Reload or Buy new

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by 25yretcoastie, Feb 6, 2012.

1. zant

zant Member

Reloading is cheap at the beginning and gets more and more expensive-first it's 1 or 2 calibers,then you see how cheap and accurate your loads are,then it's more calibers-and more firearms to eat your reloads,then it's some nifty new equipment,then it's casting and tons of lead---then your wife is screaming because she never sees you and 2 rooms of the house are loaded with cool reloading stuff...but it IS cheaper than drinking:)
  2. prof_fate

prof_fate Former Guest

I'm already thinking of guns I could get to reload for...so yeah, I think you're right.
  3. 25yretcoastie

25yretcoastie New Member

Thanks for all the information guys, just one last question. How many times can u reload the brass?
    Well maybe more than one question.

Can you reload steel cases?

From what you are telling me I think the best for me is to compleate my collection only two more to go then I think I can talk the wife into reloading after she see's the cost of ammo.

Thanks again
    Steve
  4. RustyFN

RustyFN New Member

If you buy in bulk you can load for 50% of what the cheap ammo cost. If you learn to cast some day and get free lead you can load much cheaper. Where it gets expensive is when you pick up range brass and end up with 1,500 45 auto cases and don't have anything to shoot them in so you go buy a 1911. Don't ask me how I know this. :D
  5. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Depends on the cartridge. Bottle-necked cases, figure 3 to 8, maybe up to 10.
    Straight-walled cases, figure higher. Probably up to twenty if you're not loading too hot and you keep finding them.

Yes, you can. But it's a bad idea. It'll put a lot of unnecessary stress on your equipment (especially the dies), and you're likely to ruin $50 in equipment to save $5 in brass.
  6. prof_fate

prof_fate Former Guest

Rifle brass 10 to 20 times, pistol brass...can't say it's unlimited but nearly so.
    Rifle brass stretches and needs trimmed so the neck area gets thinner over time and cracks.
    Pistols don't do that. Read a test someone did - reloaded some cases 150 times just fine - then gave up counting.
  7. 25yretcoastie

25yretcoastie New Member

Rusty, The 45acp would be ok to pick up as one of those is on my list also, and for the 30cal carbine I guess it would be better in the long run to buy cases or factory load brass caseings and reload those
  8. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I've lost count on how many times I have reloaded my .223 cases and my .357 cases. They have more than paid for themselves. I had to discard one .357 case...cracked.
    One of the best things reloading does is to let you "tune" the round to your gun to get the best precision. I've done that with both calibers that I reload. I can reload pistol caliber for about half the cost of new ammo, .223 for about a third the cost of new ammo. I found a used progressive press. Dies, kinetic puller, scales, powder pan/funnel, case trimmers, primer pocket cleaner, Lee zip-trim, primer seater, de-burring tool...plus heads, primers, and powder...I think that's about all, but I think it's paid for itself in the first year. I've reloades well over 1000 rounds of each caliber over the course of the last year. That is low volume compared with some here. Oh...almost forgot; a workbench to work on.

Reloading is addictive.

It gives you flexibility with your cartridges and all the fun of developing the best load for your gun. You can feel proud when you hear the bang and see the holes appearing in the target in a better pattern than commercial loads could give, and know that "I made that".
  9. cranky cj

cranky cj New Member

Cheaper? Maybe, maybe not when you figure in how deep you tend to get into it. However, when you figure in the high end bullets for hunting you can load specifically to your gun and you also shoot more and spend more time getting better to test out your hand loads, it could turn out to be cheaper.

Look at it like this, and I think most hand loaders do, it is a hobby.

Last season my 14 yr old son shot his first deer with a round he himself hand loaded specific to his gun. His sense of accomplishment was appearant on several levels.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  10. like it all

like it all Member

Handloading can be much cheaper or only a little cheaper depending on how far you go with it. If your comparing equal quality of materials and performance it's a lot cheaper. I currently load a 175 grain semi wad cutter for my 40S&W at around a nickel a shot. Thats $2.50 a box of 50. This is using home cast bullets made from wheel weights, 231 powder, and WW primers. Thats cheaper than rimfires. Rifle ammo is more expensive but you can build some exotic loads for about $10.00 a box of 20, which would compete with the so called premium stuff going for $35 and up. But you can cut that price down with shopping for componants
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2012