Reload or Buy new

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by 25yretcoastie, Feb 6, 2012.

1. 25yretcoastie

25yretcoastie Member

Is it really cheaper to reload than buy new and is it possable to send brass out to be reloaded then use it again 7.62X39 , 30 cal carbine and 45 acp

Thanks all
  2. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

Yes, it's cheaper on a per-round basis to reload your ammo than to buy new. The brass cases the most expensive component of ammunition, so reusing that reduces the total cost.

Some smaller ammo manufacturers will reload your brass for you. The one local to me is Profire Arms & Supply, though his website seems to be lacking function at the moment. It really should be back up before long, and I'm sure that there is someone down your way that does the same thing.
  3. Waldog

Waldog Member

Yes it is cheaper to reload than buy new. Anywhere from 30% to 70% cheaper. Remember your brass cases can be reloaded several times. I don't know of anybody that reloads as a service. There is a HUGE liability issue. You can buy "reloads" or "re-manufactured" ammo at gun shows. But they are nearly as expensive as regular factory ammo.

It amazes me the number of people that LOVE to shoot but, don't have any intention of learning to reload. AS long as you follow the rules, it's easy, safe and, economical.

BTW, from your screen name I see your retired USCG. My son is active duty USCG and I am retired Navy; 24 years. Son LOVES IT!!
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  4. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

For me yes. I have been collecting all the lead that I can possably find for years. I have about 500 lbs now. Pawn shops can have fishing weights because they buy the whole tackle box from the person and they will sell it cheap. Bid it like you want to steal it. You'd be surprised how low they will do on lead. Wheels weights, and lead ingots at gun shows are a god idea. Also, when you are wheeling and dealing for a gun at a gun show, when you are at your rock bottom price for the gun, have them throw some lead in with the gun if they have any, and you will be walking out with the gun and a bunch of lead. It works for me. Then cast your own bullets, or split it with a buddy that does cast, it's fun. Brass can be found where you shoot, and let your work cronies know that you will take any brass they don't want. I let everyone know that at work. the majority of people buy their ammo and burn it up. Encourage them to pick it up (keeping the world cleaner) and let you have it. Now when I go to work, I will come in, and there will be a box of once shot brass just sitting there. I don't tell them what to bring, I just take it all. Then I throw the undesirable stuff out. If you don't shoot hot loads, you can reuse your brass repeatedly, like sometimes a dozen times, especially if you learn to anneal them. Then , purchase your powder in bigger quantities when a store has a store wide sale. Same with primers. Also, I don't max my loads out. It is less stress on the gun. It keeps me from aquiring a flinching habit, and my powder lasts longer. My shootning is cheap, and reloading is a great get away. Make it a hobby to do it cheap and you will not just save money, but you'll be shooting more. I hope you do it.

Jim
  5. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

In a quick answer to your post, you can save lots by reloading vs buying new ammo.

Then it's 'off to the races' on this often asked subject. By joining this site, I assume that you are into firearms and shooting. At least to me, reloading is an extension of this most safistying and enjoyable hobby.

I've learned SO MUCH by reloading (and casting lead bullets) about the various firearms that I collect and shoot. Kind like seeing post by shooters who claim that they seldom - if ever - clean their weapons after shooting. I don't see either reloading or maintenance as a 'bother'. Just a part of the process.
  6. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

The 7.62x39 isn't going to save you much by reloading over the cost of surplus, in fact it will probably cost more. You will and can get much better accuracy with your handloads though. For almost all other ammo, you'll be much better off reloading in the long run.

Here's a link to a great read on why people reload. Much more to it than just making bullets. There's quite a few posts, but well worth reading them all.

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=86685&highlight=reasons reload

7. 25yretcoastie

25yretcoastie Member

I do like to shoot and the guns I have, well the 30 carbine is not cheap. But I just don't know how much it would cost to set up a basic reload bench against just buying new ammo.

As far as cleaning goes, I do a field strip after every trip to the range no matter how many or few rounds I fired thru each gun.

a
  8. woolleyworm

Just rough but ballpark numbers, you can get fully set-up to reload all those calibers for about $300 on the low end if you buy some used equipt, etc. You'll save approx 50% on reloading just as a very conservative estimate. Based on your ammo needs, how long would it take you to recoup your $300?
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  9. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

You can get into reloading for around $200 using all Lee equipment, maybe less if you went with ultra-bargain-basement Smartreloader.

I'm in closer to $500, but I have Lyman (mostly), Hornady, Lee, RCBS, and Redding stuff. Plus both digital and dial calipers. And I'm buying stuff that I intend to use for 50 years or more, so I'm buying higher-end items.

Everyone gets to pick what to use for himself. Some choose all one brand, some mix and match. Some choose best quality at any price, some choose lowest price, some seek best value for the money.

But it's definitely a worthwhile hobby.
  10. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

I have Lee equipment and can get set-up and loading for less than $200. save over 50% loading .30-06 rounds. Even more on pistol calibers.
  11. gcalloway

gcalloway New Member

I do not know if you save money. It seems I spend a lot on reloading equiptment and do not have time to shoot much. I do find that reloading gives me time to myself and helps me clear my mind. It is cheaper than just sitting around drinking and you do not get those headaches caused by bad ice. I know it could not have been the Jim Beam.
  12. prof_fate

prof_fate Former Guest

I"m just getting into reloading.

At the local gunstore I bought 100 lead bullets ($5.50 - 5.5c each), 100 once fired brass (it will last a long long time so we'll ignore it's cost for the calculating but it was $6, so 6c each), primers and powder come in larger quantites, but for 100 rounds it works out to less than 5c each. So less than 11c a round. I also bought 100 jacketed bullets for $12.95, so with them a round costs about 19c.

The cheapest ammo I can find is at walmart, $20/100 or 20c a round - and I get to keep the brass. Very comparable in price, but I get no choices - one bullet type and weight and whatever load of powder they want. And walmart is sometimes sold out.

Gander Mountain had CCI Blazer on sale 350 rounds for $90 - or 25c a round (and you can keep the brass).

Everything to reload cost me $350 (lee loadmaster, a few special dies, bullet feeder, scale - you don't need all of it). I could have gotten by for $100 less. You can get other lee presses for less - depends on what you want to do, how much you plan to do, how fast you want to do it, etc

Most seem to get into reloading not so much to 'save money' as to be able to afford to shoot more. If I can afford to spend $50 at the range on ammo I can shoot a lot more if I reload my own ammo. Some do it for control - you can make the ammo to be exactly what you want it to be. I also think availability is a factor too - i've been to the store and not found the ammo I want - so I can't shoot at all. That sucks the most.
  13. cutter

cutter New Member

If you find you like reloading you will end up spending a good chunk of cash. I will probably break even in the years to come but I don't have to hunt for different calibers. Single stage presses are the best way to start (cheapest and easiest) but slowest. If you reload enough you will want a progressive press and there is a wide range of prices and features in those. I like reloading and the best benifit is I have loaded ammo for any caliber that I want to shoot instead of wanting to shoot this gun and not having any ammo. I try to tell everyone that shoots should have the basics for reloading just for the reason I mentioned. Decide what brand (they all have thier + and - ) and get reloading. Oh the most important step is to read up on how to reload, buy a few different manuals and spend some time reading!!! Good luck!!
  14. 25yretcoastie

25yretcoastie Member

Thanks for all the fine info guys, sounds like I may have to look more into.
    Once again thanks

Steve
  15. woolleyworm

Bad ice will get ya every time! :D:D

I enjoy the quiet and time for myself too; I just love cranking out round after round of beautiful shiny ammo!