Religious discussion.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lohki13, Nov 16, 2007.

1. lohki13

lohki13 Former Guest

Well since the holidays are coming up i thought i would post something i have always found interesting.

http://ancienthistory.about.com/cs/celtsmyth/a/lochalloween.htm
    I think i like the Celtic version better.

For all you people who get upset about X-mas.
    http://ancienthistory.about.com/od/christianholidays/f/Xmas.htm

I think this is where the Christian holiday from.
    http://ancienthistory.about.com/od/saturnalia/a/saturnalia.htm

What i mean is what happened to all of the other gods people used to believe in Norse/Roman/Egyptian/etc. You can't really call them all myths because that would mean you have no right to get mad when someone calls Christianity/Judaism/Islam(or whatever it is)

My theory is the only religions that survive today did so by killing off the other ones.(probably going to piss some folks off)

But somewhere all religions that we have now came from the same place.
    They all have similarities as if they started as one and branched off.(evolved in separate areas which leads to why they are different.)

Whos to say God/Allah aren't the same thing. I can't deny that Jesus might have lived but i sure know he didn't die for my sins. I figure he was a prophet who spread his ideas and through history word of mouth, written words has turned him into a Iconic figure but if we are all gods children what makes him better than me.(and don't say because he was crucified lots of people where back then)

Well this post will probably make me look like an @ss. I thought it would make a lively discussion. No Flaming Please.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2007
  2. charagrin

charagrin Former Guest

I agree, Look at christianity. The crusades, And such. The thing is, No single religion can prove they are right. They all say "we exist therefore our god is real", But since they all say that, All the gods are real then. But then they say, "Oh no, just ours".
    Not to mention most religions make up stuff. If a bad guy dies of cancer, Its a discipline. If a 2 year old dies of cancer, Its satan, Or gods working in mysterious ways. All utter rubbish.
    If it supports their religion its correct, If not, Then its wrong. Some religions also say that the dinosaurs dont exist! If they didnt exist then why are their fossils everywhere? "God created them to confuse us".
    They intentionally ignore facts to support their greedy, Fake, and truly disturbing religions. The thing that truly terrifies me is, What if a religious group turned militarist? Like radical islam, They would kill and destroy. Because in their eyes, They have nothing to lose. Scary, Huh?-Char
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2007
  3. lohki13

lohki13 Former Guest

Yes it is. Look at the witch hunts innocent women died because they were a little smarter than the religious leaders thought they should be.(history channel)
    Christian Cult(any cult in general) leaders who god them that they were to lead. Then god told him they should drink special Kool-aid.

I get a lot of crap for being atheist my jeep has been egged because i have a bumper sticker that say atheist by the grace of me.:D
    It pisses me off because if i say one bad thing about their religion i am evil or just plain stupid.

Cameron.
  4. charagrin

charagrin Former Guest

Yes, Theys brand you a heretic but you know what? Heritec isnt bad, It means free thinker basicly. From latin I believe . Something they dont like. And something else too. Christians say that gays are possesed by the devil making them gay.
    I dont see it since, Being attracted to a partner of the same sex is just their personal taste. If they are possesed for being attracted to men, Am I possesed for being attracted to petite redheads? Or someone for being attracted to ,say, A 60 year old overwieght midgit? NO, They are just personal taste.
    Alot of the rules religions go bye, They just pull out of a hat. Not anywhere officiol or sanctioned bye a holy being.-Char
  5. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Woo Hoo! Trying to stir up the hornet nest,Lokhi? :)

I have to agree that Religious Extremism, is not a good thing. Doesn't matter if it's Islam, Christianity, or whatever. When one religion pushes itself over another, the crapola will hit the fan. While everyone ( or Religion ) has the right to protect themself, the problems starts on offense.

I think the 10 Commandments are a good start just for Rules of Living, not just Christianity. I like the concept of Karma-everything you do comes back around. And I think the Golden Rule is one nobody could argue against.

The argument, " Its part of Gods plan " , has always been hard to swallow for me. Easier to understand that things sometime happen that cannot be explained. Life is what you make it. You get dealt a hand & how you play it is what matters. You don't have that much control over your being. You should just try to do the best you can, with what you have. Don't Worry, Be Happy.

People take comfort in the belief, there is a plan. I think that is where Religion comes in. You have a guidebook (Bible, Koran, etc ), You have a place of planning ( worship ). You have a leader, ( Minister etc ). You have a support group, ( other parishioners ). You get a sense of belonging, peace of mind. That is all wonderful. Most people like some structure of some kind. Fear of dying & the afterlife is a motivator for a lot of people. Religion does a good job of dealing with those fears. It's when the Exremism takes over is where the problems begin.

