Reload Question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by jpmccr, Nov 24, 2008.

1. jpmccr

jpmccr Member

Ok, this might be a repeat but then I am also a curious person as well. Reloads: would it be prudent to use them? I have read in other sites that reloads not be used in rifles such as my 300 H&H. I have someone who will do loads for me as I can supply the supplies. How many of you out there do your own loads? I live in a town house so I do not have the space to set up a reload operation. Also what are the common loads to reload? My ammo would include .38, .357, .45, 300 H&H, 30-06, 30-30, 25-30, 250-300, and .22 (can you really reload a .22???) I was thinking that maybe when I went to my Mom's in VA, I could get my brother to help me do my own because he has the room. Thanks is advance . . .
  2. muddober

muddober Active Member

You can safely and economically reload for everything you mentioned accept the 22. Reloading will give you far more options on bullet weights and powder charge then will factory loadings. The 22 I think you are referencing is a rim fire meaning the primer is built into the casing and while it could be done it would not be economical at all. I hope that helps.
  3. Mark

Mark New Member

I would feel confident using my reloads, stuff from another person is always a question for me.
    I'm sure there are people as qualified as me, but there's always a question in my mind.

Reloading isn't difficult, I think getting started is the toughest part. Once you are successful, knowledge grows exponentially based on the first success.
    Mark
  4. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

I started a few months ago and love the results as well as the actual loading. I saves money, it's fun, and once you see your groups get small everytime you do something right you are hooked. It is easy to get a lot of money involved, but you can also do it very cheaply. My advice is read many manuals and go very very slow to start. Good luck.
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

It is NOT a good idea to shoot anyone elses reloaded ammo. What if he makes a mistake and your gun blows up or you get hurt and someone near you at the range gets hurt? Either buy commercially reloaded ammo or reload your own but NEVER shoot anyone elses reloads!

If you decide to reload then get educated before you buy anything. Any good reloading manual from Hornady, Speer, Hodgdon, or Sierra, have good reloading "How-to" sections. The Hornady manual is especially good as they explain how the cartridge works (its a gasket!) in detail with pictures which helps to understand the process of reloading.

In actuality, the reloading stuff does not have to be permanently set up. It can be erected on to a small sturdy table and used, then put away after you are done. It of course is better if it remains set up and in an area that is easy to clean up. My set up is in a spare bedroom where I do all gun related things. One of my safes is in there, I have a bench for gunsmithing guns, and two benches for reloading. The door to that bedroom gets locked whenever the grandkids come over.

LDBennett
  6. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Don't know who would have said not to shoot reloads in you 300 H&H...I have not shot a factory load in any of mine (3) for many years. Factory ammo is what you need for practice to get a reloadable case! Neck size them only, and use them in the same rifle and you will be fine. This is true for all of your rifles and the brass will last MUCH longer. Plus there are some pretty clever folding reloading stations on the market that require little storgae space, designed for apartments and such. Have a great Thanksgiving!:D:D Best regards Kirk
  7. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we

Reloads: would it be prudent to use them? Yes, but not for SD. They are great for target practice, and for hunting.

How many of you out there do your own loads? A lot of us reload, it's a lot cheaper than manufactured ammo.

I live in a town house so I do not have the space to set up a reload operation. Yes you do! There are reloading devices out there that will literly fit in your pocket. They're called hand loaders. Lee used to make a single stage press that fits in a wooden box not much larger than a shoe box. The press was attached to the box with three bolts, and it could be set up on your dining table or a coffe table, provided the table was strong enough for this work. If you want to get into reloading, there are many ways to do it.
  8. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
  9. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Yup, that little Lee hand press is perfectly usable if you're short on space. I've carried one in my portable reloading kit for years. It takes a pretty strong set of arms to full-length resize large rifle cases (30-06 & longer) but for pistol cartridges and short rifle cartridges it works great.

I'm a part-time apartment dweller too. My reloading station (complete with a bench-mounted press and powder measure) at the apartment is built on a recycled 27" console TV case and all my equipment can be packed into one milk crate that fits inside the gutted TV case. The case is still on it's caster wheels, so it's a piece of cake to wheel it from room to room if needed.

If you stick with just that Lee hand press, you can fit all the goods in just that milk crate and use the kitchen table for the occasional reloading session though too.

I have done some reloading for trusted friends, but it's normally advised not to go that route...I do let others use my setup if they want to give reloading a try too. A lot of those guys have wound up buying their own set up after a session or two. Most of my shooting buddies have our own setups, so usually we just share dies and equipment for calibers that we don't have but the others do.

Reloading "to save money" is kind of a little fallacy. It does give you good bang for your buck though if you can excuse the pun. Reloading brings down the cost per round...but you usually wind up shooting more so you're still spending the cash anyway. :D
  10. jpmccr

jpmccr Member

Lots to think about. Thanks for all of the information. I will have to let you guys know what happens. Would love to get to the range but it feels like the bottom has fallen out of the thermometer. Will have to wait for warmer weather. . . . . .