Reloadin' for my 45!!!

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by BigBang, Mar 31, 2005.

1. BigBang

BigBang New Member

Hey Guys,

Been shooting quite a bit lately. Have found that I like 185 grain ammo much better for target/indoor range. It seems as if you can either go with the 230 grain or the 185. It's hard to find a deal on the lighter load 45 acp.
    So since i'm shooting so much I thought it would be rewarding/economical to start reloading. Don't know where to begin. Please, tell me where to start, Equipment, methods, etc. Thanks for any and all input.

B.B.
  2. Smoky14

Smoky14 Member

I started by reading every book I could find on the subject, then re-read them and it finally came to me. I then got a Dillon press and all the necessary tools and got with the program.
    It is rewarding and requires your undivided attention to be successful. Been at it now for almost 20yrs. Press on and good luck.
    Smoky the loader
  3. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

A link for Dillon. www.dillonprecision.com

Best press you will ever own and will load a bunch of .45ACP in a short amount of time. And yes, they have tech support.
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I, too, have been reloading for over 20 years but was introduced to it while in college 40 years ago. 20 years ago I bought a Dillon and have not looked back. I did , along the way, also own progressive presses from Hornady, and Lee. Both where nothing but trouble. The Dillon keeps on ticking.

I reload for over 40 calibers. The quick change feature of my 550B Dillon makes reloading for multiple caliber in one session easy. If something does break I just call Dillon and the part is there within a day or two, always at no cost (lifetime warrentee and they mean it!). Their little monthly magazine always includes a story about replacing a failed press. But we're talking about one that burned up in a house fires, or fell off a truck. Dillon changed the industry as far a reliable progressive presses and customer service. Because of Dillon, companies like RCBS now have the same warrentees.

I highly suggest that you only buy a progressive press that has the capbilites of reloading all calibers (both handgun and rifle). With a single stage press it takes so long to reload anything that it becomes a chore, not fun. With a progressive press you feed it a case and a bullet and with every pull of the handle you get a completed cartridge. Single stage presses take seperate operations for sizing/priming, powder charging, and bullet seating-three steps instead of one. You may not own other guns right now but you will. Reloading is therapeutic for me. You may find that you like to reload too.

While other presses are available believe me the best is the Dillon 550B! Right price, good service, durable press.

LDBennett
  5. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

I agree with Smoky about the reading part. Read every book you can find on the subject......

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/104-5625748-8609538

After you've read and reread a bunch of reloading books....and if you decide you really want to get into reloading, c'mon back and we'll be glad to advise you on what type of equipment you need to get started.
  6. tex45acp

tex45acp New Member

Until about 3 years ago all I ever used for my reloading was a single stage RCBS Rock Chucker Press. I could really make some great loads and they were very consistient in their performance. Single stage reloading all but eliminates the possibility of double charging the cases with powder.
    I then bought a Dillon Square Deal B to load for the semi-auto round guzzlers and have never looked back. I have probably loaded close to 25,000 rounds through this little jewel and like a timex watch it has taken a likin' and just keeps on tikkin'.

I still use the RCBS press for my .41mag loads used for handgun hunting whitetails. I just really like the way the loader works with the long cases and the tungsten carbide full length resizing die and using no lube.
  7. BigZig

BigZig New Member

Hello, BigBang,
    I just started reloading my own .45 rounds last week. I am not a fan of recoil either. I load a 200gr lead SWC with 4 grs of 700X ~ a nice target load. However, don't take my recipe for your own ~ get a good recipe book to follow. My gun shop sold me a Dillon 550. I was kinda apprehensive about starting but after some very good instruction, I loaded 20 or so practice rounds right there at the shop and then fired them there at the range ~ just to get a little confidence. No Kabooms. So home I went. I loaded my first 100 and had a few inverted primers, a few loaded rounds without primers, even one double powder load (which I caught before seating the projectile). I was interrupted about 7 different times. The really scary part was going to the range to shoot them! No Kabooms. I just loaded another 189 rounds tonight. Advice ~ NO booze ~ NO interruptions ~ TOTAL CONCENTRATION! This is serious stuff! If you make a mistake you can harm yourself, others, and your weapon. I will not load anymore if there is someone around the house. I wait till I am alone and don't answer the phone, the door, or anything else. I concentrate. I really do enjoy loading my own. It makes me feel proud. Good luck!