reloading .357 mag

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Grahajp, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Grahajp

Grahajp New Member

I recently recieved a box of Hornady 180 gr HP/XTP bullets as a gift (and can't take 'em back). I am sort of a newbie to reloading but reload 158 gr for the .357 Mag with H110 powder. Is it possible to reload this heavier weight of bullet... or should I just forget it and sell them to someone that has a rifle?
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Here is just one load that you can use. Any good reloading manual will have data on reloading the 180gr. bullets for .357.
    Accurate powder: No.9 180 HDY XTP 10.8 = 1,059fps; 12.0 = 1,202 @ 33,540psi; c0l = 1.575"
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  3. Grahajp

Grahajp New Member

Thank you for the input Carver. I think I will keep them and give it a try.
  4. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

The answer to your question is... yes, you can use the H-110 with those bullets.
    Lyman shows:
    start ld- 13.4 gr @ 947 fps
    max ld- 14.5 gr @ 1101 fps
    primer- SPM
    OAL- 1.585"
    (the max charge was the most accurate tested)

Both Hodgdon and Lee have loads available for that bullet and powder as well. Look them up.
  5. Grahajp

Grahajp New Member

Thanks howlIn. I'll do my research.
  6. howlnmad

Glad to be of some help. But PLEASE double check my posting. I'm a lousy sexitary and my typing is even worse. :D
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

the 180s penetrate like nothing else on hogs...;)
  8. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Yup, I have loaded the 180gr XTP/HP (and the Sierra 170gr JHP) for whitetail in the past.
    I used to use AA#9, but the Hornady manual has data for H110 too.

Hornady's listed max load for the 180gr is only 13.1gr though (which doesn't really jive with howlin's Lyman data) so as he already suggested double-check the data before you start.

Also, you can check Hodgdon's online reloading data. http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp
    They show the 180gr (Nosler Partition instead of XTP though) having a max of 13.5gr H110.
  9. Grahajp

Grahajp New Member

Agreed...he did say he WAS a lousy sexitary :D
  10. howlnmad

Bindernut
    That is strange because both Lee and Hodgdon have a lower starting load but I double checked and that's what's printed in my Lyman 49th edition. Lee also calls for SP primers while Hodgdon and Lyman both call for SPM primers.I don't have my Hornady with me so I can't look in that one.

howlnmad
  11. muddober

muddober Active Member

The 14.5 grains of H110, 180 grain bullets with small magnum primers is all just fine. You will not shoot many of them in an alloy stuby without a sore hand but in an all steel gun with a 4" or better barrel while recoil will be stout it is tolerable and safe.

Ron
  12. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Yeah...it's interesting how much loads can vary between the different manuals.
    All boils down to what gun (or pressure barrel) was used for the load, the lot of powder, brass, primer, weather on the day the data was logged, etc.
    I don't have a current Lyman manual (haven't bought one for years), but it's very well possible that they found a higher charge before hitting the pressure peak for the cartridge.
    I'm not saying your Lyman data is flawed...it is just higher than what I've got in my books so I figured it would be good to post the usual warning to double-check especially since the OP admitted that he's fairly new to reloading.

I don't know how to 'splain all the differences...it is just kinda odd some times! :) That's why I like to have several manuals handy to cross-reference data.
  13. Grahajp

Grahajp New Member

It is a GP100 w/ a 6" shrouded barrel. I will start with a lghter load and work it up, just to be safe. Probably won't be as bad as my .41 Mag with max loads though...it will make the hand ache after several rounds thru it!
  14. Grahajp

Grahajp New Member

Thanks to each of you for your input, I really do appreciate it. I don't have a lot of experience and hearing from my Seniors:eek:with the experience means alot.