The Firearms Forum banner

reliability?? fullsize 9 or 3 inch 45

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Captain Jack 
#1 ·
Especially if you've owned both...
Given good brand fmj and hollowpoint...did you find any reliability difference between 5 inch 9mm and officers size 45....
And which was more reliable...
I have 3 inch 45 and finally got the right combo for 99% reliability...was thinking of full size 9 for ammo savings etc...

#3 ·
Impossible to answer without looking at specific guns. I have a Colt Defender and it's 100% reliable. I also have a Taurus 9mm 1911 and once I fixed a few small issues it's 100% reliable as well. Is every 3" 1911 reliable? Is every 5" 9mm 1911 reliable? Who knows...

#4 ·
My Colt Lightweight Officers 3 inch is 100% reliable with 230 gr. FMJ loads. I've run hundreds through it without a hiccup. I don't trust hollowpoint .45's with a short barrel so I don't use them.

My favorite full-size 9mm pistol is the Browning HP. Brownings are famous for reliability. My High Power feeds everything I put in it.... FMJ, HP of any weight, reloads, everything.

#5 ·
Really depends on what your looking at. The Kimber and STI compacts for the most part are very reliable. The EMP's need some work but once that is taken care of they run well but they do not come in 45.

#6 · (Edited)
I just got a sw pro 1911 9mm and have about 600 rounds thru it and split that up with 3 different brands of ammo and i have not had one jam or hickup love this gun accurate as hek nail driver at 50 ft really started shooting strait after about 150 rounds and did fool around and hit a 6in circle at 50 yrds 3in out of 8 rounds i bet if i put it in vise would be better percentage , i bought it to lower my cost of 45 ammo gets up there i need to start reloading soon I also have a sw 945 3.25 in barell and it shoots whatever when ever

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.