Just as there is Religious Extremism, There is also Anti-Extremism. You can disagree about whatever, but when it comes to the Extreme, that is a dangerous road to travel for everyone involved, whether they realize it or not. I can be middle of the road for lots of ideas, & in my comfort zone. But when I am crossed, it is hard for me to remain calm & subjective. I can make myself sick over the Extreme thoughts that try to possess me. I am slowly learning to turn the other cheek, but not turn my back. There are lots of Extreme ( bad ) people out there. Short of being a vigilante ( Extremist ? ), there is not much I can do, except call the police as neccessary & keep on the lookout & warn my neighbors, friends & Family.

Prayers & Hope are the same for me. Do your best , Hope for the best.
  6. lohki13

lohki13 Former Guest

*warning* Long post please read whole thing before posting.
    May offend some.

Char.
    I also hate when people bad mouth gay people it isn't right they have free will to choose to do what ever they want. Then you the one who say what happens behind closed doors. Well i take that to mean you don't want them to be able to hold hands or kiss in public.
    Why can't they be married???
    Some religious people say it would be an act of heresy. I just don't under stand how being married is something religious or holy. If i am 18 i can go to the court house bring along a girl spend $100.00 and boom i am married. Seems real religious to me.

Bruce.
    I tend to find there are to types of religious people, besides extremists. People who have their faith and leave it at that, and born again religious who spew forth their message to whoever is in ear shot.
    Don't they know some people don't believe in what they believe in. I have come to the conclusion that they don't care.

I agree with you that people take comfort knowing that if they behave themselves they get to go to some paradise in the sky.:rolleyes:.

I think it comes from that fact that no animal wants to die it will do whatever it can to survive. Sooner or later said animal has to come to terms with it self that it is going to die.

It is part of god plan... makes me laugh every time. So does the lord works in mysterious ways.
    If there was some mysterious man with a Hippy son watching us why does he let things get so ****** up.
    If he was real i would say he is a sadist who enjoys killing and bloodshed.

If we are all god children why was Jesus better than me. I mean at least I work(sometimes), all he seemed to do was walk around performing *miracles*:rolleyes:.
    Looking in history text books it seems they used a lot of heavy drugs&alcohol, maybe that explains how he turned water into wine.

I get told i have no ethics because i don't follow the ten commandments.

I believe everyone has a moral code some just choose to ignore it.

I don't agree with the ten commandments.

1. make me think someone is insecure.

2. Makes sense to me. Let everyone have their own version of paradise. Nothing wrong with a false sense of security.

3.wow someone doesn't like naughty words. G********. Seems i am still alive after saying.

4.Don't know what the sabbath day is,but it has been proven most Christian Holidays are borrowed with small changes from other religions

5.You should honor them, but in some cases parents are abusive to their children, and deserve nothing less than death.

6.DUH!!! common sense, except so see different ways of naming something murder. It shouldn't be considered murder if it was an accident or a crime of passion.(sometime feeling just go whack.)

7.But the grass is always better in the other pair ofpanties.:eek::rolleyes::rolleyes: Cheating on a partner is wrong no matter what. I bet there are plenty of religious zealots who have committed adultery. We are all animals and some people have no self control.

8.I have to agree stealing is wrong.

9. Lying is wrong, but you shouldn't neeed a book to tell you that.

10.Make do with what you have and always strive for something better.

(anyone i agree with is with this little message.)
    No one I mean no one should need a piece of paper to tell right from wrong.

Well I am done running my mouth.
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  7. charagrin

charagrin Former Guest

Are you saying I dissed the gays? One of my Familys closest friend is gay and he can engage in relations with his partner in the middle of the road for all I care. I was talking about religion, I have no quarrels with gays except one thing. THey claim they have the same rights as everyone else and shouldnt be discriminated against. Then they make groups just for gays, And have parades and other stuff, And only they can get in. Thats discrimination.
    As for marridge, It has nothing to do with religion. It is to symbolise your love for your partner. Whether they are same the same gender as you or not. I will aknowledge that alot of our modern culture is affected by religions but we dont need to keep everything from the past. Marridge isnt religious anymore. Just like sunday, Swearing, And chosen religion.
    And for any religious person who wants to say"why keep some religious actions around and not others." Well, Ok. I also remember that martial law was in effect, jews and other minorities were dispised and had no religion, And women had no rights. Lets keep those around too, Whose to decide which are the actions we should keep?-Char
  8. lohki13

lohki13 Former Guest

i was agreeing with you lol. guess i said it wrong sorry.
  9. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Well I can't agree w/ the Gay Marriage issue. I believe marriage is between a Man & Woman. I don't have a problem with Civil Unions for gays. It took me a long time to decide to accept that! I don't see being gay as right, but have seen gay people as both worse & better than straight people. I don't need details on their sexual habits anymore than I want to know anyone else's bedroom exploits.

