it on him, he's retaliating. And if that someone's guns is used on him though that someone doesn't know it, then he's not only going after the gunman, but the owner himself for reckless stupidity and negligence. Other that, he's most definitly NOT a vigilante and admittingly, neither is he a good samaritan, his feelings are to live and leave him alone.

He is NOT anti-social. Anti-social refers to someone like an anarchist or a Klu Klux Klan member and are selfish, bigoted, narrow minded little punks. His choice of weaponry is in fact any sharp, mundane objects which can be picked up and used at a moments notice. His inventiveness has lead to everything from forks to fishing lines...a gun isn't always on hand when he's in trouble. He goes to school during the day, works at a small grocery store his grandparents runs when out of school, then goes to his regular job at a gas station in the evenings...even if the latter job has a high risk of getting him killed. He's a cheerful, well adjusted, basically decent guy who has his problems with bills, solicitors, girlfriends, friends, families and even a crush from another guy.

Sovanna
  8. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

welcome Sovanna

my oldest son write comic books ,and is one heck of an artist ,so i understand the plot a bit better ,i even knew what a anti-hero was {lol}

remember it is illegal for even a late teen to own a handgun ,if you are trying to follow the laws with your character you might want to change the weapon to a small carbine

maybe look into this one

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12176

or try the fn ,you might have seen lucy lu use it in ecks vs. sever ,both of these would fill your need
  9. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Welcome to TFF Sovanna! Looks like Xracer has given you some good links...I saved 'em to use also... ;)
  10. Sovanna

Sovanna New Member

gpostal:
    Thank you for the welcome. Oh, really? *thinks of her male cousins* I wonder if they know that. I'm not telling them though. They'll just tell me to be a girl and mind my own business. Thank you, that's the kind of info I need too. Are your son's comics in circulation? I'd love to check them out if I can.

Ah, I'll have to look up carbine. *grins* But thank you again.

Smokin Gun
    Thank you also for the welcome and yes, those are some links! I can't thank Xracer enough for them.

Sovanna
  11. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Sovanna, welcome to TFF. Glad you joined us. Here is the M1 carbine that GPostal was telling you about. It also has details about disassembly and the rest.

M1 Carbine

You may also want to look at the FN-LAR:

FN-LAR

Good luck in your writings!
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2004
  12. Sovanna

Sovanna New Member

1952sniper & Gunguy:
    That would go beyond naive to come on an obviously gun loving forum *reads the url again just to make sure* and ask for help about writing an anti-gun fiction. I'm known as being thickheaded, stubborn and some times annoying to the extreme, but that's just taking stupidity too far.

inplanotx:
    Thank you! I need all the luck I can get. The link helps quite a bit too.

ysacres:
    How good does the neo fire? Is it reliable? Would a soldier use it or call it a civvie toy?

Sovanna
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2004
  13. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

Sorry I forget the word carbine can be interpreted in a few ways ,my neck of the woods it means 16 inch barrel ,also it in the legal minimum length of a rifle barrel

The m1 would not be considered futuristic ,but the xm and fnprodject would be able to help with the fn {the name escapes me at the moment}

No his comics are not in circulation ,but he has been writing and drawing them since he was seven ,he draws anna mea {spelling?} type characters ,I will scan one of his pics

xm8

http://www.hk-usa.com/pages/military-le/mil-leimages/xm8_rightmed.jpg
  14. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Postal, you're correct. The M1 is not futuristic at all. Sorry about that.

However, the FN-LAR paratroop model is with it's folding stock and small barrel. I'll post a pic later. Have to go to work for a couple of hours.

I think the spelling is "anime", if I am not mistaken. Originally Japanese I believe.
  15. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

thats the one plano