Reloading 45 ACP

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

BlackGun
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/12/01 12:00:54 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Reloading 45 ACP
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I haven't reloaded in years, so it's like starting all over again, I need equiptment, so please se my want, wish add in WTB..

I'm looking for a good formula for a good load using a230 Gr. round nosed FMJ bullet. what powder, how many grains, the general tell me, I don't have a book yet. Thanks for any input
    rules for survival: Sight alignment, Breath control, & Trigger Squeeze
    BlackGUN

AntiqueDr
    (9/12/01 12:21:55 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Reloading 45 ACP
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My all-time favorite general purpose load for the 230gr FMJ is 6.0 grains of Unique with standard CCI pistol primers.

5.0 grains of WW-231 works well too and probably flows easier through automatic powder measures.

I have used both the Lee 1000 and the Dillon 550 progressive loaders. The Lee is less expensive and does work OK, but the Dillon runs a little smoother.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

AGunguy
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/12/01 12:32:41 pm)
    BlackGun, do yourself a favor and get with the Dillon 550 B press, full automation is the way to go in tedious repetive loading operations. Like Doc said...smooth and quick...you'll love it.

Loading with it will soon pay for itself.

Try AA No. 5 powder, it burns very clean in .45 acp. Look to the loading tables to push bullet in the 800 fps + range. Shouldn't be any bullet drop at normal shooting ranges with that oompth.

Gunguy

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/13/01 12:06:50 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Reloading 45 ACP
    Dillon all the way!
    Using similar numbers for both Unique and Win231.

Also, be careful with the crimp! I managed to mis-set my crimp die (need to buy some more tool heads for the Dillon, so I can quit screwing around changing dies), and ran off 200rds with too strong a crimp, getting several failures-to-fire since some rounds aren't headspacing properly.

Rich

Xracer
    (9/18/01 7:55:58 am)
    Doc hit the nail on the head. Equivalent factory load for 230 FMJ is 6.0 gr. of Unique with CCI Large Pistol primers.