Refurbishing Enfield Mags (or How to Pi$$ off your wife)

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/23/02 9:46:18 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Refurbishing Enfield Mags (or How to Pi$$ off your wife)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Got an order of Enfield mags from Springfield Sporters - 10 No. 1 Mk III mags, and 10 No. 4 Mk I mags. Now these things were cosmoline packed grease balls, some of the No. 1 mags had red and yellow paint on them, they were all in used condition, etc.

I scraped off some of the old goo and paper crap, and thought - "this is tedious. There has got to be a better way". I got a bucket, and filled it with hot water and degreaser solution. The magazines were then dumped in there to soak for about a half hour (about long enough to wait for the wife to leave the house). I then dumped off the degreaser stuff, and stuck all the magazines in the dishwasher, and ran it on the pots and pans cycle. After that, the cosmo and dirt was pretty well gone. I then mixed a bucket of rust/blueing remover solution (Brownell's), soaked the mags for about fifteen minutes in that, rinsed them thoroughly, and popped them in the oven at 200 degrees for about a half hour to dry out.

Ooops - the wife came home about then and caught me with the goods in the oven. Needless to say, she was not too pleased, and let me know in no uncertain terms (thank God she didn't know about the dishwasher!).

Anyway, after they dried and cooled, I have been burnishing them with steel wool and preparing them for reblueing or painting with black stove paint. All of the No. 1 Mk III, and half of the No. 4 Mk I mags will be reblued, and the other half of the No. 4 Mk.I will be painted with black stove paint and cured at 200 degrees for several hours. I have 12 of the mags burnished and ready, the others will wait until tomorrow.

Right now I am trying to persuade my wife to let me sleep in the bed tonight instead of the garage.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

Edited by: Bob In St Louis at: 3/23/02 9:49:49 pm

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/23/02 9:54:33 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Refurbishing Enfield Mags (or How to Pi$$ off your wife)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bob, thank god I'm not married, though mom is still just a bit po'd I used one of her turkey roasters to boil gun parts in.

How was I to know she still used it?

Tac401
    Administrator
    (3/23/02 10:00:09 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter

TFF VMBB Email Tac

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/24/02 8:06:33 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Refurbishing Enfield Mags (or How to Pi$$ off your wife)
    ya'll tickle the sh t outta' me! lol

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/24/02 9:52:14 am)
    ......and then there was the time I cleaned a motorcycle engine in the bathtub.

Women just don't understand these things!

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/24/02 10:08:56 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    XRacer where else would you clean a motorcycle engine? It's too big to fit into the sink.

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/24/02 1:06:24 pm)
    WOW! The Dishwasher! Never thought of that, I wonder if it will close with an M44 in there....HHHHmmmmm....

Used to clean .45 cases in the washer, put a hundred or so deprimed cases in an old pair of panty hose, and throw them in the white towels and undies on hot when the wife wasn't looking...got away with it too until the time the "old" pair of pantyhose happened to be a "new" pair of panty hose and I caught hell...but the cases came out really nice!
    "Don't hear him call you an @sshole, hear WHY he's calling you an @sshole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"

Edited by: polishshooter at: 3/24/02 1:09:32 pm

cointoss 2
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/24/02 5:37:26 pm)
    Put my boots in the oven just once to melt the bear grease into em, I still hear the complaining from 25 years ago. And the time I used the microwave to dry out desicant bags and wet chalk line, had to pat myself on the back for that one. But what an idea on the dish washer Bob I like it!
    cointoss2

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/24/02 7:20:01 pm)
    We need to come up with an endorsement...

"Cascade-The Dishwashing Detergent Endorsed By 9 out of 10 members of TheFirearmsForum as #1 for Cosmoline Removal!"
    "Don't hear him call you an @sshole, hear WHY he's calling you an @sshole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"

ruffitt
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/25/02 2:14:42 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    If you're gonna endorse Cascade then we havta endorse Jet Dry also to keep the waterspots and streaks off the cases when they dry.
    RuffItt

walter in florida
    (3/25/02 12:21:39 pm)
    Humm, I got some desicant bags that need to be dryed out. Humm. I think my wife needs to go to get her hair fixed. The traffic is too heavy so I will drive her there and she can call when she done.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/25/02 2:41:15 pm)
    Does five extra large catfish in the spare bathroom tub, count? LTS
    T.F.F.

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/25/02 6:47:38 pm)
    Depends, LTS, on whether your wife takes a shower with the lights off...

Rich in Lincoln
    (3/27/02 1:05:30 pm)
    I had a buddy that told me when he was in the army a couple years back they use to take their M16s in the hot shower with them and coat them with shaving cream. This was supposed to remove carbon. Never tried it. I can imagine what would happen if my wife found me naked in the shower with my SKS and a can of shaving cream!

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/27/02 9:57:56 pm)
    Rich, LMAO.

Better your SKS than something (someone?) else....

"Well, honey, let me explain..."

"You see I have a buddy that said he and his buddies used to play with THEIR guns in the shower all the time!"

(The hole gets deeper...)

"Don't hear him call you an ---hole, hear WHY he's calling you an ---hole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/28/02 12:14:43 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Hmmm, Bob what are you looking to sell the Enfield mags for?

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/28/02 1:53:02 pm)
    I sell them at the gunshows for $30 each, but as a TFF special, I will sell them for $22 plus shipping.

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/28/02 2:49:59 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Okay, I'll pick up a money order tomorrow - would like one of them.

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/28/02 3:28:51 pm)
    Which do you want? I have the No. 4 Mk I mags in both blued or black paint, and the No. 1 Mk III mags are all blued. Shipping shouldn't be more than $3, so $25 total.

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/28/02 7:41:07 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Doesn't really matter Bob as they can be switched. Trust me I've already tried it.

Probably best take the No. 1 Mark III mag since I have two of the No. 4's (hmmm yep two No. 4 rifles, two mag's) lol.

I'll get it mailed out no later than Saturday - got to take the car in tomorrow morning for a new muffler and go get an eye exam and hopefully new glasses and sunglasses as well.