The Firearms Forum banner

Reloading: 10mm, 180gr., IMR 800-X

9K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  chipmechanic 
#1 ·
I've always wanted a 10mm. I made the purchase of a Glock 20sf, but since I live in CA, it'll be awhile before I get to shoot it. In the meantime, I've been reloading for it and I have no intent of firing my reloads through the stock barrel. I'm purchasing a fully supported KKM barrel for it soon. With that said, I question some of the load data from the books and from some of the users that I've found on other forums. The bullet I'm using is 180gr. double plated (Xtreme Bullets). The powder is IMR 800-X. Below are the specs I've found from my reloading manuals:

Lyman 49th Ed.
Min: 6.8gr. Max: 8.4gr.

Lee 2nd Ed.
Min: 7.7gr. Max: 8.7gr.

Hodgdon
Min. n/a Max: 8.7gr.

Now, I've looked at some of the data on HandLoads website and some have loaded this same round up to 10.6 grains. That seems nuts. This specific users data shows he got 1,382fps with this 10.6 grain load with a JHP and noted: "NO adverse pressure signs BUT start 10% lower and work up to this load. Handgun used: Glock Model 20 w/standard 4.6" barrel & 24# recoil spring."

I've read about several people loading in the mid 9gr. range. I don't feel safe going beyond that the max is, BUT both the Lyman and Lee are very modest with their loads when it comes to .40 and 10mm and the pressure c.u.p. If I remember right, max pressure by SAAMI specs is 37,000. These books data pressures are in the mid 20,000's. Does this mean there's plenty more room to up the max grain? Why are they so modest with their loads when it comes to these calibers?

My whole point to all of this is... I own a .40. I love it, but I bought the 10mm cause I wanted something with more umph. I don't want to be loading the same exact bullet and shooting it at the same velocity, but out of a longer casing. I want to be able to feel the difference and it feel like a different gun. It seems like the books are keeping the 10mm at the same velocities as the .40, or at least very close to it. Anyone have any input on this? Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
When I loaded up some Berry's, I used the Berry site recommendation to use the lead or jacketed choices in the manuals of those where Berry's are listed. I did so, but also sent them an email asking them for their recommended COL. They sent me their internal recommended COL which were different than the manuals they stated I could use. It might be an idea to send them an email asking them to see what they recommend.

#3 ·
The 10mm loadings I use with 180 grainers and Power Pistol exceed .40 by a decent margin, all of which are from Lyman and Speer. If you want to load something far beyond the .40, try loading the 230gr hardcast from doubletap. Exceeding published load data simply for braggin rights is a fools venture in my book.

Reactions: Bindernut
#4 ·
Hornady lists 6.3gr-8.8gr 800-X as min/max with the 180gr XTP. Max load velocity listed as 1200fps.
Same bullet out of the .40 has a max load of 7.6gr for 1050fps. That looks like a reasonable performance increase to me.
I don't load for a 10mm though, just .40.

As for using loads that some Joe Schmo (myself included) has posted on the net without verifying them against manufacturer tested/published data...not smart.
Do you have the proper pressure test equipment to verify that the next step up is still safe or is it over the max pressure spec?
This is where having a whole book shelf full of manuals to cross-reference data comes in handy.

#6 ·
I never go above the highest grain weight than what one of my manuals say is "max." I'm very cautious when it comes to reloading. 8.7 is the highest I've seen, so I'd never surpass that until the day another legit manual comes out telling me it's ok. 10.6 just seems absurd. I have the Lyman book, the Lee book and all the powder manufacturers yearly manuals they issue out. I only go with someone elses recipe as long as their grain weight falls within what's safe.

Caneman, where are you finding your 200gr. .40/10mm bullets? I use GunBot to help me find what I need, but I haven't been able to find any 200's for reloading yet. I was looking at the Underwood Ammo last night. They have a 220 that reaches 1,200. Doubletap has a 230 that apparently reaches 1,120 out of the Glock 20. I do need a camping load. Last time I went salmon fishing here in Northern CA, we had a momma bear and cub come to the opposite side of the river from our tent. At that time, I had my 12g. with me with slugs as my just-in-case firearm.

Bindernut - Thanks for the Hornady info. I was curious what their book would recommend. I text a buddy about it the other day and never got a reply. I've been reloading the 800-X at 8.0gr. for the meantime. I'll step up from there after I have the gun in my hands as well as the new barrel.

#7 ·
Chris, Nosler makes a decent 200gr HP load for the 10mm, not sure where i got them but if you look around you can find them... there is good 10mm enthusiasts forum called 10mm-firearms.com and they usually post reloading component finds... after this last ammo scare i decided to make my own swaging dies so now i just swage 9mm range range brass and make 190gr 10mm HP out of them... i also cast my own 225gr hard cast bullets, so i dont have to worry about shortages now... don't know about Underwood or Doubletap, but i have use Parabellum 200gr and clocked them at 1250 fps, nice cartridges... but if you are just starting out, i would recommend Longshot as it is an excellent powder for the 10. Get yourself 1,000 Starline brass cases, and 8# jug of Longshot.... and go from there :)

#8 ·
Ive shot hundreds of rounds of 180 grain truncated cone FMJ with 10.6 to 11 grains of 800X at 1.255" OAL through my Glock 29 with a Lone Wolf Barrel. No signs of overpressure and reasonable recoil.

I get horrible overpressure signs shooting underwoood 155 grain with the stock Glock barrel including flattened extruding primers and split cases.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.