refinishing a stock problem

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

cloudjockey
    (4/13/02 10:07:14 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All refinishing a stock problem
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey guys, I'm new to the refinishing thing, so I started with a M44. I sanded the stock down, got all the dings and nicks out of it, then I rinished it with acetone (to get all the oil off). I then put about 4-5 coats of tung oil on it. Each coat dried in about 6-10 hours. It turned out pretty good (for my first attempt). My problem is, when I did this to my 98 the tung oil never dried. I put one coat on it (not very thick) and it's been about 48 hours and it is still sticky. Is there a step that I'm missing?

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/13/02 3:26:50 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: refinishing a stock problem
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Different types of wood will have tighter or looser wood grains which effect the porosity, plus some woods have a natural resin content that will inhibit the oil penetration and set. It sounds like your 98 has a wood stock with a tighter grain and/or natural resin or oil content. It will just be a slower finishing process. If possible, let the stock set in a warm dry area (80 to 90 degrees is ideal), and after 48 hours, wipe off any excess tung oil. Let it set another couple days, then repeat the application. When you achieve the finish depth of sheen you desire, let the last coat of tung oil sit on it for a lot longer - possibly weeks - to final set.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/13/02 5:05:21 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: refinishing a stock problem
    That's one of the reasons I like TruOil best...it's like half linseed and half of something else, it USUALLY dries in about 2 hours, you can hit with steel wool and recoat...

The LONGEST I ever had to wait between coats is overnight...and it seems to take less coats, sometimes as little as 2 to get the sheen you want...

And it seems to protect better, I have some stocks on a muzzleloader in particular that's pushing 10 years and it looks as good as new, and it's been hunted in some rough brush and bad weather....

It's a lot more expensive, like $3-4 for a little bitty bottle, but I thin it;s worth it.

I "stretched it" one time by adding linseed when the bottle was about half full, and it worked as good, just drying time was exactly doubled, about 4 hours minimum between coats, but the results were the same...so next time I buy a bottle I'm going to dump half in an old bottle, then add linseed to fill both, double the amount, halve the cost...
    "Don't hear him call you an ---hole, hear WHY he's calling you an ---hole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"

cloudjockey
    (4/17/02 9:06:15 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del I'll try the truOil
    Thanks for the advice, I'll give that a try. I fnally got the tung oil to dry. We had some warm weather here and i sat it outside all day. Seems to be dry now.