reloading 50 ae and 440 car bon

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

1badassmagnum
    (11/20/02 11:50:43 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All reloading 50 ae and 440 car bon
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    any hints you guys can give me reloading these expensive casings?
    powder recommendations,supplies etc?
    new to reloading and could use some help.thanks in advance.

tuckerd1
    *TFF Staff*
    (11/21/02 3:26:41 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: reloading 50 ae and 440 car bon
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Welcome to the board. I'm not familiar with loading these calibers, but some of our members are and should be along later to provide some help. Until then here are a few links that may help.

Starline Brass

Midway USA

Midsouth Shooters Supply

Reloading & Handloading Links

1badassmagnum
    (11/21/02 5:01:37 pm)
    thanks for the welcome
    midway is awesome,ordered my dies,brass,bullets,calipers,and other small accessories from them.
    $200 bucks for the 440 dies YIKES !
    I was able to locate the rcbs kit,powder,primers,and other assorted tools locally but not 1 store in the cleveland ohio area carried any 50 ae supplies or cor bon ammo.
    I have 1 lone box of 50 ae ammo waiting to be tested saturday,and cannot wait.
    I'm now broke,so I'll be waiting patiently for my package to arrive(yea right).

tuckerd1
    *TFF Staff*
    (11/21/02 5:14:25 pm)
    I can feel how patient you are! LOL! Been there before and will be again. Good luck with your reloading. Keep asking the questions. These guys will get back in here and someone will help.

1badassmagnum
    (11/22/02 2:44:32 am)
    I would imagine the dies are where the secrets are held.I've heard the 440 barrel has been discontinued by magnum research,probably because of the price associated with shooting this round.I dont quite understand the concept of creating a caliber then making it so expensive nobody wants to shoot it (cor bon). The concept sounds good to me,put the power of the 50 behind a smaller 44 round with less recoil and excellent ballistics. but $40 for a box of factory rounds is really funny.I like to be different,thats one reason I bought the 50/440 setup.

KhaineMInc
    (1/25/03 4:48:17 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Crimp Die for the AE 50
    Have any of you found a crimp die for the AE .50? I have everything but that and it is a definate requirement for reloading this round.

1badmagnum
    (1/26/03 2:10:51 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Crimp Die for the AE 50
    I have a 50 ae set of dies for handloading the 50 ae.a single die is usually about $20 so your better of buying the whole set.
    although a fellow forum member doesnt even use a form die,he just puts a 50 ae case into the corbon decapping die,with plenty of lube and forms his cases that way.
    I tried this and it does seem to work,I'm just leary of the wear on the expensive set of corbon dies.
    the neck has to be the corect dimension,along with the col to make ammo that chambers correctly.
    DO NOT BUY THE RCBS FORM DIE!
    $150 for one small die and an extended shell holder,what a rip off,your better off just buying the 50,45,44,and corbon dies as in the future you will most likely need them

loader44
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/27/03 10:56:27 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del reloading for the 50ae
    Hi all, lets see if this will post.

Yes, it is me, Loader44. I am still up in St.Paul. Still very cold.