The Firearms Forum banner

Reloaded 308 wont chamber in round. Bolt wont close!! Remington 700

6K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  soundguy 
#1 ·
I loaded some 308 using LC brass and Sierra Bullets. The neck size that its currently is 0.3365in. The case length is 1.9935 in. The neck is at .449. Everything is within limits i dont understand why its not chambering. I bought some winchester 308 and they chamber fine. Smooth as possible. I also load 223 and 30-06 but these 308 have been a pain in the a$$...

#2 ·
You didn't wait for the Lee Factory Crimp Die, did you?

I see the problem as being the crimp you put in it crushed the shoulder just enough to not allow chambering. Back off on the crimp/bullet seating die enough NOT to crimp it at all and see it one will chamber.

#7 ·
Actually, you do need it unless you are shooting single shot rifle.

EDIT: If you are shooting a bolt action and especially a semi-automatic, the concussion/recoil of the round going off can cause the bullet to move in the brass of the other ones in the magazine. It is unlikely that it will happen but it CAN.

#13 ·
Don't know if this will help but here is my $.02 worth...

I normally neck size my cases. After a while the rounds are hard to chamber, so I full-length size and the problem goes away.

JFWIW

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.