Reload carry ammo

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by GunNut, Nov 16, 2008.

1. GunNut

GunNut New Member

How many of you guys reload you the ammo you carry. And how long did it take you before you were comfortable with your reloading skills to start reloading your carry ammo?
  2. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

I do and I became comfortable after about a 1,000 rounds. I have found a combination that works well for me.
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

According to legal eagles, as documented in major gun magazines, using reloaded ammo can be used against you if you ever have to use your gun in self defense and are involved in a lawsuit because of it. The attorneys can make it sound like you made up "killer" bullets rather than use commercially available ammo. It may sound dumb but it has happened in court cases. Also guns with modified triggers are frond upon by juries as they see it as looking for trouble rather than protecting against it. The safest bet is to use commercial self defense ammo in a completely stock gun, as a protection from the ambulance chasing lawyers and juries that often side with the guilty rather than the victim.

This is my oppinion and yours may vary.

LDBennett
  4. I must agree with LDB on this one; the use of reloads for self-defense carry is just not worth the legal risk if you ever had to use them for real. I will only carry commercially loaded ammo from one of the well-recognized makers such as Federal, Winchester, or the like. Preferably, I will carry the same round carried by the local LEOs. It's pretty hard for an attorney to argue you're some kind of extremist nut case if the ammo you use is identical in type to local law enforcement issue. ;) I will often make up handloads, though, which duplicate law enforcement ammo stats to use for practice.
  5. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

Can anyone cite a single case where reloads have been used against the person defending themselves?

I think Sheriff Wilson asked Shooting Times readers to send in an example where it made any legal difference that someone used reloads and no one was able to. If someone has that info send an e-mail to him and cite state, case number, etc.

I don't have a problem using reloads for carry.
  6. Doug.38PR

Doug.38PR Member

While I don't currently reload as I don't have the tools for it, I purchase ammo from Buffalo Bore (which is pretty much a super charged, yet relatively safe, version of what you find in the stores of any given caliber). For example, I typically carry Remington .38 Spl.+P 158gr Lead Hollow Points in my gun with several speedloaders for extra ammo....and a backup speedloader of Buffalo Bore .38 Spl. +P 158gr Lead Hollow Points in case I ever need the extra "magnumized" power during a gunfight or load up buffalo bore "if my insides tell me to" (as John Wayne said in the Shootist) before I start the day.
    I see no reason why to not do this with reloaded ammo. Carry it as backup ammo if you need some extra punch. While you don't want to go to court, "it's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6."
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  7. bobkreeger

bobkreeger New Member

I have researched pretty thoroughly the LEGAL problems using reloaded ammo for self defense and cannot find one instance of this being a problem. I know my reloads are as good as any factory fodder so I carry my reloads. I seal both the bullet and primer against moisture. In reloading tens of thousands of rounds the only misfires were because I used CCI primers. I will not use CCI primers for self defense or hunting reloads.
  8. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

While using reloads for self defense is not illegal, it MAY put some doubt into the minds of the jurors about your intentions. For example, some sleazy lawyer might infer to the jury that you where out to kill someone and wanted to use ammo that was extra hot and/or expanded to the extreme. It just does not make sense to raise any issue about the gun or the ammo in a self defense shooting. For that reason it might also be safest to use a completely stock gun or at least never mention any gunsmithing done to the gun, like a trigger job.

Juries generally don't know anything about guns or ammunition. It is very easy for a lawyer to raise doubts about your state of mind and intent with things like reloaded ammo and modified guns. Why risk it? You only need one box of factory ammo and keep it for the defense gun use in defense situations only.

bobkreeger, you may be right but if you get in this defense situation, it would not be good to have to explain to your cell mate where you went wrong in the trial!

LDBennett
  9. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

I have made many thousands or rounds and am completely comfortabe with all of it, the only reason I use any factory ammo is cause I was out of reloading cases LOL. After a few hundred rounds you will be like hte rest of us, you really wont believe the difference between what you make and some shmoe on an assembly lines makes.As I dont make HOT rounds I really cant see what the difference in a court of law would make.....:cool:
  10. doug66

doug66 New Member

No, because Massad Ayoob said, NOT TO.
  11. 38 special

38 special New Member

I agree. I heard this before about some lawyer making someone look bad because they reload. It seems to be the most absurd reasoning I have ever heard. There are all kinds of FACTORY cartridges made and advertized for protection i.e. killing or massively damaging a human being. These are FACTORY loads.So if I was a lawyer THAT would be the case to really burn someone.Some maniac that buys hollow point +P loads or some such other FACTORY killer/maimer bullets.Especially someone who never even took the time to know where his gun groups with these loads just buys them cause he thinks oh boy these are the best killer/ maimer bullets. He doesnt care if his gun shoots 5 inches low at 7 yards with these factory loads.Ive seen these people they dont even sight thier gun in- they cant hit a bull in the a**,but they have the killer /maimer bullets.
    Then you have some reloader who actually wants to know where his gun hits with every different load and takes the time to develope a load that is best with the gun not beacuse he wants to kill someone but because He appreciates and strives for accuracy.
    Any lawyer that tried to make some twisted, asinine case against someone because they reload,would be eaten alive by any half competent defense lawyer.But then maybe most defense lawyers are halfwits too.
    Maybe if you are a policeman you are not supposed to reload -maybe some wierd case could be made there. Or if you are ALWAYS going Everywhere with a loaded gun,maybe you are half nuts anyway and so reloading makes you seem even more nuts.
    But for most reloaders I would say they are the LEAST suspicious people.
  12. 38 special

38 special New Member

Good Question.I reload my own but I actually dont carry a loaded handgun around alot. Now in some cities I would feel better carrying a gun loaded but some of the worst cities its illegal to carry even with usual permit. So you'd probably get crucified wheter you had reloads or factory "max damage" cartridges even if you were absolutely justified in shooting someone.
    But in such a case, I'd rather have a reload that I know exactly where it hits than some screaming hot factory load that hits way off where you aim.