The Firearms Forum banner

Reliability question...

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  DWARREN123 
#1 · (Edited)
I have read about it and several people have admitted it to me including the gunshop owner....

And that is that the smaller mini 45 1911s do not have the same reliability track record as the medium commander sized or the full sized 1911s have.

The gunshop owner said there are things that can be done to bring the mini 1911s closer to the reliability but it never is quite as reliable as a good working commander.

So my question is this. Just how much "LESS" reliable are the mini 1911s? The one i am looking at is a Kimber.

Wouldn't it be better to carry a 9mm in a kind of gun that does not have reliablility issues with their smaller guns? Or is the mini close enough.

What kind of cycling problems occur on these mini 1911s ?? Why are the mini 1911s noted for being less reliable than full size 1911s??

mike
gn

#2 ·
The recoil spring really takes a beating on the smaller 1911's and should be changed often. A lot of gun owners fail to do this and when the pistol starts giving trouble, it's considered "junk' and traded to the local gunshop. I change the recoil spring in my Kimber every 800 rounds, use good quality ( Wilson) mags, keep the weapon lubed and never have any problems.

It's really all about maintainance.

Attachments

#3 ·
I can't really answer you question, but it seems that Shooter45 might just have a solution to the problem. I have noticed over the years that a lot of the "small" semi-autos have problems, no matter what caliber they are chambered for.

#4 ·
The recoil spring really takes a beating on the smaller 1911's and should be changed often. A lot of gun owners fail to do this and when the pistol starts giving trouble, it's considered "junk' and traded to the local gunshop. I change the recoil spring in my Kimber every 800 rounds, use good quality ( Wilson) mags, keep the weapon lubed and never have any problems.

It's really all about maintainance.
Every 800 rounds?!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

That tells me one thing right there... A revolver would make a better gun for CCW !!!!!

So i assume the medium commander size 1911s are a little hard on their springs as well?
How often do commander sized 1911s need their recoil springs changed out?

What do those springs run "generally" speaking? And what brand is best? Wolf Brand? Or original manufacturer springs?

mike
gn

#6 ·
I change the Commander spring about every 2000 rounds and replace it with a #20 Wolfe Variable Power spring. Cost around $6.
Oh...that's not too bad. I was afraid that those springs would have been $20 or more. That's a relief!

Thanks Sam!

mike
gn

#8 ·
Every 800 rounds?!!!!
That tells me one thing right there... A revolver would make a better gun for CCW !!!!!
True, a good revolver is always a better choice to protect your life than a bottom feeder. Fewer things to go wrong and if you run into a bad round of ammo, a good round is just a trigger pull away (as opposed to the standard semiauto drill of pee your pants then do a tap-rack-pull).

#10 ·
i had a compact springfield armory 1911 for a while. it had a 3 1/2 barrel. i never had any trouble out of it, i think i shot a couple hundred rounds out of it. but it did have a new spring. most of the time if i get a used gun i intend to keep i change the springs, depending of course on what it is.

#11 ·
One of the companies I purchase from says 2500 rds for a 5", 1500 rds for a 4.25" and below that every 500-800 rounds (depending on the weapon). Personally I would not own a short (below 4"). The above changes are based on normal ammo - hot stuff you change them more often.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.