I cannot stand anyone trying to convert me, whether it is Religion or Sex. There is a Pet Peeve! Of course now that I'm older, I don't get the Converts bugging me like they used to. :D
  10. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I'm ok with gays getting married.... as long as its a gay man with a gay woman, or a gay woman with a gay man.... thats ok with me!!! :D

Bedroom? Does "on the hood of a car" in a walmart parking lot count? :D:D

mike
    gn
  11. Pat Hurley

Pat Hurley Former Guest

What would be most interesting is not more Christian hate speech but, rather, the story of the apparent trauma that some of you have experienced that has caused you to be embittered where God is concerned.

Char has an excuse - he's young, idealistic, and a tad rebellious. What's everybody else's crutch?
  12. charagrin

charagrin Former Guest

My excuse is that for 13 years of my life I had Christianity forced on me. Every day I was forced to go to church to worship a supposed kind god.
    The last one was the worst. Every sunday I was forced to sit down with other kids who were brainwashed into thinking "Jesus loves me" for 4 hours, Followed by another 3 hours of "Outdoorsmans club." In which all us boys sat down and were tought how to survive in the wild by a man who drove around in a cadillac, Wore 500 dollar suits, And lived in a huge house where the closest he got to the wild was his outdoor swimming pool. AKA, The pastor who made a point every sunday to talk about how the church needed money to run.
    People were treated according to how much money they gave. I remember members with less money who were shunned while the people with money were treated like kings. I finally got tired of it and made a point to be as rude as possible so that the pastor and leaders wouldnt let me come anymore.
    And that was just one of over 17 churches I went to while we were moving around the country. Every single one of them asked for money and treated people like garbage. I remember one that tried to get my grandfather to put them in his will, And another who attempted to control its congregations personal finances. My grandfather, Who forced us to do that finally died. We now live in one spot and while my grandmother is religious, She is ok about it. So yes, I am permanently against any and all organized religion. Because the truth is that they are nothing more than a way to get money.
    For those of you out there who go to a real church with a kind parish Im happy for you. But one kind parish in the sea of bad ones isnt the rule. And thats my rant-Char
  13. satellite66

satellite66 New Member

Sounds to me like grandpa kept picking bad churches.
  14. Pat Hurley

Pat Hurley Former Guest

Wow, now I understand your bitterness.

You say that you went to church "every day." Is that true, you went to church 7 days per week, or is that a little hyperbole?

Char, have you ever had a very serious inner monologue and examined the possibility that you are misdirecting your anger? It sounds like your family picked religious communities that made belief and worship of Christ a burden and not a joy. What's more they sound like a bunch of elitist money grubbers who put spport of the church far above all other considerations. This most certainly can have the affect of creating cynics out of young, impressionable minds. That's too bad. In fact, that infuriating.

But I challenge you to focus your anger, your bitterness, and your disappointment, precisely where it belongs. And that is NOT at God's doorstep.

God (Jesus) didn't let you down, your family and their poor selection of places to worship did. You and I are called to believe in spite of sinners, charlatans, money grubbers, frauds, and fools.

Christ gives us all gifts, blessings, AND challenges. Perhaps your challenge is to find that faith community that represents the purity of Christian faith, but behaves and worships in a way that brings honor and not shame to the faith.

Matthew 11:30: "My yoke is easy and my burden is light." If believing in Him is anything but, you've associated with the wrong people, in the wrong church. Think about it. :)
  15. charagrin

charagrin Former Guest

Well, Usually the week days after school, Never really saturday. And I doubt that with all the random churches we managed to get only the bad ones. We moved, And then whatever church was closest to us.
    As for the idea that jesus let me down, I never said that. I basicly said that whilst I like the idea of a divine god. Anthropomorphizing him to human standards is a little assuming.
    And assuming that one religion out of litterally tens of thousands is the only right one without proof is also reaching out a little.
    Most religions taught their own religious books as correct but ignore it when it says something they dont like. The bible, koran, The sayings of Confusious, Neo-Paganistic Writings, Scientology: The Fundamentals Of Thought, And other religious books all have one huge fault that seperates them from their religious deitys. They were all written by people, Not gods, Not demons, Not angels, People. Last time I checked people made stuff up.
    People lie. People make up stories with the purpose to entertain and teach.
    And thats all religious books are. At least thats my take. Everyone has different thoughts. Remember that when you next give money to a church.-Char
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2007