1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Reloading .40 S&W for a Glock 22

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Telcotech, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Telcotech

Telcotech Member

Came into possession of a Glock 22, and was hoping to handload for it. Heard through some conversation's that it may not be advisable to do so. Can someone explain why that may be the case? When I received the gun, it came w/ 80 rnds of factory 165 grn and I also purchased another 80 rnds of 165 grn solid 'target loads'. I have shot all of these factory rounds without an issue....and w/ the addition of some Hogue slip-on grips...I like the pistol. Now w/ 160 rnds of brass w/ at least another 200 rnds. of range brass, I feel I'm ready to reload. Just thought I'd ask the 'pros' here before going forward. I've been reloading for handgun/rifle since 1975, so reloading is not new to me. I have at present 200 rnds of Hornady 155 grn XTP bullets, and was planning on doing my 1st 25 rnds or so w/ HP-38. If the pistol fires factory rnds without issue, why would reloads cause a problem? After all we are duplicating factory ammo......to an extent.;)
  2. Evins74s

Evins74s Member

I had the same question. Spoke to a officer and he said that you can reload for the Glock. He said that the reason they say no is b/c it would void the company warranty, if you bought it brand new. But since you and I both bought the gun used then the warranty is already no good. He told me to reload away. He reloads for his Glocks and has had no problems. Hope this helps.
  3. ckelley

ckelley Member

One reason some advise against reloading for a Glock is that use of lead bullets in the Glock's barrel can cause excessive leading which could cause excessive pressure levels. Another problem with reloading Glocks, especially the older Glock 22's is the infamous Glock bulge. The bulge can be fixed with Redding's GRx die, or Lee's Bulge Buster die. One easy and fairly inexpensive way to take care of both problems: buy an aftermarket barrel with traditional rifling and tighter chamber. I reload for my G22 gen 3 with the factory barrel, I only use jacked or plated rounds, and run all my brass through the GRx die before I reload it.
  4. Telcotech

Telcotech Member

Thanks guy's for the replies. My Glock 22 was born in 2008, and is a GEN 3 I believe. Also, never had any intentions of loading lead bullets, just jacketed. It took me a few rnds to get used to the gun, but i'm enjoying it now, and am planning on keeping it. I got a heck of a deal on it, it has the Trijicon nite sights installed, and also came w/ a Blackhawk holster, plus the orig. 80 rnds. The guy I purchased it from was relocating to Florida w/ Sears, and needed some extra $$$, he had never shot the gun. Purchased the Glock, and a 5hp Toro snowblower in excellent shape at fire-sale price of $400....wish I could come across deals like that more often. I'll look into the Redding GRx die. Thanks again....

TT
  5. PanhandlePop

PanhandlePop Member

Great Deal! All I shoot out of my Glock 23 is reloads, except for some store bought SD rounds. With a Gen 3 (which yours would be if built in '08), I would just load away! Aside from the possible lead issue (I do run lead through 9 mm and 45 Glocks) is the care needed to make sure you don't double charge this high pressure round (actually that applies to any round, doesn't it). My recommendation would be to use a moderately slow powder (something like WSF) and visually inspect each charged case before seating the bullet.

A good purchase for your new gun would be a 40cal to 9mm conversion barrel (especially if you don't reload, you can go with cheaper ammo). They are drop in, but require the use of 9mm mags.
  6. norahc

norahc Active Member

An hour's drive from the nearest McDonald's
    All my range ammo for my Glocks is handloads, and I have the 17, 20, 23, and 30.
  7. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

I'm not certain if the gen 3 is an unsupported chamber, may some glockies can chime in here, but I would highly recommend buying some roll sized brass. Resizing 40 twice is just not fun for the reloader. If you are thinking about using brass from range pickup just be prepared to debulge ALL of it since its difficult to go through it piece by piece looking for the bulge, and since the G20 is a popular gun there seems to be huge amounts of the stuff mixed in.

Check out precision delta for their deals on roll sized 40 brass, they also come clean and decapped, pretty good deal; something like $40 per k.
  8. Bigr Bang Thry

Bigr Bang Thry Member

I routinely run reloads through both my model 22 and model 27, as well as my S&W 4006. All .40 S&W . I've never had any problems at all. Both of my Glocks are older than your Gen 3. I don't think you'll have any issues. With the 155gr XTP, I've had good results with both WSL and UNIVERSAL. I also load 180gr GOLD DOT's with Universal, and once upon a time with WAP. Have Fun !
  9. al45lc

al45lc Active Member

I ran tons of lead bullets through my .40 cal Glock. (I cast my own) When I heard about the problems with leading and over pressure, I just took my lead remover to the range with me and pulled it through every 50 rds or so, never had a problem.
    Only takes a few minutes to dis-assemble and de-lead.
  10. Telcotech

Telcotech Member

Nice replies...guy's....thanks a bunch. I feel alot better now about the reloads and this weekend I think I'll crank out 20 rnds or so and hit the range....might get into the high 40's for Sunday.
  11. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

My recipe of choice right now for my 17

115gr RN plated
    W231 5.9gr
    Range brass
    Winchester small primers

I love feeding my own.
  12. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

You've already heard it but here is another endorsement of doing so. It's a fact, I've fired hundreds of handloads through my Gen. 3 model 22 without any problems.