Reload old large bore rimfire

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by dartswinger, Jan 8, 2010.

1. dartswinger

dartswinger Member

I am trying to reload for an old black pwdr. rimfire rifle. The only problem is priming. I have original cases in excellent cond. and bullets no prob. I can make excellent priming via the 'match-head' method. (those of you who know, know what I'm talking about) My problem is what kind of adhesive or some such can I use to keep priming in rim, so it doesn't just fall out while handling or going thru action. Thus far I've been fishing a wafer of duct tape into the case, works but very iffy. Please don't do what Answers site did and simply say it's impossible, I know it's doable. How else can one enjoy shooting something old, ammo is nonexistant -or- way too expensive for a simple working stiff like me.
  2. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

My buddy Rick lost one of his arms & an eye trying to make his own priming compound. The "matchhead" method is as you describe-iffy. When you find out how to safely, reliably re-prime rimfires be sure & post your method here. Rick & I would love to see it.
  3. RandyP

RandyP Member

What caliber?

I have no solutions to offer, just curious. My brain was wandering thinking there might be a center-fire caliber that could be re-sized to work?
  4. dartswinger

dartswinger Member

Don't underestimate my common sense, I'm not a chemist and have no intention of trying 'make my own' explosives (made it over 60yrs with all my parts) What I can do with what's available is functional enough for my purposes. I just need some sort of adhesive that will firmly retain mixture in rim (doesn't do much good if it falls out). Rifle is .44, won't be more specific, don't want to be told where I can get it for a rediculously outrageous price. Capitalism has its dirty underside and we are becoming a nation of helpless beings who can't do anything for themselves, maybe I'm just one of last of a dying breed!
  5. RandyP

RandyP Member

Not to be a helpless capitalist, but more a curious reloader. Would not creating a dozen rounds in centerfire brass (if your rifle firing pin would line up) that you could reload in the field with black powder and readily available primers and of course bullets you cast on your own wood stove, let you do things for yourself?

Have you priced the rampant capitalism at work in the hospital Emergency Rooms??? One quick trip there would pay for a butt-load of "store-bought" brass........IMHO
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  6. dartswinger

dartswinger Member

Ah geeze, this is just what I hoped wouldn't happen on a site with supposedly knowledgable and 'sharing' gun enthusiasts. I just asked a simple question regarding adhesives not for pontification on why I shouldn't or couldn't (I have one of those female types that has that position well filled) Thanks anyway guys, consider this question withdrawn.
  7. larsf

larsf New Member

8. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

RandyP - don't think there are many center-fire cases that would help with one of the old rim-fire set ups. The firing pin strike area is gonna be a problem.

Dartswinger - I think maybe a total home made solution is way out there on the edge. Dixie Gun Works offered a set up years back that used a 22 rimfire case (as a primer)that was somehow inletted into a larger caliber brass case. If that was used in a single shot rifle, it would work, but maybe not in a repeater or a revolver.

I've heard the term 'match-head' priming, but I know nothing about it. I don't recommend it, but if you wanted to research the early rim fire cases, it shouldn't be that tough to find library references on the old rimfire priming and how it was locked into the case.

You seem to be a smart fella, and I'm sure you're gonna stay away from making your own priming compound. Even smart people are tempted to monkey around with making this sort of thing - and powder, too. Good luck, and be safe with this one.
  9. RandyP

RandyP Member

Hi Jim,

I had that feeling as I was making the post actually - lol - but whenever I read somebody post an inquiry on information on how to make dangerous or perhaps illegal items (not that a primer would be illegal) I prefer to 'pontificate' on the side of caution. There are far too many folks out there who started their road to doom with the sentence "Hold my beer and watch this." The internet does not afford us the ability to judge how a person is speaking nor know their level of 'smarts'.
  10. Gearheadpyro

Gearheadpyro New Member

That's an interesting site larsf. Thanks for sharing.
  11. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

Years ago I knew an old guy that reloaded rimfire Spencer cases. He made a devise to spin out the FP dent in the fired case (and clean out any crud left in the rim cavity. He started with the ground glass/matchhead mix, found it unsatisfactory and developed some kind on a better mix. (I never found out what it was.) Then he found that after a few loadings he started having rim failures from the overworked brass. He finally gave up and just machined a centerfire breechblock for his Spencer and made up some appropriate cases.
    I believe these breech blocks are currently commercially avaiable.
    I have converted Swiss Veterlli rimfires to centerfire, but that is a pretty simple conversion.
    So, depending what you are trying to shoot, conversion might be a viable option.
  12. danyboy

danyboy New Member

Converted the Veterlli into a centerfire pretty easy. As for other rimfire reloading, H&C Collection has decent reloading kits using .22 acorn blanks as primers and off-center primer hole cases. Check their website, click on the british flag for english text. I reload 32 RF with their kit and it works ok.
  13. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i have a cordless screwdriver that runs at top speed about 50 RPM

first i use a dolly to remove the dent then take the dolly off and add a blank end

( the dolly is a old screwdriver end i've smoothed and rounded and shaped to but the rim back as it was)

with blu tac i stick the case top the bottom of this and run it for a few minutes while the primer mix dries ( match head mix using cellulose )

the centrifugal force will pull the primer to the rim and out of harms way

i've not made many but have a old .40 cal rimfire here i load every so often for the hell of it

i do not reload .22 RF
  14. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

double post, sorry...