reloading 44mag

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by harleyhobie, Feb 1, 2010.

1. harleyhobie

harleyhobie New Member

i'm trying to reload 44mag 240gr semi-wads and am not sure how far the bullet should be seated. there's a line around the bullet but if i stop there it dosen't fit in the cylinder,also if i put one so its the same height as a factory it is tight in cylinder. any tips or help would be appreciated
  2. mikld

mikld Active Member

My best answer would be read "The ABCs of Reloading". Normally bullets are loaded to the cannalure and/or crimp groove. What gun? What mfg. bullet? I'm not familiar with any 240 SWC bullet that's too long for my S&W 629 or Ruger SBH. Does tight in the cylinder mean it's too big in diameter?
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Your Reloading Manual will give you the correct COL (correct overall length) for any caliber. Hornady lists the .44Mag. as Maximum COL .... 1.610". I reload 240gr. SWC all the time, and have never had a problem. By "it doesn't fit in the cylender" I hope you mean diameter, that should be no more than .430". You might be seating the bullet too low, that would cause a bulge at the case mouth, and would exceed your .430 diameter.
  4. Ranb

Ranb Former Guest

When you size the brass, are you going all the way down and sizing as much as possible? How much crimp are you putting on it? Too much crimp and the brass can buckle and bulge making for a tight fit in the cylinder. If the expander is not long enough, the case can bulge unevenly when seating the bullet and make loading hard. How long is the loaded cartridge when seated to the crimping groove?

Ranb
  5. harleyhobie

harleyhobie New Member

I read the lyman manuel back in sept but apparently forgot it had the oal for the cartridges. after i read your posts i reread that part and yes thats whats wrong, diameter is ok drops in the cylinder fine but at end it gets tight because of the length.
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

.44 mag revolver cylinders will usually accept a cartridge that is less then 1.72." long. I know the saami COAL is set to 1.61, but this is mainly due to lever guns and semi autos chambered in .44 mag. The most popular bullet ever designed for the .44 mag is the 245 gr kieth SWC. its COAL is 1.72" and will fire in revolvers but not lever actions or semi autos...
  7. Gatofeo

Gatofeo New Member

Remote Utah desert, separated from Oblivion by a s
    "... diameter is ok drops in the cylinder fine but at end it gets tight because of the length."

Hmmmm ... methinks I see a clue.
    Have you been shooting .44 Specials with lead bullets in that revolver? If so, you may have a ring of lead built up where the shorter .44 Special case meets the lead bullet.
    This ring of lead in the chambers can prevent the long .44 Magnum case from fully entering the chamber.
    So, your problem may not be related to bullet crimp at all, but the need to clean your chambers more thoroughly. Get a .50-caliber brass brush, put it in a short length of cleaning rod, chuck the other end of the cleaning rod in a cordless drill, dip the brush into gun cleaning solvent and slowly rotate the brush in the chamber, where it chokes down toward the front.
    That's where the lead will build up. No need to run the brush at high speed, just enough to keep it turning. But use brass! Stainless steel brushes may enlarge your chamber at that point, with frequent use.

Let us know if you fix the problem, and what caused it.