Refusal to sell

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by TIG, Dec 25, 2007.

1. TIG

TIG New Member

Hello, I am new to this site and so far I really enjoy it. I have a question if you guys could help me out. This is how the story goes, my brother is looking to buy a new shotgun for duck hunting so we set out shopping for different guns at different retail stores and gun stores. We were both looking at guns and getting a feel for them seeing wich ones felt the best at the first retail store. Long story short we went around town looking for better deals but we ended up at the first store again. My brother decided what he wanted so he set off to buy it and at that time it was late in the afternoon. the salesman gave him the paper work and my brother started filling it out. About midway through the registration, the guy that we spoke to earlier in the morning came out and told us that we cant buy the gun with out even finishing the backround check. He assumed that earlier in the morning I was going to buy the gun because I was talking guns with him more than my brother was and I was apparently holding the guns longer than my brother was. Anyways he said quote on quote "Were not going to let you buy the gun right now because ealier we assumed that you were going to buy it and now your brother is buying it and this is looking like a very suspecious deal otherwise known as a Straw deal." I was appalled. My brother didnt even finish the backround check and they closed the deal because they thought he was buying the gun for me. Very Very disappointed in that deal and to tell you the truth very pissed off, they made a fuss in the store and made us look like fools, has this happend to anybody?Thanks,
    Kris
  2. travihanson

travihanson New Member

Sounds like a bunch of crap to me...What state do you live in?!
  3. TIG

TIG New Member

Well allright then, I'm not crazy. have you ever heard of such a thing! I live in Arizona. I'm going to go in with my brother again tomarrow, if they refuse to sell again i'll be very mad! Basically what their saying is you have to purchase a gun alone and not with a buddy or hell my own brother. what do you think of that! Thank for the response
    Kris
  4. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Supporting Member

Find another gunshop not staffed by idiots.
  5. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

Move to Texas.
  6. TIG

TIG New Member

Ya this whole deal is a bunch of crap, not naming any names (Sportsman Warehouse) I am very disipointed and lost a customer for life! I keep thinking about it more and more It just makes me madder!
    Kris
  7. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Welcome to the asylum TIG.

That mentality is why I left AZ 10 yrs ago.

Turning into liberal enclave.
  8. TIG

TIG New Member

Thanks for the welcoming guys. is that legal to refuse to sell a gun to a customer without even doing a backround check?
    Kris
  9. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Well-Known Member

They are more than likely legaly allowed to be dumb asses if they like....

Donny
  10. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

It is scary what they can do ! like Pickenup says
    "we need more chlorine in the gene pool"
  11. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Workin at a gunshop I understand both sides of the situation. It is a pain in the butt but it us very possible that they(gunshop) could have just got burned by ATF. And were real sticky about the laws. From the gun shops point of view, If two people come into the shop one of them acts like he wants a shotgun and holds it gets a feel for it, Leaves then comes back and someone else wants to buy it. It does look like a straw purchase.
  12. TIG

TIG New Member

I understand the gun shops point of view fully, I dont blame them. But to refuse to sell a gun on one guys assumtion just does not seem right. So if I go into the gun shop today and go with my brother again to buy the gun with me standing there are they going to assume forever that my bro is buying the gun for me and never sell him the gun?
    Kris
  13. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Well, it sounds simple enough to me. Tell the guy at the gun store that you really want the gun after all. You fill out the paperwork and then when the background check for YOU goes through, you change your mind just to prove to this guy that you're not trying to pull something over on him. I'm assuming that you can otherwise buy a gun. After both checks are done, they should have no problem and if they do, they're idiots... There's a local guy who has done time for knowingly selling a gun to an undercover cop who told him that the gun was 'for his buddy....'

BUT, if you can't legally own a gun, you shouldn't go with your brother to pick one out... There's too much suspicion involved.

When my wife purchased her .38, I was the one really looking at them because she's not a gun guru and definitely not a haggler on price. When it came time to make the purchase, my wife bought the gun because it was FOR her. I was very surprised that we didn't get a line like the one you got at your gun store. If we had gotten that line, I would have told them to run my background check if they needed proof that there was no reason for a straw buy to take place. Moral of the story, let them know up front that both of you can legally own a gun and you're not afraid of a background check to prove it.

Beware that this may pi55 the seller off... :)
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2007
  14. TIG

TIG New Member

Ponycar17, thats exactly what I said. I offered to have my backround checked in front of the sales man and the guy said that they cant do that on a single purchase. that would take care of the problem, simple enough just like you said. anyways what can you do.
    Kris
  15. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

If you did that, and they still didn't want to cooperate with you, I'd go find another gun store.

But before I left, I'd let him know that when you accuse someone of a felony without supporting proof you're committing slander, and that you'd be writing a letter to the store's corporate HQ stating just that. And then find a gun store without idiots working in it, as was stated already... I feel for ya'... I hate when stuff like that happens.