Refinished my first shotgun! Pics!

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Brad - Stevens 311, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Job well Done Brad!!! Looks really good!
  2. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

You're too good at this Brad, and it shows!
    I had to start with the 80 grit and didn't stop until 400 (I had lots of dings and scratches). Too many curves to use a jitterbug; my hands were sore afterward.
  3. jyantkilr

jyantkilr Former Guest

Thanks Brad. I love it. I don't own any other shotgun. I'm a firm believer in knowing your weapon and becoming one with it. I don't hunt but shoot clays with it and I am pretty dang accurate at hip shooting with it. I scoff at the folks who think they need a short barrel "security" weapon for home defense. I reckon my next shotgun would be an O/U, love the whole concept of two barrels. I know if I had two rounds splashing around me and survived, I'm moving in the opposite direction. Nothing says hello like a 12 ga.
  4. Brad - Stevens 311

Brad - Stevens 311 New Member

Thanks MSGT-R! I've always enjoyed wood working. My grampa used to do wood work when I was younger and he showed me the basics. I don't think any electric sander can match the true craftsman ship of hand sanding. Plus I just like working with my hands. - Brad
  5. Brad - Stevens 311

Yep, I love shotguns! They're fun and cheap to shoot. Double barrels rule in my book. I was never a big fan of the over unders, But if your looking for one and don't know what to get I'd get the stoeger Condor. My buddy has one and it is probably the smoothest firing shotgun I've ever shot. The action is very smooth on them, They're light weight, And they don't pound the hell out of your shoulder. They're chambered in 12ga & 20ga. I wish they made them in 16ga! 16ga is my all time favorite in between shell. I don't like 20ga at all. I have a 20ga shotgun, And you couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it unless you were inside the barn. - Brad
  6. GunNut89

GunNut89 New Member

thanks for the pointers Brad. im hoping to start refinishing mine soon. i took some notes down from your posts and im sure they will be a major help. i just gotta finish my 100 other winter projects first haha
  7. jyantkilr

jyantkilr Former Guest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqtC_8zBzaw&feature=related

Here is a cute video of the proper technique performed by an officer of hip shooting a 12 gauge.

When a 26" or 28" shotgun barrel is hip shot, it manuvers around doors just as easy as the "security" models, maybe even easier because you are in shooting position. Tests show in the fight or flight adrenaline rush you will get tunnel vision and have to move your head left and right to scan ahead. I doubt one would have the gun at shoulder height aimed banging into walls as you're trying to see. You will gain approx. 5" in shorter length hip shooting bringing the total length about the same but your head can turn freely while the weapon continues to point and be aimed down the hall/room.

Why spend the extra dough?
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  8. firebird8073

firebird8073 New Member

Awesome job, very good work, now on to the next one right?
  9. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 New Member

Beautiful
    But I am guessing it's not walnut.
  10. Brad - Stevens 311

Thanks Bush master! I'm pretty sure its walnut. I belive all 311's had walnut stocks, But I could be wrong. - Brad
  11. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

I have one in 410. I was with my Dad when he bought it new. I inherited it 12 years ago when he passed. He told me he had wanted that little gun for many years. I love it also. It's still like new and yours looks very similiar to it. These shotguns are becoming more desirable among collectors ,but mine ain't going any place. :)
  12. Little Rooster

Little Rooster New Member

Nice Brad. I like the color. I have a 311 the finish on it is good but it is an awful blonde color
  13. Brad - Stevens 311

Yeah I see they made them in 410ga, And 16ga! The 410's & 16's seem to be more scarce. The 311's are definately a rugged well built shotgun. Not to mention they are american made and built to last. Plus its fun to pull both triggers and watch your target blow up! lol.
  14. Brad - Stevens 311

Thanks LR! I really like how it turned out! I never expected it to come out like it did. It looks like a cherry finish. I agree on the ugly factory finish, Which is what persuaded me to refinish it. - Brad
  15. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

I re-did three rifles this year, one was pretty "blond". I used a cherry stain and it darkened down to the customary walnut color with a warm tone.
  16. XP100

XP100 Member

Looks great for the first time doing a stock. Don't know how you canimprove much.