Reloading 200g SWC's in .45 Colt

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by The_Vigilante, Feb 28, 2011.

1. The_Vigilante

The_Vigilante New Member

I would like to reload my 200g SWC's for plinking in my .45 Colt Redhawk. I am contemplating using 4.6g of Clays. My question(s) regard seating and crimping this load. Should I seat and crimp it to the lube groove of the bullet? If I do that I get an OAL of over 1.70 which is way over the max of the published OAL of 1.60. Or I can seat it like I would seat it in a .45 ACP with about 1/16" of the lip showing. If I seat it like this would I use a roll crimp or taper crimp? Even seating it near the lip still gives me an OAL over 1.60. Comments, suggestions, recommendations. Thanks in advance.
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Check and see how long your chambers are. I loaded, a few years back, a couple of boxes of 45 Colt using 200 grain SWCs. Never even considered they would be overlong. Seated them, if memory serves, with the shoulder flush with the mouth of the case, just like 45 ACP. Used them in two different Colt clones, and had no problems with them being too long. I can't find any of them, right now, but I just put a dummy together. Measures 1.62.

Hodgdon's website lists loads up to 1.67 oal, and that page says they are for Colt revolvers and clones.

A few thousands oversize will not make a difference in the cartridge, as far as pressure/accuracy/that kind of thing. The only problem would be if it is too long to fit the chamber.
  3. dardascastbullets

dardascastbullets New Member

You have to seat the bullet deep enough (to begin with) to cover the lube ring. You will find that leaving some of the shoulder exposed (whatever dimension that will turn out to be) will be ideal for your firearm. A very slight taper crimp will suffice.

Good luck with your shooting!