Refinished my first shotgun! Pics!

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Brad - Stevens 311, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Brad - Stevens 311

Brad - Stevens 311 New Member

Hello everyone, Just wanted to share some pics of my first gun stock refinish job. Well it may not look like much to some, But this is one of my prized shotguns, My Stevens 311 12ga. When I first got it the original finish was toast. It was all faded and chipped everywere, So I decided to give it a little makeover. I apologize everyone for no before pics. When I took pics with my camera the peice of junk didn't save them to the card. It is my fault for not checking. But anyways I picked up a Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil refinish kit and got to work. I had no trouble at all removing the old finish with the stripper. I sanded the stock down with 120 and then 180. After wiping with a cloth I applied the walnut stain. I didn't dilute the stain any, I used it straight from the bottle. After letting it dry I buffed the stock and foregrip with 400 grit and moved to Tru-Oil. I ended up using 7 coats in total along with a sanding with 400 in between every coat. So here is the final product. I don't think it looks to bad for my first time. Let me know what you guys think! Enjoy the pics. - Brad

Attached Files:

2. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

wow beautiful job that's walnut thought it would have looked darker
  3. Brad - Stevens 311

Thanks BETH! Yeah I will admit I wanted it a little darker. But I am still happy with the results. I know now so when I do my next gun I will apply more stain. I have a couple more old relics that need some tlc. Thanks, - Brad
  4. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Brad i like the color the way it is
  5. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

this is the thread Jim can't see Carl
  6. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

Hey Now, that looks good.
  7. sting75ray

sting75ray Well-Known Member

Looks good. Here is my Rem 81 that I did this past summer. It has about a dozen coats of Tru-oil with 0000 steel wool in between each coat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  8. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Both guns look great. Well done both of you.
  9. Munch

Munch Member

Those are both excellent looking restorations. I like the steel wool also. Has given me good results as well StingRay. Outstanding workmanship on both your parts, keep it up!
  10. norahc

norahc Active Member

An hour's drive from the nearest McDonald's
    I've been so busy troubleshooting why one member is having a problem with the pics in this thread, I forgot to comment on it.

Nice job on the refinishing. I still like the classic look for certain things, and this is one of them.
  11. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Brad, I finally am able to see your pics. It was important to me because I am going to do a stock sometime this year. The wood turned out beautiful on that shotgun. Very nice and thanks for the pics.

Jim
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Looks dang good.
  13. jyantkilr

jyantkilr Former Guest

I like it, great job. The color is cool. I have the same model and will be finished with mine in a couple days. I used rosewood gel stain and I'm on the 4th coat of wiping varnish. Mine is almost the same color I think. I'll post when I'm done, we can compare colors. I was going to go over the rosewood with a walnut to darken it more but I like the color. Had the stain left over from my kitchen cabs.
  14. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Awesome!!! (just put a recoil pad on one just like that Brad)
    Nice to both guns!
  15. Fast Forward

Fast Forward Member

Nice work Guys
  16. Claudius Valarium

Claudius Valarium Member

So. Central TX, AKA the Middle of Flyover Country
  17. Brad - Stevens 311

Hey nice looking 81 You have there! My grampa has one just like that except its a model 8 made in like 1904 or something and its chambered for the 30 remington cartridge. Its really cool, It has a rear peep sight and you can hit about anything with it. Its super accurate but hard to get bullets for. Thanks, - Brad
  18. Brad - Stevens 311

Thanks Jim, Yeah i don't know why the pics didn't upload at first. I don't know if the site was busy or something. Not sure.... I'm just glad they finally uploaded lol. Thanks again Jim, - Brad
  19. Brad - Stevens 311

Yeah thanks norahc! My main goal was to try to give it that old school look.
    I am truly impressed with the results from birchwood casey. It really brought the gun back to life. - Brad
  20. Brad - Stevens 311

Thanks man, Can't wait to see the pics of yours! I really enjoyed doing mine. I got a couple more guns in need of refinishing. - Brad