1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Reloading 45 ACP

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

BlackGun
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/12/01 12:00:54 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Reloading 45 ACP
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I haven't reloaded in years, so it's like starting all over again, I need equiptment, so please se my want, wish add in WTB..

I'm looking for a good formula for a good load using a230 Gr. round nosed FMJ bullet. what powder, how many grains, the general tell me, I don't have a book yet. Thanks for any input
    rules for survival: Sight alignment, Breath control, & Trigger Squeeze
    BlackGUN

AntiqueDr
    (9/12/01 12:21:55 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Reloading 45 ACP
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My all-time favorite general purpose load for the 230gr FMJ is 6.0 grains of Unique with standard CCI pistol primers.

5.0 grains of WW-231 works well too and probably flows easier through automatic powder measures.

I have used both the Lee 1000 and the Dillon 550 progressive loaders. The Lee is less expensive and does work OK, but the Dillon runs a little smoother.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

AGunguy
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/12/01 12:32:41 pm)
    BlackGun, do yourself a favor and get with the Dillon 550 B press, full automation is the way to go in tedious repetive loading operations. Like Doc said...smooth and quick...you'll love it.

Loading with it will soon pay for itself.

Try AA No. 5 powder, it burns very clean in .45 acp. Look to the loading tables to push bullet in the 800 fps + range. Shouldn't be any bullet drop at normal shooting ranges with that oompth.

Gunguy

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/13/01 12:06:50 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Reloading 45 ACP
    Dillon all the way!
    Using similar numbers for both Unique and Win231.

Also, be careful with the crimp! I managed to mis-set my crimp die (need to buy some more tool heads for the Dillon, so I can quit screwing around changing dies), and ran off 200rds with too strong a crimp, getting several failures-to-fire since some rounds aren't headspacing properly.

Rich

Xracer
    (9/18/01 7:55:58 am)
    Doc hit the nail on the head. Equivalent factory load for 230 FMJ is 6.0 gr. of Unique with CCI Large Pistol primers.